I am completely in the dark coming in...

MatPresco

Mar 21, 2011
I really haven't done too much research into anything yet (I'm headed to google after posting this to search away) but I have found that one of the best ways to learn about something is to ask people about how they think. So I'm a beginner to the cycling world. I'm currently a student at University. I swam and ran in high school, and always thought about doing triathlons, but never actually did any. At the moment I would like to start looking into triathlons, but before I do that feel I need to become a cyclist so that I can combine the new cyclist me with the already form swimmer me and runner me. I am just looking for basic info on the kind of things I need to be looking for when looking for a bike. I know that my size will matter, and the purpose for the bike is key (such as: I don't think I am going to need a mountain bike for the road races and tris I am going to be doing). But that is about all I know at this point. Any info is helpful. If I need to explain more of my situation just let me know. Thanks in advance. -Mat

buy directly a Triathlon Bike, train with that one and compete with that one. If you can afford it, buy 2 sets of wheels, 1 for training and 1 for racing. Don't forget to study for your college degree at the same time !

Wow... I had no idea the startup cost I would be looking at with this. I guess I didn't say that I would be on a budget, but yeah... I have thought about buying something used if I could find it, but I'm still not sure. What would you guys say is the lowest I could expect to spend on a new bike that might actually be worth a damn?

It really depends on what kind of budget you would be looking at. A cheaper alternative would be to buy a standard road bike and then stick some clip-on tri handle bars on the standard racing handle bars. It's cheap and effective if your on a budget. When you stick the word triathlon in front of anything, the price just goes up. The same with the word, wedding.
For instance...

So I have been looking into the material over the past week or so, and I think I am a bit more on track. I have been thinking about getting a Trek 1.1 It's a cheap entry level bike and it still seems very capable. It is a road bike compared to a tri bike, but from what I have been told by people I've talked to it would be a good bike to train with for a few years, and good enough to participate in a few easy tris if I even get that far. Anyone ever done a tri on one of these? Or does anyone have any experiences worth sharing? Loved it? Hated it? Thanks in advance guys. -Mat