I am by far the the biggest loser and joker on a bike

zwiggelbig

Jan 17, 2011
Hey guys this forum is so awesome! I thought maybe you guys could give me some advice althought I don't even know if thats even possible anymore.

I just like to post something about my werid storry. Its really long so if its to long I am sorry..

I am 23 years old. Weight 54kg and am 169cm. I live in Holland and ride a pinarello with its steer upside down and 3 rings under it to get the steer higher.

I have a verry stupid reason for what i am/was trying to accomplish wich I don't know if I should tell but allright.
I kinda suck at everything in life. Like seriousley..I got ADHD ( I am really chaotic and even worse then oscar freire )
all the things I love to do I can't really. I did a study but I got kicked out of school because I am to nice to tell peple what to do so I can't give lead to people so they diddn't let me finish it. And thanks to that not much schools want to let me do a study. I do love selling so I once had a job at a Apple store wich I loved. But because of my adhd I can't concentrate 2 much and make stupid mistakes and got fired. So I kinda have to accept that I shall never earn more then 2k a month wich isn't what I thought of when I was a kid. I also got teased all my life in my city because I was the only black person in town. Now why does that mathers.. Well whenever I go out here and see all those kids who used to tease me have soooo much more succes in life as in great jobs, girlfriends, sport succes etc. Can't stand that.

So when I started cycling 3 years ago this was a big motivator. Not to reach the pro's or so. But a sponsored team or small continental team. If only I could reach that by working just as hard as Wiggo.. That would be awesome! Most club riders I know just train 10-15 hours a week so I thought well if I do 20 up to 24 and be more serious it should be possible..

I started in the spring of 2010 and that winter i did not train much. Did do a test of 100 watts and every minute 25 watts increase. I got 5,8 watts a kg and 72vo2 max. No idea what it ment. I just thought I am so light all I gotta do is ride out races in Holland and then go to spain or france. ( that was a bit to easy hehe )

I started that first season at the amateurs with not much training in my legs that winter. Maybe not even 10 4 hour+ rides. I just started having a trainer. My first race I dropped in 3km. All other criteriums was just about how many times I got lapped. I usualy dropped all in the first rounds. Halfway I once had the first half of a race in a amateur criterium. I usualy dropped because I let gaps happen before a corner or after a corner.

That winter I trained really hard. Had 4000km from october half dec but then got an injury untill june. I then started again but this time with Scott Saifer as my coach. I bought a powertap and my first 2 hour rides were just 130-140watts avg. We did a really hard schedule. it was 4 days 2 hours 1 days rest untill I did 4 days 2,5 hours 1 day rest, then 3 then 3,5 then 4 utnill 4 days 5 hours and 1 day rest. My endurance watts went up to 4 hours 170 watts avg.

My first big classic was 5km. I then got the most awefull pain when I was off the pack. My lungs started burning like hell, my troath hurted like hell, I had to cough lot and even puked. I could not do a thing for 10 minutes. 2nd classic I had 15km. ( even continentals here) I got in the first group after a massive fall but again I had intensity problems and had to drop off because of that.
Then a circuit race I had also 15km and then another race where I had 25km. Yesterday I had another classic with one big continental team at the front. after 100m and the first corner they already went up to 55-60 and things broke. Their were 4 corners in the beginning shortly after. and yu really had to sprint so hard out of it. I got trouble with doing that then ride a bit at max speed and then do it again short after. after 2km everyone started passing me. I think I would have to ride about 300-325 watts here cozz the continental guy at the front was doing about 350w average and I couldnt even do 250watts.. ( I did some intervalls at 3x15min at 250 watts myself)

all the criteriums I have done so far I did not even made it up to the first round or 2 rounds..

So and this guy really thought he could get one level higher then club teams by doing soo much training.. I just did if even wiggo at that level could still make so much progress..I could do it aswell against my club riders..

I don't train to much on high intensity. Igot a diffrent trainer who lets me do endurance at 130 hr. My max is 201. I have one training race each thursday ( never rode it out. usually drop first 15min and then race it out ) and one team intesity training on the thuesday.

And I don't want to quit cozz I give up so fast always on things.. And don't want to go back to amateurs ( elite now) they go just as hard in the beginning. If only I can get true the first hard part.. I really believed I could train so hard to improve it to 5,5- 6watts a kg sustained.. I even never have done some serious powertraining. got my injury of that the last time so I am scared. Just don't know what to do anymore.. I am willing to do 20hours+ but if I have anti cycling genes then it won't ever work

So thats my story. I go to race after race spend so much money only to get dropped soo fast time over time. Untill yesterday I did had improvement each race thought..

I am having trouble sorting out just how strong you are throughout that whole mess, but from what I recall of some of your other posts you have a decent FTP/kg. That said it sounds like you jumped right into the deep end and have not ever given yourself a chance to actually LEARN HOW TO RACE A BIKE. One thing is for sure though getting dropped in 5min of every race won't teach you that and eventually without any type of significant result you will likely have trouble staying motivated and will quit. My advice, take a big step back and work your way up the proper way, like it or not bike racing is not ALL ABOUT #s.

Seems like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. The best athletes are the ones that truely love what they are doing. Everytime you touch a bike you should ask yourself if you are training because you love to ride or beacuse you just want to reach some end goal. Be mindful of your riding and enjoy your training, the rest will take care of itself.

Spend that money on a good coach, you sound like you need it.

Also join a club and ride with more experienced racers.

Edit: saw in your post that you do have a coach. What does he think about your getting dropped 15 min into a race? You really need to race at your level, no sense racing with fast guys if you end up on your own all the time. If he thinks this is a good strategy for improvement, you might need a new coach...

Hi sorry for my late reply! Ok so I understand where you all are comming from with the go ride at lower level. Done that. It does not mather for me. This weekend I had a race. I dropped within 2km. But I KNOW I got the power to atleast get half race if I get true start intensity. But.. I start near the front. Within 2 corners I have already let many people pass me and I am nearthe back. Then comes a corner where I am scared to stick close to his wheel so I brake more and then I just get big gap and I close it. Then corner I get the same. I dont dare ro take the corner as fast as others. So I drop. Other criterium. I started with a big sprint passed all and got to first ten. Corner went left. Everyone goes left out of the wind. I was right side and I just couldn't get in the wheels. KEPT letting them pass me. Then corner to the right and that freaks me out even more. The peleton line is left and I am on the Inside. Here I break massivly and lose even more spots..the entire first round I was in the wind. Cornwr comes where they pull through for few 100m hard I drop. Nothing to do with power. Amateurs I had the same. I just suck at the starting kms. I must train corners and dare to stay close in the first kms at the 50+ speeds :( Luckily I keep Improving. Every week I do a training race with club. First time this year I dropped 10 times.2 weeks ago 4 times but this week.. All of sudden I could close a few gaps (just cant take over then hehe) could follow everything 3rd in a point sprint and of the finish was 100m earlier I would have won :s And yesterday I did a training. 2, 5 hours 171 watts avg 149hf (205max) 28.4km/h

Originally Posted by zwiggelbig .

Hi sorry for my late reply!

Ok so I understand where you all are comming from with the go ride at lower level. Done that. It does not mather for me. This weekend I had a race. I dropped within 2km. But I KNOW I got the power to atleast get half race if I get true start intensity. But..

I start near the front. Within 2 corners I have already let many people pass me and I am nearthe back. Then comes a corner where I am scared to stick close to his wheel so I brake more and then I just get big gap and I close it. Then corner I get the same. I dont dare ro take the corner as fast as others. So I drop.

Other criterium. I started with a big sprint passed all and got to first ten. Corner went left. Everyone goes left out of the wind. I was right side and I just couldn't get in the wheels. KEPT letting them pass me. Then corner to the right and that freaks me out even more. The peleton line is left and I am on the Inside. Here I break massivly and lose even more spots..the entire first round I was in the wind. Cornwr comes where they pull through for few 100m hard I drop.

Nothing to do with power. Amateurs I had the same. I just suck at the starting kms.

I must train corners and dare to stay close in the first kms at the 50+ speeds /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

Luckily I keep Improving. Every week I do a training race with club. First time this year I dropped 10 times.2 weeks ago 4 times but this week.. All of sudden I could close a few gaps (just cant take over then hehe) could follow everything 3rd in a point sprint and of the finish was 100m earlier I would have won :s

And yesterday I did a training. 2, 5 hours 171 watts avg 149hf (205max) 28.4km/h
Just keep training and racing, you're living in one of the best countries on the planet for bike racing

Well.. Since I am only 54kg and I either ride criteriums with big 70+kg guys or classics with 2 much wind and big open fields where I don't survive the beginnings yet or circuit races with also almost always 2 much wind it kinda sucks :p

And the racing level is quite high here at some races!

Dude no offense, but you sound like one scary sucker to be around!!!

Originally Posted by zwiggelbig .

Well.. Since I am only 54kg and I either ride criteriums with big 70+kg guys or classics with 2 much wind and big open fields where I don't survive the beginnings yet or circuit races with also almost always 2 much wind it kinda sucks :p

And the racing level is quite high here at some races!
Hang in there, you probably need to work on following wheels better to. Being a little guy, you'll get tons of shelter from following a big 80kg powerhouse.

Sounds like you need more confidence and better bike handling skills too. Pick up a MTB or cyclocross bike and start working on it! I used to live in Holland (Utrecht) so I know there are lots of forest paths and sandy trails to work on cornering and finding your limits on a bike without crashing on hard road. Ideally race some cyclocross this winter (which is basically a road bike with knobby tires) and it'll make a huge difference to your skill level.

Are there no circuits which don't have sharp corners? The Nedereinseberg near Utrecht is a nice little purpose-built crit circuit, lots of soft corners and bends, ideal for learning positioning in the bunch I would think. Nothing like that where you live?