I Am Spare-tire-Cous!

Carl Fogel

Guest
I Am Spare-tire-Cous!

There once was a bicyclist named Ryan Cousineau, Who sometimes posted under the name of
Fabrizio . . .

No . . .

There once was a bicycle-polo player named Zoot Katz, In whose identity-belfry roosted too many
bats . . .

Not quite right . . .

An alias-using Vancouverite not really named Tom Keats Once started a long thread upon proper
bicycle seats . . .

Not much better . . .

There once were some rec.bicycle.tech Benjamins Who hid behind confusing first-name pseudonyms . . .

Hmmm . . . If we were to use all of Ryan's secret identities, we'd need a bigger literary phone-
booth for him to change in than any five-line limerick provides.

This kind of sprawling epic may need cinemascope and a cast of dozens . . .

S P A R E - T I R E - C O U S

The great slave revolt led by Spare-tire-Cous had been quelled. Unfortunately, the victorious
general, Crassus Fogel, was as confused as ever.

"What was this all about?" the dim-witted general inquired hopefully of no one in particular. "Spare
tires? Cous-cous?"

"Helmets!" roared an unusually large, bare-headed, and bloodthirsty soldier, gnashing his teeth. "We
must execute all these captured slaves to teach them never to invade our domain again! They used
fake names in our helmet thread!"

"No, they didn't," said a long-suffering foreign mercenary named Meb. "That was a signature-
line bug."

"Er, it's not a domain, it's a newsgroup," quibbled a rain-caped figure, looking up from his role-
playing games. "I would never perpetrate such an elementary fallacy."

"Perhaps," dithered the general, trying to please everyone, "we could execute just one treacherous
slave? Is there one who is particularly fond of using fake names?"

"Spare-tire-Cous!" shouted the legions of rec.bicycles.tech.

"Groan!" muttered one of the more pun-sensitive slaves, who wore a Dave-T(ee)-shirt.

"They're guilty," opined a Wisconsin bicycle dealer, who changed his mind in the sequel.

"Helmets," added a helpful Colorado Campagnolo dealer, "won't help them if we chop off their heads."

"Are we for or against helmets?" inquired an oddly reasonable berserker from the far North. His
English was more fluent than many of the Romans, but it was hard to understand him because there was
some peanut butter sticking to the roof of his mouth.

"Romans wear helmets with eagles on them," said Crassus Fogel, speaking firmly for the first time,
but confusing plumes with eagles. The general had read about Latin haberdashery somewhere and always
believed everything that he read, but he often got his details hopelessly muddled.

"That's right!" shouted Captain Sheldonus. "Romans wear helmets with eagles on them!"

Everyone, including the slaves, turned to stare.

"What're ya all lookin' at?" demanded Sheldonus belligerently. "Huh?"

"Nothing," murmured Dianne_I-II-III-IV diplomatically, patting Sheldonus on his gleaming head and
furtively counting the CVIII links in his chain mail. "Nothing at all."

"I can't approve of crucifixion," announced Tom Shermanus, who was lying recumbent in decadent
luxury on a litter borne by four slaves. "It glorifies the upright position. And speaking of
position, does anyone know exactly where we are?"

"Oh, do get on with it, you lot!" begged a voice of thunder.

"Who was that?" asked Rick Onanianus, frightened silly by the unseen voice. (His terror made little
difference, seriousness not being the strong suit of the Onanianii--a trait that made their family
stalwart allies of the general.)

"I am Zog the Undeniable--" the deep voice began to explain.

"Enough!" interrupted Crassus Fogel, who had been counting on his fingers. "That's XVII syllables.
Let's crucify Spare-tire-Cous."

As usual, the assembled throng of rec.bicycle.tech both cheered and booed wildly.

"So," the general asked the re-captured slaves in a hearty voice, "which one of you is Spare-tire-
Cous?"

A long silence ensued, broken only by Genus Daniels muttering something at great length, ostensibly
about 504 cable/bike luber. It was unclear whether he was stuttering or suggesting clemency when he
said, "but-but spare spare-tire-cuz."

"Speak up now," Crassus Fogel encouraged the slaves. "Don't be afraid."

"I am Spare-tire-Cous!" lied one of the bolder slaves, whose t-shirt was emblazoned with the
letters PSU.

The general raised a skeptical eyebrow at this attempt to protect the doomed Spare-tire-Cous.

"I am Spare-tire-Cous!" lied another noble slave, mounted on a Canondale Lefty.

"No, you're not," said Crassus Fogel severely, provoked by the transparent impersonation. "You're
Simon Brookus. Get back to work on your suspension."

"I am Spare-tire-Cous!" declared yet another slave, trying to shield his leader's identity and
adding defiantly under his breath, "Or rarely-if-ever-Ryan."

Another slave claimed to be Spare-tire-Cous, then another, and another, and so on until the easily
befuddled general began to waver.

"Are you really all named Spare-tire-Cous?" asked Crassus Fogel dubiously. "I could have sworn that
most of you were named Dave."

"I am Spare-tire-Cous!" pretended the umpteenth slave, whose bicycling jersey flaunted a huge D.

"Mercy!" exclaimed the general, who was not known for the mot juste. "Wherever will we find enough
posts to crucify you all?"

"Wood," pointed out Jim Beamus, "is a strong, resilient material with excellent fatigue qualities
and marked anistropy."

"If only you rode a Moulton," sighed Crassus Fogel wistfully.

The baffled crowd instinctively drew back, fearing a dreadful pun involving melted metal and a
material witness from a luckily lost poem. (They wronged the noble general, but the truth will never
be known.)

Meanwhile, a wooden hatrack Rustled All-t(oo) quickly away to avoid being put to good U's as a
crucifixion post.

"Y-Whay ot-nay use-ay old-ay osts-pay om-fray ec-ray.icycles-bay.ech-tay?" quoth the scholarly
centurion John Daceyus in fluent pig-Latin.

"Damn it, speak English--er, Latin!" snapped the general.

"Why not," repeated Daceyus, "use old posts from rec.bicycles.tech? Google will easily provide us
with plenty of posts on which to crucify as many slaves as necessary."

"Rilliant-Bay!" chortled the general, who wished that he'd thought of the idea first and sought to
ease his envy with a cheap verbal flourish.

"No!" growled the Emperor Jobstus. "As has been mentioned, we should crucify them on ungreased seat
posts . . . DEAD!"

"I hope," fretted Markus Hickey, "that Jobstus doesn't post that awful incident where the poor rider
ended up having anal reconstructive surgery after his seat post broke. . . . errr, I guess he
doesn't have to now."

"He's Spare-tire-Cous!" shouted all the slave-Daves, terrified by the emperor's wrath. They eagerly
pointed out Fabrizio Mazzoleni, who was promptly crucified upon dozens of posts about goatheads.

With their Spare-tire-Cous punctured, the slave-Daves were forced to walk home and never again
rebelled. No effect was noticed on the wearing of helmets.

As the credits rolled, Claire Peterskyus gazed up mournfully while the air slowly hissed out of
Spare-tire-Cous.

"All gone!" wailed Claire. "Zoot, Tom, Fabrizio, Benjamin, Mike--well, maybe not Mike--and Ryan, all
gone! Now," she added bitterly, "I'm the only one left to pay the fan-club dues."

"By the way," said Phil Holmanus, "you're behind with your payments."

Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
: Unfortunately, the victorious general, Crassus Fogel, was as confused as ever.

yow .. before you start calling yourself that you may wish to recall what happened to crassus in
real life. at the hands of xena he was hauled back to rome and switched for vercinix and executed by
caesar (who realized who he really was but went ahead anyway).
--
david reuteler [email protected]

On 13 Feb 2004 10:17:10 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel)
wrote:
>Hmmm . . . If we were to use all of Ryan's secret identities, we'd need a bigger literary phone-
>booth for him to change in than any five-line limerick provides.

Really? I never really put it all together to realize this...

>"Oh, do get on with it, you lot!" begged a voice of thunder.
>
>"Who was that?" asked Rick Onanianus, frightened

Woohoo! I finally made it! Granted, I only made it in when you tried to be most-inclusive..

>"I am Zog the Undeniable--" the deep voice began to explain.

I deny that!

>A long silence ensued, broken only by Genus Daniels "but-but spare spare-tire-cuz."

It's three buts. Get it right or lose your throne!
--
Rick Onanian

Carl Fogel wrote:
> "Are we for or against helmets?" inquired an oddly reasonable berserker from the far North. His
> English was more fluent than many of the Romans, but it was hard to understand him because there
> was some peanut butter sticking to the roof of his mouth.

Speak up folks. This is your chance to fínally have a say on helmets. Us northeners have used them
for about 1500 years by now and they have only worked for some of the people that used them the last
85 years or so.

If you think it's hard to understand me with Skippys stuck to my vocal cords, you just wait 'till
you hear a dane. They sound like they have a mouthful of oatmeal/porridge when they talk.

--
Perre

Rick Onanian wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2004 10:17:10 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
>>Hmmm . . . If we were to use all of Ryan's secret identities, we'd need a bigger literary phone-
>>booth for him to change in than any five-line limerick provides.

> Really? I never really put it all together to realize this...

Most of us didn't care. And still don't.

Dave dvt at psu dot edu

"Per Elmsater" <[email protected]> wrote:
: They sound like they have a mouthful of oatmeal/porridge when they talk.

that's doubly true for a scot, 'cept that they usually do.

but you should know that .. you folk used to visit there often back in the day or was that just
merry old england? so nice of you to come. or as i used to say to my (english) grandmother, "yes,
i'm english .. which is another way of saying i'm mostly scandinavian." so maybe a bit of an
exagerration.

do you guys still wear helmets?
--
david reuteler [email protected]

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:38:36 -0500, "S. Anderson"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"No, -I- am Spare-tire-Cous!!!!!"
> ( Ireally am! I've never seen a Twinkie I don't like!!)

No. You, sir, like me, are a member of genus Aerobellius.
--
Rick Onanian

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> writes:

> If you think it's hard to understand me with Skippys stuck to my vocal cords, you just wait 'till
> you hear a dane. They sound like they have a mouthful of oatmeal/porridge when they talk.

Hee hee hee. That's my wife's side of the family and it's true. An odd sounding language to those
not accustomed. According to Garrison Keillor, "Ø" is Danish for "you can't say this."

David Reuteler wrote:
> "Per Elmsater" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> They sound like they have a mouthful of oatmeal/porridge when they talk.
>
> that's doubly true for a scot, 'cept that they usually do.
>
> but you should know that .. you folk used to visit there often back in the day or was that just
> merry old england? so nice of you to come. or as i used to say to my (english) grandmother, "yes,
> i'm english .. which is another way of saying i'm mostly scandinavian." so maybe a bit of an
> exagerration.

See what a helmet can do for you ;)

> do you guys still wear helmets?
Only the ones that are alive.

--
Perre

Carl Fogel wrote:

> I Am Spare-tire-Cous!...

Dear Carl,

I see that we still have a long way to go in your psychoanalysis.

Dr. Sigmund Fraud

David Reuteler wrote:

> do you guys still wear helmets?

These Scandinavians do...http://users.wolfcrews.com/toys/vikings/

Originally posted by Rick Onanian

>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:38:36 -0500, "S. Anderson"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "No, -I- am Spare-tire-Cous!!!!!"
>> ( Ireally am! I've never seen a Twinkie I don't like!!)

> No. You, sir, like me, are a member of genus Aerobellius.

Beats the heck out of aerocephalus.

JLS

In article <[email protected]>,
David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

> Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Unfortunately, the victorious general, Crassus Fogel, was as confused as ever.
>
> yow .. before you start calling yourself that you may wish to recall what happened to crassus in
> real life. at the hands of xena he was hauled back to rome and switched for vercinix and executed
> by caesar (who realized who he really was but went ahead anyway).

Um. Yeah. One of my regular riding buddies is a philosophy prof. He once had a student bring up
something on a Simpsons episode as an example from real life.

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

> I Am Spare-tire-Cous!
>
> There once was a bicyclist named Ryan Cousineau, Who sometimes posted under the name of
> Fabrizio . . .

> Hmmm . . . If we were to use all of Ryan's secret identities, we'd need a bigger literary phone-
> booth for him to change in than any five-line limerick provides.

> "I am Spare-tire-Cous!" declared yet another slave, trying to shield his leader's identity and
> adding defiantly under his breath, "Or rarely-if-ever-Ryan."

> "No!" growled the Emperor Jobstus. "As has been mentioned, we should crucify them on ungreased
> seat posts . . . DEAD!"

> "He's Spare-tire-Cous!" shouted all the slave-Daves, terrified by the emperor's wrath. They
> eagerly pointed out Fabrizio Mazzoleni, who was promptly crucified upon dozens of posts about
> goatheads.
>
> With their Spare-tire-Cous punctured, the slave-Daves were forced to walk home and never again
> rebelled. No effect was noticed on the wearing of helmets.
>
> As the credits rolled, Claire Peterskyus gazed up mournfully while the air slowly hissed out of
> Spare-tire-Cous.
>
> "All gone!" wailed Claire. "Zoot, Tom, Fabrizio, Benjamin, Mike--well, maybe not Mike--and Ryan,
> all gone! Now," she added bitterly, "I'm the only one left to pay the fan-club dues."
>
> "By the way," said Phil Holmanus, "you're behind with your payments."

My compliments to the chef! A most insouciant stew. If I didn't comment sooner, it was only because
I somehow missed this post in the regular chatter. Call it an intelligence failure, if you will.

Originally posted by Per ElmsäTer
Carl Fogel wrote:
> "Are we for or against helmets?" inquired an oddly reasonable berserker from the far North. His
> English was more fluent than many of the Romans, but it was hard to understand him because there
> was some peanut butter sticking to the roof of his mouth.

Speak up folks. This is your chance to fínally have a say on helmets. Us northeners have used them
for about 1500 years by now and they have only worked for some of the people that used them the last
85 years or so.

If you think it's hard to understand me with Skippys stuck to my vocal cords, you just wait 'till
you hear a dane. They sound like they have a mouthful of oatmeal/porridge when they talk.

--
Perre

As long as he uses a Powercrank, we won’t need a long thread to determine whether he needs to wear a helmet while using a Powercrank. After all, since each side moves independently, the decision on whether to wear a helmet on the right side and the left side can be made independently. :D

Of course right side decision might be effected by riders’ choice of headset and left side by chain lube preference. Maybe the Campy and Shimano folks can come to a consensus on this.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, David Reuteler
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > : Unfortunately, the victorious general, Crassus Fogel, was as confused as ever.
> >
> > yow .. before you start calling yourself that you may wish to recall what happened to crassus in
> > real life. at the hands of xena he was hauled back to rome and switched for vercinix and
> > executed by caesar (who realized who he really was but went ahead anyway).
>
> Um. Yeah. One of my regular riding buddies is a philosophy prof. He once had a student bring up
> something on a Simpsons episode as an example from real life.

Dear Ryan,

"Your point being?" --Homer Simpson

"Your point being?" --Marge Simpson

"Your point being?" --Grandma Bouvier

Carl Fogel

> Carl Fogel wrote:
>
> > I Am Spare-tire-Cous!...
>
> Dear Carl,
>
> I see that we still have a long way to go in your psychoanalysis.
>
> Dr. Sigmund Fraud

Dear Dr. Fraud,

I see that you recumbent cycle-analysts are still trying to persuade the rest of us to lie down on
your couches instead of sitting upright.

I decline to recline!

Defiantly,

Carl Fogel

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
: Um. Yeah. One of my regular riding buddies is a philosophy prof. He once had a student bring up
: something on a Simpsons episode as an example from real life.

never read the xena scrolls, ryan? there is a loeb edition. hint: it's one of the green ones (she
was greek).
--

jlscott3 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Originally posted by Rick Onanian
>
> >> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:38:36 -0500, "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote: "No,
> >> -I- am Spare-tire- Cous!!!!!" ( Ireally am! I've never seen a Twinkie I don't like!!)
>
> > No. You, sir, like me, are a member of genus Aerobellius.
>
> Beats the heck out of aerocephalus.
>
> JLS

Omygawd... that medical terminology course I'm taking is actually proving useful! Woohoo!

Jeff the Lithocephalic Hyperglychemic