I am so sick of the Atkins "fad"

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Larry D, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Larry D

    Larry D Guest

    Don't people realize how unhealthy it is? I think
    chloresterol buildup if nothing else. I realize that many
    people have lost weight, but you can lose weight by doing
    alot of crazy things. A balanced diet with exercise is truly
    the best way to live a long healthy life.

    Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
    Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    Tags:

  2. Ed Leftwich

    Ed Leftwich Guest

    Couldn't agree more. Most people are really ignorant when it
    comes to nutrition.

    Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
    Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  3. On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:41:29 -0600, Larry D wrote
    (in article <[email protected]>):

    > A balanced diet with exercise is truly the best way to
    > live a long healthy life.

    But that takes long term planning and commitment in a
    society where instant gratification is the game. I see
    in today's paper where obesity is overtaking smoking as
    the #1 cause of preventable conditions that lead to
    premature death.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

  4. Rob Greene

    Rob Greene Guest

    A balanced diet with exercise is truly the best way to live
    a long healthy
    > life.

    But that takes long term planning and commitment in a
    society where instant gratification is the game. I see
    in today's paper where obesity is overtaking smoking as
    the #1 cause of preventable conditions that lead to
    premature death.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    Yeah, I heard that on NPR this morning. It's really sad. I
    know as a kid my parents couldn't keep me inside. Oh well,
    the best I can do is make sure my son doesn't eat at
    McDonalds every day doesn't become a tv/video game junkie.

    Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
    Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  5. Crowfoot

    Crowfoot Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    > A balanced diet with exercise is truly the best way to
    > live a long healthy
    > > life.
    >
    > But that takes long term planning and commitment in a
    > society where instant gratification is the game. I see
    > in today's paper where obesity is overtaking smoking as
    > the #1 cause of preventable conditions that lead to
    > premature death.
    >
    > -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft
    >

    > Yeah, I heard that on NPR this morning. It's really sad. I
    > know as a kid my parents couldn't keep me inside.

    A good deal of this is about what appears to me to be an
    insane emphasis on protecting kids from possible harm or
    abduction, even if it means placing under effective house
    arrest. Kids used to run about pretty freely, chasing
    eachother and playing pretty athletic games. Now they are
    watched all the time, kept in, and pacified with TV or
    computer screens, all in the name of "safety". No wonder
    they're fat (not to mention stupid and ignorant), unless
    their parents are upper middle class and beyond, and can
    afford to run them back and forth to and from endless
    classes in this and that, instead of letting them get out in
    the world and move on their own. It all began with the drug
    paranoia in America and has gotten steadily worse for
    decades since.

    C.
    --
    Crow

  6. Larry D

    Larry D Guest

    On 15-Mar-2004, Crowfoot <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A good deal of this is about what appears to me to be an
    > insane emphasis on protecting kids from possible harm or
    > abduction, even if it means placing under effective house
    > arrest. Kids used to run about pretty freely, chasing
    > eachother and playing pretty athletic games. Now they are
    > watched all the time, kept in, and pacified with TV or
    > computer screens, all in the name of "safety". No wonder
    > they're fat (not to mention stupid and ignorant), unless
    > their parents are upper middle class and beyond, and can
    > afford to run them back and forth to and from endless
    > classes in this and that, instead of letting them get out
    > in the world and move on their own. It all began with the
    > drug paranoia in America and has gotten steadily worse for
    > decades since.

    I agree. It seems like everytime you turn on a tv, you
    hear/see stories of abduction. I think, in general, parents
    have gotten lazy, too. No one takes responsibility for their
    actions. "Let's sue McDonald's, because their food made me
    fat. It's not my fault I ate there 5 days a week." Give me a
    break. I feel the same way about cigarette smoking. Where is
    the common sense?

    Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
    Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  7. Ed Leftwich

    Ed Leftwich Guest

    On 15-Mar-2004, "Larry D" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Where is the common sense?

    Common sense? What's that?

    Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
    Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  8. Rob Greene

    Rob Greene Guest

    On 15-Mar-2004, "Ed Leftwich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Common sense? What's that?

    Indeed.

  9. On 10-Mar-2004, "Larry D" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Don't people realize how unhealthy it is? I think
    > chloresterol buildup if nothing else. I realize that many
    > people have lost weight, but you can lose weight by doing
    > alot of crazy things. A balanced diet with exercise is
    > truly the best way to live a long healthy life.

    Diet fads have and will continue to always be around in the
    U.S. That's what happens in a land of opportunity. It's a
    way to make a ton of money.

    Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup
    Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  10. Highcastle

    Highcastle Guest

    "Mark Fernandez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > On 10-Mar-2004, "Larry D" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Don't people realize how unhealthy it is? I think
    > > chloresterol buildup
    if
    > > nothing else. I realize that many people have lost
    > > weight, but you can lose weight by doing alot of crazy
    > > things. A balanced diet with exercise is truly the best
    > > way to live a long
    healthy
    > > life.
    >
    > Diet fads have and will continue to always be around in
    > the U.S. That's
    what
    > happens in a land of opportunity. It's a way to make a ton
    > of money.

    > Secure Usenet
    News==----
    > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    > World! >100,000
    Newsgroups
    > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total
    > Privacy via Encryption
    =---

    What does the word "fad" mean to you? I believe The Atkins
    diet has been around for 30 years or more, as far as I know.
    Which is hardly a fad, if you ask me my opinion. And The SB
    diet is just an off shoot of it. And, though I am no diet or
    health expert, I believe they are both considered to be
    prudent and balanced diets. If all you have to do is limit
    your carbs (and learn to do it right) and watch sugar
    intake, I say it's going to be around a long time. We've
    (wife and I) have each lost about 30 lbs in the past 10
    months. It's been easy too and we can't think of a better
    way to stay healthy.

  11. Slipperystar

    Slipperystar Guest

    "highcastle" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Mark Fernandez" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > On 10-Mar-2004, "Larry D" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Don't people realize how unhealthy it is? I think
    > > > chloresterol buildup
    > if
    > > > nothing else. I realize that many people have lost
    > > > weight, but you can lose weight by doing alot of crazy
    > > > things. A balanced diet with exercise is truly the
    > > > best way to live a long
    > healthy
    > > > life.
    > >
    > > Diet fads have and will continue to always be around in
    > > the U.S. That's
    > what
    > > happens in a land of opportunity. It's a way to make a
    > > ton of money.

    > > Secure Usenet
    > News==----
    > > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    > > World! >100,000
    > Newsgroups
    > > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total
    > > Privacy via Encryption
    > =---
    >
    > What does the word "fad" mean to you? I believe The Atkins
    > diet has been around for 30 years or more, as far as I
    > know. Which is hardly a fad, if you ask me my opinion. And
    > The SB diet is just an off shoot of it. And, though I am
    > no diet or health expert, I believe they are both
    > considered to be prudent and balanced diets. If all you
    > have to do is limit your carbs (and learn to do it right)
    > and watch sugar intake, I say it's going to be around a
    > long time. We've (wife and I) have each lost about 30 lbs
    > in the past 10 months. It's been easy too and we can't
    > think of a better way to stay healthy.

    Highcastle, I couldn't agree with you more. If most people
    asked me what I ate yesterday and I told them they would
    undoubtably think it was balanced and healthy. By cutting
    out empty processed carbs and replacing them with plenty
    (LOTS) of green veggies, good meats and eggs, olive oil, and
    some fruit (melons and berries primarily) all in reasonable
    quantities they would be unable to criticize.

    Atkins and LCing in general is misrepresented all the time,
    and most people are just to lazy to learn the truth of what
    it is all about. In this way I have investigated all kinds
    of eating plans/lifestyles, from food combining to low fat
    to eating for your blood type to macrobiotic and
    vegetarian/raw foodism etc etc etc...and I have concluded
    that different people have different needs when it comes to
    their diet.

    A friend of mine lives nearly totally on raw mangos,
    papayas, durian, and some olives. He looks great and is in
    very good shape. Put me on that diet and the sugar would
    put me into a horrible funk. But give me the right combo
    of protein and green veggie carb and I literally just zoom
    along. Add some avocado and a little bit of bay shrimp
    with some tabasco and I'm zooming even deeper heaven. OK,
    I'll stop now.

    Seriously, take a closer look at Low Carb. It may not be
    what you think it is.

    SS