I am a begginer looking for bike buying advice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John2364, May 25, 2003.

  1. John2364

    John2364 Guest

    I have been looking at bikes online for a couple of weeks now and I am about ready to make a
    purchase. I am prety fimilar on how to find my size and everything. I am looking for an entry level
    bike, perhaps, just a little bit above the typical consumer bike which you would find in a general
    sporting goods store. I am looking to spend $250, I figure that I will upgrade it latter if I feel
    then need to. anyways my problem is that there are a ton of diffrent bike manufacturers, and types
    of bikes. some like mongoos make real shitty to good quality bikes. so I have no idea of what I
    should get. I am basicly looking for some advice on assesing the quality of a bike, so I know what
    to look for. I am slightly considering a fuji bike which I saw on ebay for $225. does anyone here
    know anything about these?

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    [email protected] thoughtfully penned:
    > I have been looking at bikes online for a couple of weeks now and I am about ready to make a
    > purchase. I am prety fimilar on how to find my size and everything. I am looking for an entry
    > level bike, perhaps, just a little bit above the typical consumer bike which you would find in a
    > general sporting goods store. I am looking to spend $250, I figure that I will upgrade it latter
    > if I feel then need to. anyways my problem is that there are a ton of diffrent bike manufacturers,
    > and types of bikes. some like mongoos make real shitty to good quality bikes. so I have no idea of
    > what I should get. I am basicly looking for some advice on assesing the quality of a bike, so I
    > know what to look for. I am slightly considering a fuji bike which I saw on ebay for $225. does
    > anyone here know anything about these?

    http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/ might help. I'm afrain $250 wont' get you very much good bike.

    Penny

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > [email protected] thoughtfully penned:
    > > I have been looking at bikes online for a couple of weeks now and I am about ready to make a
    > > purchase. I am prety fimilar on how to find my size and everything. I am looking for an entry
    > > level bike, perhaps, just a little bit above the typical consumer bike which you would find in a
    > > general sporting goods store. I am looking to spend $250, I figure that I will upgrade it latter
    > > if I feel then need to. anyways my problem is that there are a ton of diffrent bike
    > > manufacturers, and types of bikes. some like mongoos make real shitty to good quality bikes. so
    > > I have no idea of what I should get. I am basicly looking for some advice on assesing the
    > > quality of a bike, so I know what to look for. I am slightly considering a fuji bike which I saw
    > > on ebay for $225. does anyone here know anything about these?
    >
    > http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/ might help. I'm afrain $250 wont' get you very much good bike.
    >
    > Penny

    Hehehe...you're starting to sound like the Vietnamese guy who owns my LBS.

    Mike

  4. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > > [email protected] thoughtfully penned:
    > > > I have been looking at bikes online for a couple of weeks now and I am about ready to make a
    > > > purchase. I am prety fimilar on how to find my size and everything. I am looking for an entry
    > > > level bike, perhaps, just a little bit above the typical consumer bike which you would find in
    > > > a general sporting goods store. I am looking to spend $250, I figure that I will upgrade it
    > > > latter if I feel then need to. anyways my problem is that there are a ton of diffrent bike
    > > > manufacturers, and types of bikes. some like mongoos make real shitty to good quality bikes.
    > > > so I have no idea of what I should get. I am basicly looking for some advice on assesing the
    > > > quality of a bike, so I know what to look for. I am slightly considering a fuji bike which I
    > > > saw on ebay for $225. does anyone here know anything about these?
    > >
    > > http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/ might help. I'm afrain $250 wont' get
    you
    > > very much good bike.
    > >
    > > Penny
    > >

    > Hehehe...you're starting to sound like the Vietnamese guy who owns my LBS.
    >
    > Mike

    Or our guy at the local Fish and Chip shop... "Two scoop yippy coming up!"

    Unfortunately when it comes to bikes, you get what you pay for and $250 doesn't buy you very much
    these days. Today's bikes are little marvels of technology too; with different manufacturing
    processes and materials and doo-dads and bells and whistles the money is quickly spent. Instead of
    buying new, it might make sense to buy second-hand. If you buy wisely you could get quite a good
    "pre-loved" bike.
    --
    Westie

  5. [email protected] wrote:
    >I am looking to spend $250, I figure that I will upgrade it latter if I feel then need to.

    at that price range there is not gonna be a lot inteh way of "Quality". perhaps a rigid steel
    frame with entry level componentry like the Gary Fisher; Gitchee Gumee on close-out. Or
    Specialized hardrock

    > I have no idea of what I should get.

    One that fits

  6. John2364

    John2364 Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > [email protected] thoughtfully penned:
    > > >
    > > > http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/ might help. I'm afrain $250 wont' get
    > you
    > > > very much good bike.
    > > >
    > > > Penny
    > > >

    > > Hehehe...you're starting to sound like the Vietnamese guy who owns my LBS.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > Or our guy at the local Fish and Chip shop... "Two scoop yippy coming up!"
    >
    > Unfortunately when it comes to bikes, you get what you pay for and $250 doesn't buy you very much
    > these days. Today's bikes are little marvels of technology too; with different manufacturing
    > processes and materials and doo-dads and bells and whistles the money is quickly spent. Instead of
    > buying new, it might make sense to buy second-hand. If you buy wisely you could get quite a good
    > "pre-loved" bike.

    I was thinking about getting a used bike, but I have also seem some closeouts on old models that
    were previously 500 for like 250 or even
    219. for me 250 will buy me a bike that I can use to decide weather I want to invest more into this
    hobby. I am more or less just looking on advise on how to asses the quality of what I am
    getting. which that web site had a lot of usefull info in it.

  7. ClydesdaleMTB says:

    >at that price range there is not gonna be a lot inteh way of "Quality". perhaps a rigid steel
    >frame with entry level componentry like the Gary Fisher; Gitchee Gumee on close-out. Or
    >Specialized hardrock

    Give me a couple of days to decide whether I want to take that personally, woodja?

    ;-)

    Steve

  8. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    [email protected] said...

    > I have been looking at bikes online for a couple of weeks now and I am about ready to make a
    > purchase. I am prety fimilar on how to find my size and everything. I am looking for an entry
    > level bike, perhaps, just a little bit above the typical consumer bike which you would find in a
    > general sporting goods store. I am looking to spend $250, I figure that I will upgrade it latter
    > if I feel then need to. anyways my problem is that there are a ton of diffrent bike manufacturers,
    > and types of bikes. some like mongoos make real shitty to good quality bikes. so I have no idea of
    > what I should get. I am basicly looking for some advice on assesing the quality of a bike, so I
    > know what to look for. I am slightly considering a fuji bike which I saw on ebay for $225. does
    > anyone here know anything about these?

    For that money, I would buy used. I have seen quite a few barely used nice bikes go for that money
    on eBay. I saw a like new GT Tequesta go for less than that and it is a very nice bike. I know, I
    have had one for more than 4 years. If you want new then a Mongoose on some sort of blowout sale
    from somewhere like Dick's sporting goods might actually be about as good as you are going to get
    for $250. I saw some advertised in a flyer in the paper a while back that sounded good for the
    money. Fuji makes a wide range of bikes and they are generally well respected for making good bang
    for the buck bikes, but they are not on the radar screen of bike snobs, at least not their
    mountain bikes.

  9. John2364

    John2364 Guest

    Mike Vandeman wrote:

    > exposed for the dangerous, idiotic activity that it IS. It is evolution

    So, then: mountain biking actually causes alterations in the gametes?

    Pete H

    --
    The unspoken word is capital. We can invest it or we can squander it.
    M. Twain