i am planning to get a bike on ebay

Nas_kaj

Aug 14, 2006
hello fellow cyclings, i am planning to get a bike on ebay. i've never done this before. do you guys have any hints, tips, warnings, etc? thanks in advance

Nas_kaj said:
hello fellow cyclings, i am planning to get a bike on ebay. i've never done this before. do you guys have any hints, tips, warnings, etc? thanks in advance
Know exactly what size bike you need including standover, top tube length, head tube length, etc.

Be familiar with the value of used bikes. Research completed auctions at the very least.

Be aware of the exact specs and condition of the bike you bid on. Read specs carefully and make sure you understand the value of original parts that were on that bike compared to any new parts put on it. For example, "new wheels" can be hundreds of dollars less valuable than the original.... or vice versa.

Make sure you understand potential shipping charges

Clarify any questions you have in the above area.

Dont get caught up in bidding. I recommend using a bid sniper, setting your price and just ignoring it until the auction is over.

Watch especially for "buy it now". A fair price in a buy it now can save you a LOT of time. You might not get a "steal" (see below), but a fair price without spending weeks looking for a better bargain can usually be worth it, especially this time of year when you just want to get the bike and ride.

Don't expect any extraordinary bargains. Yes, look for a fair price, but there are very, very few exceptional prices after the bidding is done. Yes it happens, but you can easily spend a lot of time and effort looking to save that money. If time is money to you, just look for a fair price and be happy.

Camilo said:
Know exactly what size bike you need including standover, top tube length, head tube length, etc.

Be familiar with the value of used bikes. Research completed auctions at the very least.

Be aware of the exact specs and condition of the bike you bid on. Read specs carefully and make sure you understand the value of original parts that were on that bike compared to any new parts put on it. For example, "new wheels" can be hundreds of dollars less valuable than the original.... or vice versa.

Make sure you understand potential shipping charges

Clarify any questions you have in the above area.

Dont get caught up in bidding. I recommend using a bid sniper, setting your price and just ignoring it until the auction is over.

Watch especially for "buy it now". A fair price in a buy it now can save you a LOT of time. You might not get a "steal" (see below), but a fair price without spending weeks looking for a better bargain can usually be worth it, especially this time of year when you just want to get the bike and ride.

Don't expect any extraordinary bargains. Yes, look for a fair price, but there are very, very few exceptional prices after the bidding is done. Yes it happens, but you can easily spend a lot of time and effort looking to save that money. If time is money to you, just look for a fair price and be happy.
alrighty, super duper helpful. thanks a lot. i'm looking around and there are lots of nice deals. i'll keepin mind everything you told me

Look at any attached photos very closely. If there is an area of the bike that you want to see but there is no photo of it, ask the seller to add it on his post.

I have never bought a bike on eBay that looked as good as the photos, so expect to have to do at least some touching up of the paint. Therefore, you might want to steer away from bikes that have real exotic colors or finishes unless you are skilled enough to repair blemishes in these finishes or you are ready to have the bike professionally refinished.

Also, expect to have to tune up this bike and/or replace parts. Unless the bike has sealed bearings, most eBay bikes need full lubrication, chain maintenance or replacement, wheel trueing, and new tires and tubes. You may also run into worn chainrings and worn cassettes, often with only one cog being worn out.

There are often two reasons that bikes end up on eBAY, either they never get used or they are worn out. The ones that are never used can be a great value. I purchased a three year old $1800 Raleigh Competition for $427, but had to replace the tires and all the cables. I also purchased a 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert that was in mint condition(the anodizing on the rims don't even show any wear from the brakes) for $300, but I had to disassemble and lube everything. I did get a old Lotus that was well worn and had to replace nearly everything that could wear out, including the entire drive train.

I got my spesh Allez off ebay, £200 quid cheaper than new price and in excellent condition only 8/12 old. I knew what bike I wanted and tried various sizes at local bike shops and test rode them too to make sure it was right for me. Once I was happy with that I watched lots of the bike I wanted in my size, set myself a Max bid and waited for the right one. Check the % feedback of the seller and as the others have mentioned, look at photos, ask for more photos if necessary and ask as many quetions as you need to before bidding.

then bid in the last 20 seconds with your max bid and keep your fingers crossed, worked for me and now I can't stop riding it.

good luck

Unless you just want one off ebay if you've got time and your back isn't against the wall get one off craigslist.com, you can get a better deal.

STXR814 said:
Unless you just want one off ebay if you've got time and your back isn't against the wall get one off craigslist.com, you can get a better deal.
You usually can come out ahead on Craig's List. Normally the bike will be close enough that you can look at it ahead of time and pick it up which eliminates the shipping charges. But like STXR814 said, it is probably going to take a lot longer for the bike that you want, in your size, to show up there than on eBay.

As far as craigslist, you don't have to get one just where you live. You can get one anywhere, look in places bikes are most common especially where cyclist train like in Colorado. There are tons of bikes all the time for sale in the Denver area the turnover is ridiculous there. Look in any city you think a bike would be. I live in the Memphis area and got mine from Salt Lake City and paid $50 for shipping for instance and the bike is immaculate. I talked to the guy on the phone, got extra pictures, found out why he was selling, how long he had it, got all kinds of information and swapped cycling stories and everything. Thats what you need to do when you buy one and would do again not just buy blindly. I had NO doubts what I was getting when I got my $1600 Tarmac from Craigslist.

Ask lots of questions so you know what your getting. This will also tell you how keen the seller is to sell the bike or not based on the reply time and how much infomation they give you.

Make sure you ask a lot of questions. Like others have said also make sure you know how much the shipping is, sometimes it can be over $100.

Make sure you get plenty of pictures, don't rush into it.

Make sure you know the exact frame size you need, the wrong size bike is not FUN to ride and that's the main reason you should be getting one. It should be FUN, comfortable and a joy to ride.

You can also look on here, there are people selling them, roadbikereview.com also has some.

Good Luck!