I am new here,

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by pskov_recipe, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. pskov_recipe

    pskov_recipe Guest

    I am new here, My name is Natalia.

    This weekend I am going to make Chinese Beef Brisket,
    thank you for the recipe. I love to cook.
    I have a camera and love to take photos.
    http://recipe.atspace.com/second.htm

    Chinese Beef Brisket

    1/2 cup rice wine
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    3 ounces yellow rock sugar; about 2 walnut sized lump
    1 (1 1/2 -inch) piece ginger; sliced
    3 star anise
    1/2 cinnamon stick
    1 (2-inch) piece dried
    tangerine peel
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    2 teaspoons fennel seeds
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    (optional)
    2 green onions, sliced
    (optional)
    asian red chile sauce
    (optional)
    1 3 lb. beef brisket

    1. Choose a large pot or Dutch oven just wide enough to hold the beef
    brisket. Fill it with enough water to submerge the brisket. Bring the
    water to a boil. Carefully lower the brisket into the pot. Boil it for
    about 3 minutes (this gets rid of the impurities, which rise to the
    surface as foam).

    2. Using tongs, carefully transfer the brisket to a colander and rinse
    it in cool water. Set aside. Discard the cooking water and rinse the
    pot.

    3. In the pot, combine 6 cups water, the rice wine, soy sauce, rock
    sugar, ginger slices, star anise, cinnamon stick and dried tangerine
    peel. Bundle up the cumin and fennel seeds in a piece of cheesecloth
    and tie it shut with a piece of string. Add to the pot.

    4. Cover the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and
    carefully place the brisket in the liquid. If necessary, add more
    water to ensure that the brisket is covered. Return to a boil, then
    simmer for about 2 hours, until fork-tender.

    5. Remove from the heat, uncover and allow to cool. Remove the spices,
    then refrigerate the brisket overnight to allow the flavors to meld.
    (If serving immediately, proceed to the next step.)

    6. Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and cut into one-third-inch
    slices. If the brisket was cooled or refrigerated, place the pieces in
    a large saucepan and ladle in just enough of the braising liquid to
    cover.

    Warm over medium heat until heated through.

    7. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon or tongs, and arrange the
    pieces on a serving platter. Pour a little of the liquid over the
    beef. If you want a thicker sauce, cover the beef with foil to keep
    warm. In a cup, combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Bring
    1 cup of the braising liquid to a boil and add the cornstarch mixture,
    cooking and stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Pour the sauce
    over the beef. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired, and serve
    with red chile sauce.

    8. Save the remaining braising liquid. Strain into an airtight
    container and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze. Discard any
    congealed fat on the surface. The next time you make brisket, use this
    liquid in place of some of the 6 cups of water. Add more water to
    cover the meat and toss in a new batch of rice wine, soy sauce and
    spices.

    Note: Yellow rock sugar and dried tangerine peel are available at
    Asian grocery stores, usually in the spice aisle. The sugar is
    crystallized and often labeled "rock candy," and the peel is labeled
    "citrus peel." Or you may substitute 2 tablespoons granulated or light
    brown sugar for the rock sugar and dry your own tangerine peel. (To do
    so, carefully remove the peel from a tangerine, either in a spiral or
    in segments, keeping it in one piece if possible. Hang the peel on a
    clothesline or a hook for a few days until completely dry, ashy brown
    and stiff. Break off what you need and store the rest in a jar or
    plastic bag.) Do not use fresh peel for this recipe. Various Asian red
    chile sauces are available in the Asian food sections of supermarkets.

    Best regards,
    Natalia,

    north-west of Russia,
    Pskov city.

    Download ebooks, all in ENGLISH and Free!
    Recipes Russian cuisine with photos.
    http://recipe.atspace.com/

    Tags:

  2. pskov_recipe wrote:

    > I am new here, My name is Natalia.
    >
    > This weekend I am going to make Chinese Beef Brisket,
    > thank you for the recipe. I love to cook.
    > I have a camera and love to take photos.
    > http://recipe.atspace.com/second.htm
    >
    > Chinese Beef Brisket
    >

    > 1/2 cup rice wine

    If by 'rice wine' you mean the Chinese Shao Xing rice wine might i
    suggest you try substituting Japanese Saki. I tend to think the saki is
    a better cooking ingredient than the chinese rice wine. Of course if
    you like the rice wine disregard the above. Also after your first
    blanching of the brisket, try a quick surface browning of the brisket in
    sesame oil, then without draining the oil proceed as you indicate in
    your recipe.

    The combination in equal parts of sesame oil, sake and soy sauce is IMO
    superb. I use it in equal parts as a marinade, dipping sauce and
    dressing for pasta, meat, fish, veggies & etc.
    ---
    JL

> [...]
    > crystallized and often labeled "rock candy," and the peel is labeled
    > "citrus peel." Or you may substitute 2 tablespoons granulated or light
    > brown sugar for the rock sugar and dry your own tangerine peel. (To do
    > so, carefully remove the peel from a tangerine, either in a spiral or
    > in segments, keeping it in one piece if possible. Hang the peel on a
    > clothesline or a hook for a few days until completely dry, ashy brown
    > and stiff. Break off what you need and store the rest in a jar or
    > plastic bag.) Do not use fresh peel for this recipe. Various Asian red
    > chile sauces are available in the Asian food sections of supermarkets.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Natalia,
    >
    > north-west of Russia,
    > Pskov city.
    >

    > Download ebooks, all in ENGLISH and Free!

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "pskov_recipe" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am new here, My name is Natalia.

    Hi and welcome! <waves>

    > This weekend I am going to make Chinese Beef Brisket,
    > thank you for the recipe. I love to cook.
    > I have a camera and love to take photos.

    Join alt.binaries.food

    > http://recipe.atspace.com/second.htm
    >
    > Chinese Beef Brisket

    <snipped yummy recipe>

    Keep it up! <lol>
    Glad to see someone else that cooks with cinnamon!

    Cheers!

    --
    Om.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The combination in equal parts of sesame oil, sake and soy sauce is IMO
    > superb. I use it in equal parts as a marinade, dipping sauce and
    > dressing for pasta, meat, fish, veggies & etc.

    Now I know what to do with the sake dad bought me for my birthday,
    thanks!

    I detest sake as a drink. Tastes like cereal water or something. ;-p
    --
    Om.

  5. George

    George Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>The combination in equal parts of sesame oil, sake and soy sauce is IMO
    >>superb. I use it in equal parts as a marinade, dipping sauce and
    >>dressing for pasta, meat, fish, veggies & etc.

    > Now I know what to do with the sake dad bought me for my birthday,
    > thanks!
    >
    > I detest sake as a drink. Tastes like cereal water or something. ;-p

    It either has to be hot or cold. If you drink it cold it has to be good
    quality.

  6. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The combination in equal parts of sesame oil, sake and soy sauce is IMO
    >> superb. I use it in equal parts as a marinade, dipping sauce and
    >> dressing for pasta, meat, fish, veggies & etc.

    > Now I know what to do with the sake dad bought me for my birthday,
    > thanks!
    >
    > I detest sake as a drink. Tastes like cereal water or something. ;-p
    > --
    > Om.

    I find that buying a bottle of sake as an ingredient for a dish is a
    expensive crying-shame. The sake is absolutely awful after opening and
    using and keeping a couple of days. Hot sake as they serve in Japan is OK
    to drink, but what a headache I have from it next day from just a few
    teeny-tiny drinks. Mirin is a problem at our house as DH says it's just
    sweetened sake. I never know what to do with recipes that use sake --
    except I usually leave it out.
    Dee Dee

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    George <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>The combination in equal parts of sesame oil, sake and soy sauce is IMO
    > >>superb. I use it in equal parts as a marinade, dipping sauce and
    > >>dressing for pasta, meat, fish, veggies & etc.

    > > Now I know what to do with the sake dad bought me for my birthday,
    > > thanks!
    > >
    > > I detest sake as a drink. Tastes like cereal water or something. ;-p

    > It either has to be hot or cold. If you drink it cold it has to be good
    > quality.

    Tried it both ways.
    Still tastes like cream of wheat. Ick!
    Using it for a dip sounds like a good way to use up what I have......
    --
    Om.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> The combination in equal parts of sesame oil, sake and soy sauce is IMO
    > >> superb. I use it in equal parts as a marinade, dipping sauce and
    > >> dressing for pasta, meat, fish, veggies & etc.

    > > Now I know what to do with the sake dad bought me for my birthday,
    > > thanks!
    > >
    > > I detest sake as a drink. Tastes like cereal water or something. ;-p
    > > --
    > > Om.
    > >

    > I find that buying a bottle of sake as an ingredient for a dish is a
    > expensive crying-shame. The sake is absolutely awful after opening and
    > using and keeping a couple of days. Hot sake as they serve in Japan is OK
    > to drink, but what a headache I have from it next day from just a few
    > teeny-tiny drinks. Mirin is a problem at our house as DH says it's just
    > sweetened sake. I never know what to do with recipes that use sake --
    > except I usually leave it out.
    > Dee Dee

    I think I could probably use the water from rinsing rice....... ;-)
    --
    Om.

  9. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > Now I know what to do with the sake dad bought me for my birthday,
    >> > thanks!
    >> >
    >> > I detest sake as a drink. Tastes like cereal water or something. ;-p
    >> > --
    >> > Om.
    >> >

    >> I find that buying a bottle of sake as an ingredient for a dish is a
    >> expensive crying-shame. The sake is absolutely awful after opening and
    >> using and keeping a couple of days. Hot sake as they serve in Japan is
    >> OK
    >> to drink, but what a headache I have from it next day from just a few
    >> teeny-tiny drinks. Mirin is a problem at our house as DH says it's just
    >> sweetened sake. I never know what to do with recipes that use sake --
    >> except I usually leave it out.
    >> Dee Dee
    >>

    > I think I could probably use the water from rinsing rice....... ;-)
    > --
    > Om.

    Om, I'm not sure whether you're serious or not - but just adding this little
    adventure of mine.
    I read once that the Koreans used their rinsing water from rice to boil
    their Korean turnips in. Since I'm quite fond of these turnips I tried it,
    until it dawned on me that the rinsing water contained a LOT of talc, unless
    you buy the gormet style or "without talc."

    So, "What's the matter with eating talc?"
    which reminds me of my m-i-l's answer to this kind of statement; i.e., I
    don't eat talc: "What does it do to you, Dee?" -- Tee Hee.
    Too bad I couldn't say: "Google is your friend."

    DH and I get a lot of laughs over this "Google is your friend" because we
    are always 'wondering' and then one of us will say "GIYF" and off we go
    rolling on the floor with laughter.
    Dee Dee

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> I find that buying a bottle of sake as an ingredient for a dish is a
    > >> expensive crying-shame. The sake is absolutely awful after opening and
    > >> using and keeping a couple of days. Hot sake as they serve in Japan is
    > >> OK
    > >> to drink, but what a headache I have from it next day from just a few
    > >> teeny-tiny drinks. Mirin is a problem at our house as DH says it's just
    > >> sweetened sake. I never know what to do with recipes that use sake --
    > >> except I usually leave it out.
    > >> Dee Dee
    > >>

    > > I think I could probably use the water from rinsing rice....... ;-)
    > > --
    > > Om.

    > Om, I'm not sure whether you're serious or not - but just adding this little
    > adventure of mine.

    Dead serious. To me, Sake tastes like watered down cereal.
    I guess it's just not for me!

    > I read once that the Koreans used their rinsing water from rice to boil
    > their Korean turnips in. Since I'm quite fond of these turnips I tried it,
    > until it dawned on me that the rinsing water contained a LOT of talc, unless
    > you buy the gormet style or "without talc."

    Heh! I do rinse rice to get rid of the talc.
    Can't see tho' how ingesting it could be harmful?

    > So, "What's the matter with eating talc?"
    > which reminds me of my m-i-l's answer to this kind of statement; i.e., I
    > don't eat talc: "What does it do to you, Dee?" -- Tee Hee.
    > Too bad I couldn't say: "Google is your friend."
    >
    > DH and I get a lot of laughs over this "Google is your friend" because we
    > are always 'wondering' and then one of us will say "GIYF" and off we go
    > rolling on the floor with laughter.
    > Dee Dee

    I understand! ;-)

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ingesting+talc

    Fascinating topic when googled! <lol>
    I can't see how ingesting small amounts could be harmful.
    No worse than using Bentonite......

    --
    Om.

  11. aem

    aem Guest

    pskov_recipe wrote:
    > I am new here, My name is Natalia.
    >
    > This weekend I am going to make Chinese Beef Brisket,
    > thank you for the recipe. I love to cook.
    > I have a camera and love to take photos.
    > http://recipe.atspace.com/second.htm

    This is the recipe that was published in the L.A. Times (and maybe
    Chicago Tribune) in thise week's food section. Also referred to in an
    earlier rfc post. Is "Natalia" pretending otherwise? -aem

  12. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > I think I could probably use the water from rinsing rice....... ;-)
    >> > --
    >> > Om.

    >> Om, I'm not sure whether you're serious or not - but just adding this
    >> little
    >> adventure of mine.

    > Dead serious. To me, Sake tastes like watered down cereal.
    > I guess it's just not for me!
    >
    >> I read once that the Koreans used their rinsing water from rice to boil
    >> their Korean turnips in. Since I'm quite fond of these turnips I tried
    >> it,
    >> until it dawned on me that the rinsing water contained a LOT of talc,
    >> unless
    >> you buy the gormet style or "without talc."

    > Heh! I do rinse rice to get rid of the talc.
    > Can't see tho' how ingesting it could be harmful?
    >

    >> So, "What's the matter with eating talc?"
    >> which reminds me of my m-i-l's answer to this kind of statement; i.e., I
    >> don't eat talc: "What does it do to you, Dee?" -- Tee Hee.
    >> Too bad I couldn't say: "Google is your friend."
    >>
    >> DH and I get a lot of laughs over this "Google is your friend" because we
    >> are always 'wondering' and then one of us will say "GIYF" and off we go
    >> rolling on the floor with laughter.
    >> Dee Dee

    > I understand! ;-)
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ingesting+talc
    >
    > Fascinating topic when googled! <lol>
    > I can't see how ingesting small amounts could be harmful.
    > No worse than using Bentonite......
    >
    >> Om.

    I need go no further. The first hit is
    "Avoid ingesting too much. One side effect from over-dosing on talc is a
    compacted
    colon requiring hospitalization and painful excavation with a spoon to..."

    However, it depends on how one looks at it. Talc and ovarian cancer is a
    subject (ingestion, or inhaling cosmetics) that I'm not well versed in, but
    since talc can be avoided, I choose to do so. I've not worn costmetics for
    years (not to avoid talc, tho) and talc is not something I care to ingest.
    I see that many pills have/had talc added and I don't know if it is a common
    occurrence anymore or not, but I've not seen connotated on the containers.
    Even though additives are controversial, talc is one of those that is easily
    avoidable -- hopefully!
    BTW, turnips cooked in rinse water from talc'd rice tastes no different-ly.

    Dee Dee

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> Om, I'm not sure whether you're serious or not - but just adding this
    > >> little
    > >> adventure of mine.

    > > Dead serious. To me, Sake tastes like watered down cereal.
    > > I guess it's just not for me!
    > >
    > >> I read once that the Koreans used their rinsing water from rice to boil
    > >> their Korean turnips in. Since I'm quite fond of these turnips I tried
    > >> it,
    > >> until it dawned on me that the rinsing water contained a LOT of talc,
    > >> unless
    > >> you buy the gormet style or "without talc."

    > > Heh! I do rinse rice to get rid of the talc.
    > > Can't see tho' how ingesting it could be harmful?
    > >

    > >> So, "What's the matter with eating talc?"
    > >> which reminds me of my m-i-l's answer to this kind of statement; i.e., I
    > >> don't eat talc: "What does it do to you, Dee?" -- Tee Hee.
    > >> Too bad I couldn't say: "Google is your friend."
    > >>
    > >> DH and I get a lot of laughs over this "Google is your friend" because we
    > >> are always 'wondering' and then one of us will say "GIYF" and off we go
    > >> rolling on the floor with laughter.
    > >> Dee Dee

    > > I understand! ;-)
    > >
    > > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ingesting+talc
    > >
    > > Fascinating topic when googled! <lol>
    > > I can't see how ingesting small amounts could be harmful.
    > > No worse than using Bentonite......
    > >
    > >> Om.

    > I need go no further. The first hit is
    > "Avoid ingesting too much. One side effect from over-dosing on talc is a
    > compacted
    > colon requiring hospitalization and painful excavation with a spoon to..."
    >
    > However, it depends on how one looks at it. Talc and ovarian cancer is a
    > subject (ingestion, or inhaling cosmetics) that I'm not well versed in, but
    > since talc can be avoided, I choose to do so. I've not worn costmetics for
    > years (not to avoid talc, tho) and talc is not something I care to ingest.
    > I see that many pills have/had talc added and I don't know if it is a common
    > occurrence anymore or not, but I've not seen connotated on the containers.
    > Even though additives are controversial, talc is one of those that is easily
    > avoidable -- hopefully!
    > BTW, turnips cooked in rinse water from talc'd rice tastes no different-ly.
    >
    > Dee Dee

    I don't actually use rice water for cooking....... ;-)
    I'd rather not eat talc either.

    My point was that, to me anyway, saki tastes like cereal water.
    Soak some oatmeal or cream of wheat maybe, and drain off the liquid for
    the same flavor.

    Sarcasm aside, I really just do not care for saki! <G>
    --
    Om.

  14. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > I understand! ;-)
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ingesting+talc
    >
    > Fascinating topic when googled! <lol>
    > I can't see how ingesting small amounts could be harmful.
    > No worse than using Bentonite......

    <nudge nudge> Don't forget to trim up those posts you respond to, ok?

  15. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > However, it depends on how one looks at it. Talc and ovarian cancer is a
    > subject (ingestion, or inhaling cosmetics) that I'm not well versed in, but
    > since talc can be avoided, I choose to do so. I've not worn costmetics for
    > years (not to avoid talc, tho) and talc is not something I care to ingest.
    > I see that many pills have/had talc added and I don't know if it is a common
    > occurrence anymore or not, but I've not seen connotated on the containers.
    > Even though additives are controversial, talc is one of those that is easily
    > avoidable -- hopefully!

    My understanding is not injesting talc (in fact we sometimes inject it
    in pleural spaces to cause deliberate scar tissue formation) but rather
    a concern about women who powder their bottoms and cootchies to excess.
    There is some speculation about increased cancer from that.
    Goomba

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >

    > > I understand! ;-)
    > >
    > > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ingesting+talc
    > >
    > > Fascinating topic when googled! <lol>
    > > I can't see how ingesting small amounts could be harmful.
    > > No worse than using Bentonite......

    > <nudge nudge> Don't forget to trim up those posts you respond to, ok?

    Yes mom. <lol>

    Note I've been a little better lately, but not always....
    Depends on how awake I am. I actually need to go to sleep shortly here
    as I have to work tonight!

    hugs!
    --
    Om.

  17. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:
    <snip>

    > their bottoms and cootchies to excess.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Ok, I have now seen everything in rfc including the word "cootchie".

    -L.

  18. Goomba38 <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >
    >> However, it depends on how one looks at it. Talc and ovarian cancer
    >> is a subject (ingestion, or inhaling cosmetics) that I'm not well
    >> versed in, but since talc can be avoided, I choose to do so. I've not
    >> worn costmetics for years (not to avoid talc, tho) and talc is not
    >> something I care to ingest. I see that many pills have/had talc added
    >> and I don't know if it is a common occurrence anymore or not, but
    >> I've not seen connotated on the containers. Even though additives are
    >> controversial, talc is one of those that is easily avoidable --
    >> hopefully!

    > My understanding is not injesting talc (in fact we sometimes inject it
    > in pleural spaces to cause deliberate scar tissue formation) but
    > rather a concern about women who powder their bottoms and cootchies to
    > excess. There is some speculation about increased cancer from that.
    > Goomba

    <post left intact for brevity>

    I don't know nothin' 'bout ovarian cancer. Nothin'. I hope whoever has it
    gets thru it.

    Michael <- popping in on a thread he would best stay out of

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  19. Dee Randall wrote:
    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,
    >>Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>The combination in equal parts of sesame oil, sake and soy sauce is IMO
    >>>superb. I use it in equal parts as a marinade, dipping sauce and
    >>>dressing for pasta, meat, fish, veggies & etc.

    >>Now I know what to do with the sake dad bought me for my birthday,
    >>thanks!
    >>
    >>I detest sake as a drink. Tastes like cereal water or something. ;-p
    >>--
    >>Om.
    >>

    > I find that buying a bottle of sake as an ingredient for a dish is a
    > expensive crying-shame. The sake is absolutely awful after opening and
    > using and keeping a couple of days.

    I don't like to drink sake, but when mixed with sesame oil and soy sauce
    in equal parts its marvellous for cooking.

    One can then go on to add onion, ginger, garlic, daikon & etc. with
    shrimp, beef, pork, chicken, veggies, rice & etc. it is wonderful, IMO.

    I have never had a problem with keeping it, though i often by a small
    half bottle and use it all for the mix with soy sauce and sesame oil and
    keep it in the fridge.

    The japanese buy it by the gallon or larger and keep it at room temp.
    for weeks and months without any deleterious effect, at least to the saki:)

    I have been told, and i don't know if it is true or not, but i have
    been told that it is possible to get cheap, bad saki in Japan but that
    the demand for it is so small (relatively) in the states and Europe that
    only the good stuff is imported.

    Hot sake as they serve in Japan is OK
    > to drink, but what a headache I have from it next day from just a few
    > teeny-tiny drinks.

    Sulphides? Some american wines effect me the same way, a tiny sip is
    enough to give me a head ache. Oddly this does not happen when i cook
    with the same wine, perhaps the cooking alters or eliminates the sulphates?

    Mirin is a problem at our house as DH says it's just
    > sweetened sake. I never know what to do with recipes that use sake --
    > except I usually leave it out.
    > Dee Dee

    That is what i understand, mirin is sugar added sake, i could be wrong
    but i think there is a difference between saki and sake and iirc one,
    saki, is considered a quality product and sake is the japanese
    equivalent of vin ordinaire or a less than quality product.
    ---
    JL

  20. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > I don't actually use rice water for cooking....... ;-)
    > I'd rather not eat talc either.
    >
    > My point was that, to me anyway, saki tastes like cereal water.
    > Soak some oatmeal or cream of wheat maybe, and drain off the liquid for
    > the same flavor.
    >
    > Sarcasm aside, I really just do not care for saki! <G>

    I feel much the same way about olive oil.
    ---
    JL