I am new here,

In article <[email protected]>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Goomba38 <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Dee Randall wrote:
> >
> >> However, it depends on how one looks at it. Talc and ovarian cancer
> >> is a subject (ingestion, or inhaling cosmetics) that I'm not well
> >> versed in, but since talc can be avoided, I choose to do so. I've not
> >> worn costmetics for years (not to avoid talc, tho) and talc is not
> >> something I care to ingest. I see that many pills have/had talc added
> >> and I don't know if it is a common occurrence anymore or not, but
> >> I've not seen connotated on the containers. Even though additives are
> >> controversial, talc is one of those that is easily avoidable --
> >> hopefully!

> > My understanding is not injesting talc (in fact we sometimes inject it
> > in pleural spaces to cause deliberate scar tissue formation) but
> > rather a concern about women who powder their bottoms and cootchies to
> > excess. There is some speculation about increased cancer from that.
> > Goomba

> <post left intact for brevity>
>
> I don't know nothin' 'bout ovarian cancer. Nothin'. I hope whoever has it
> gets thru it.
>
> Michael <- popping in on a thread he would best stay out of

Hey, many guys powder "the boys downstairs" too! (or so I've read.....
<lol>)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

<snipped>
> > Sarcasm aside, I really just do not care for saki! <G>

> I feel much the same way about olive oil.
> ---
> JL

Ack! Sacralige!!!!!! ;-D

What kind of oil do you use?
I've been using more Grapeseed oil lately.
It's more neutral in flavor and takes a lot more heat.

I also found that it polymerized faster for re-seasoning cast iron!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

>> I find that buying a bottle of sake as an ingredient for a dish is a
>> expensive crying-shame. The sake is absolutely awful after opening and
>> using and keeping a couple of days.

> I have never had a problem with keeping it, though i often by a small half
> bottle and use it all for the mix with soy sauce and sesame oil and keep
> it in the fridge.

I don't buy the small bottles of anything alcohol, based on experience that
the small bottles of wine with 'metal caps' is usually not wine that I care
to drink. (I don't cook with wine that I don't drink, is the caveat.)

> The japanese buy it by the gallon or larger and keep it at room temp. for
> weeks and months without any deleterious effect, at least to the saki:)

Hmm - I've not heard this. Very interesting. I suppose it is for cooking,
not drinking?

> I have been told, and i don't know if it is true or not, but i have been
> told that it is possible to get cheap, bad saki in Japan but that the
> demand for it is so small (relatively) in the states and Europe that only
> the good stuff is imported.

I'm not sure what 'good stuff' is, but I've seen it cheaply and expensively
priced (for my pocketbook).

> Hot sake as they serve in Japan is OK
>> to drink, but what a headache I have from it next day from just a few
>> teeny-tiny drinks.

> Sulphides? Some american wines effect me the same way, a tiny sip is
> enough to give me a head ache. Oddly this does not happen when i cook
> with the same wine, perhaps the cooking alters or eliminates the
> sulphates?

Yes, I'm allergic to sulphites in wine, and it can be either white or red,
and my reaction is bright red cheeks and dizziness. It also goes
hand-in-hand with not liking the particular wine that I have this reaction
to. I keep a wine list of wines purchased, and I never buy that wine again.

PS, I like a white wine I recently bought at Trader Joe's that is
inexpensive (I drink mainly red) Bastardo Bianco $5.49. I'm thinking perhaps
a white wine such as this might be a good substitute for the saki -- I'm not
sure of the difference in alcohol content - I'd have to look that up.

Thanks for your response,
Dee Dee

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>

> <snipped>
>
>>>Sarcasm aside, I really just do not care for saki! <G>

>>I feel much the same way about olive oil.
>>---
>>JL

> Ack! Sacralige!!!!!! ;-D

Yes, i know, very heretical of me, but there you go, i have never found
an olive oil i like the taste of. Though i have had foods where it is
an ingredient that were excellent, i not only don't like the taste but
do not know how to use it.

> What kind of oil do you use?

For general purposes i use canola oil and believe it imparts a peasant
flavour to foods.

> I've been using more Grapeseed oil lately.

I keep grape seed oil around for the sauteing of beef, IMO it makes an
incredible difference with beef. I like walnut oil for a vinaigrette
and will use avocado oil alone with a bit of lemon or lime juice to
dress a salad.
---
JL

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

> pskov_recipe wrote:
> > I am new here, My name is Natalia.
> >
> > This weekend I am going to make Chinese Beef Brisket,
> > thank you for the recipe. I love to cook.
> > I have a camera and love to take photos.
> > http://recipe.atspace.com/second.htm

> This is the recipe that was published in the L.A. Times (and maybe
> Chicago Tribune) in thise week's food section. Also referred to in an
> earlier rfc post. Is "Natalia" pretending otherwise? -aem

"Interesting" website that has links to all kinds of stuff including
software for "unlimited autoresponding", whatever that is . She
posted a recipe for lemon curd to r.f.preserving a few days ago.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet

>> I don't know nothin' 'bout ovarian cancer. Nothin'. I hope whoever has
>> it
>> gets thru it.
>>
>> Michael <- popping in on a thread he would best stay out of

> Hey, many guys powder "the boys downstairs" too! (or so I've read.....
> <lol>)
> --
> Om.

Oh, yuk, did you have to go and bring that UP. :)
Dee Dee

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>>> I don't know nothin' 'bout ovarian cancer. Nothin'. I hope whoever has
>>> it
>>> gets thru it.
>>>
>>> Michael <- popping in on a thread he would best stay out of

>> Hey, many guys powder "the boys downstairs" too! (or so I've read.....
>> <lol>)
>> --
>> Om.

> Oh, yuk, did you have to go and bring that UP. :)

I'm thinking, that poor person who is new here, have they run
screaming into the night yet? I can only wonder how this
thread got to this point.

nancy

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> "Interesting" website that has links to all kinds of stuff including
> software for "unlimited autoresponding", whatever that is . She
> posted a recipe for lemon curd to r.f.preserving a few days ago.

"unlimited autoresponding" sounds like a link I would be afraid to
click on. I don't want my machine doing things I don't know about....

But the website has pictures and recipes, including some Russian stuff
that might be interesting. I forgot to look for it, but there's
probably your favorite beet soup there. ;-) -aem

In article <[email protected]>,
"aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > "Interesting" website that has links to all kinds of stuff including
> > software for "unlimited autoresponding", whatever that is . She
> > posted a recipe for lemon curd to r.f.preserving a few days ago.

> "unlimited autoresponding" sounds like a link I would be afraid to
> click on. I don't want my machine doing things I don't know about....
>

> But the website has pictures and recipes, including some Russian stuff
> that might be interesting. I forgot to look for it, but there's
> probably your favorite beet soup there. ;-) -aem

I know; the whole thing is odd. Oh, well. I won't be going back.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet

In article <[email protected]>,
Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Joseph Littleshoes <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >>

> > <snipped>

> >>I feel much the same way about olive oil.
> >>---
> >>JL

> > Ack! Sacralige!!!!!! ;-D

> Yes, i know, very heretical of me, but there you go, i have never found
> an olive oil i like the taste of. Though i have had foods where it is
> an ingredient that were excellent, i not only don't like the taste but
> do not know how to use it.

I disliked the way it smelled and tasted also when I was a teenager but
for some reason, I really like it now.

> > What kind of oil do you use?

> For general purposes i use canola oil and believe it imparts a peasant
> flavour to foods.

It is mild.

> > I've been using more Grapeseed oil lately.

> I keep grape seed oil around for the sauteing of beef, IMO it makes an
> incredible difference with beef. I like walnut oil for a vinaigrette
> and will use avocado oil alone with a bit of lemon or lime juice to
> dress a salad.
> ---
> JL

I've not tried avocado oil but have heard good things about it.
--

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Hey, many guys powder "the boys downstairs" too! (or so I've read.....
> >> <lol>)
> >> --
> >> Om.

> > Oh, yuk, did you have to go and bring that UP. :)

> I'm thinking, that poor person who is new here, have they run
> screaming into the night yet? I can only wonder how this
> thread got to this point.
>
> nancy

Thread drift... Gotta love it! ;-D
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:28:58 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Interesting" website that has links to all kinds of stuff including
>software for "unlimited autoresponding", whatever that is .

Think "Spam Software".

-sw

OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Oh, yuk, did you have to go and bring that UP. :)

>> I'm thinking, that poor person who is new here, have they run
>> screaming into the night yet? I can only wonder how this
>> thread got to this point.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Thread drift... Gotta love it! ;-D

I love "Thread drift" and I'm serious ;)

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

>> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:

> <snipped>
>> > Thread drift... Gotta love it! ;-D

>> I love "Thread drift" and I'm serious ;)
>> Michael

> Mee too! ;-D
> Om.

Mee too, and I'm serious, too,
(Also contributing to this particular thread drift) I'm expecting at some
point there will be someone that will have a snit-fit that the original
poster actually meant such-and-such and why can't one read the intent of the
poster's query in the way it was formed, and why can't you understand it?
BTAIM, doesn't most dialog drift? Don't people usually interrupt and
interject their own reactions -- yes, just as I'm doing now.
Dee Dee

Dee Randall wrote:

> >> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
> >> news:[email protected]:

> > <snipped>
> >>
> >> I love "Thread drift" and I'm serious ;)
> >> Michael

> > Mee too! ;-D
> > Om.

> Mee too, and I'm serious, too,
> (Also contributing to this particular thread drift) I'm expecting at some
> point there will be someone that will have a snit-fit that the original
> poster actually meant such-and-such and why can't one read the intent of the
> poster's query in the way it was formed, and why can't you understand it?
> BTAIM, doesn't most dialog drift? Don't people usually interrupt and
> interject their own reactions -- yes, just as I'm doing now.
> Dee Dee

And why hasn't anyone interrupted with a religious rant. And a pointer to his
noodly appendage?
http://www.venganza.org/
Edrena

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1138738762.503901.299800
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> pskov_recipe wrote:
>> I am new here, My name is Natalia.
>>
>> This weekend I am going to make Chinese Beef Brisket,
>> thank you for the recipe. I love to cook.
>> I have a camera and love to take photos.
>> http://recipe.atspace.com/second.htm

> This is the recipe that was published in the L.A. Times (and maybe
> Chicago Tribune) in thise week's food section. Also referred to in an
> earlier rfc post. Is "Natalia" pretending otherwise? -aem

I don't think so. Note that she says "thank you for the recipe". I think
she's indicating that she is going to make a recipe she found here (Terry
posted the recipe in full).

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote

> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote

>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I'm thinking, that poor person who is new here, have they run
>>> screaming into the night yet? I can only wonder how this
>>> thread got to this point.

>> Thread drift... Gotta love it! ;-D

> I love "Thread drift" and I'm serious ;)

Hope you know I wasn't complaining, just confused and amused.

nancy

Dee Randall wrote:

>>>OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
>>>news:[email protected]:

>><snipped>

>>>I love "Thread drift" and I'm serious ;)
>>>Michael

>>Mee too! ;-D
>>Om.

> Mee too, and I'm serious, too,
> (Also contributing to this particular thread drift) I'm expecting at some
> point there will be someone that will have a snit-fit that the original
> poster actually meant such-and-such and why can't one read the intent of the
> poster's query in the way it was formed, and why can't you understand it?
> BTAIM, doesn't most dialog drift? Don't people usually interrupt and
> interject their own reactions -- yes, just as I'm doing now.
> Dee Dee

I had a thread drift on the hem of a skirt once. It wouldn't have been
so bad if it hadn't caught on the restaurant chair. I ended up making a
quick repair in the washroom. That is one good reason to always carry a
small sewing kit in your purse ;)