I am very happy with new light

Gary

Guest
I have a very bright light which cost £35 GBP. Lasts for 300 hours apparently? :)

Here is the lnk: http://www.cateye.com/detail_mod02.php?products_id=93

To test I shone it into an open garage from roughly 100 feet - lit up the entire room very well. I
have also sat in our fiat and had my girlfriend shine at me from a similar distance - very bright,
similar to a single car headlight.

It also has a bluish tint which makes it seem brighter,

Gary.

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a very bright light which cost £35 GBP. Lasts for 300 hours apparently? :)
>
> Here is the lnk: http://www.cateye.com/detail_mod02.php?products_id=93
>
> To test I shone it into an open garage from roughly 100 feet - lit up the entire room very well. I
> have also sat in our fiat and had my girlfriend shine at me from a similar distance - very bright,
> similar to a single car headlight.
>
> It also has a bluish tint which makes it seem brighter,
>
> Gary.

Sorry, but this is very very sad :) Sitting in your car and getting your girlfriend to shine
it at you ;)

Must admit to doing similar things myself.

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a very bright light which cost £35 GBP. Lasts for 300 hours apparently? :)
>
> Here is the lnk: http://www.cateye.com/detail_mod02.php?products_id=93
>
> To test I shone it into an open garage from roughly 100 feet - lit up the entire room very well. I
> have also sat in our fiat and had my girlfriend shine at me from a similar distance - very bright,
> similar to a single car headlight.
>
> It also has a bluish tint which makes it seem brighter,
>
> Gary.

I'm glad that you have found a light you like, but you should be warned...

This is how it always starts. The thrill of "just looking", comparing models. The sense of power as
you choose one, and pay money to make it all yours. The energy that the new ones have - they are
just so bright, so new, everything does what it should do. Experimentation - staying up late just to
play with it, "walking the dog" just to have an excuse to play with it's buttons, getting other
people to join in, making favourable comparisons. Telling it that it's the best your've ever had.
Boasting to your mates.

Then it all goes slowly wrong. Maybe you start to take it for granted, and it slips off its bracket.
You don't do anything to keep the first feelings alive, it's as if the batteries are going flat. You
start looking at others, with bigger headlights, brighter ones, smaller, neater, perkier ones. Or
perhaps you have tasted forbidden fruit and you want more that it can give. You start looking at the
lumicycle website late at night, pay for a Stadium in cash so no one will find the credit card
slips. You buy a spacebar and, as you fasten your old light to it, you tell it that it really will
enjoy this, you convince yourself that it's all for their benefit, but of course you know it's just
for your unsatisfied gratification.

Finally it's cast off, left on the second bike, you stop removing it when you lock up - secretly
hoping it will get stolen. The final ignominity of being used as a light sabre by four year olds
awaits. You never notice, you are too busy being dazzled by the sexy 20Watt twins who have just
allowed you to tie them to your bars.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Regards SteveP

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a very bright light which cost £35 GBP. Lasts for 300 hours apparently? :)
>
> Here is the lnk: http://www.cateye.com/detail_mod02.php?products_id=93
>
> To test I shone it into an open garage from roughly 100 feet - lit up the entire room very well. I
> have also sat in our fiat and had my girlfriend shine at me from a similar distance - very bright,
> similar to a single car headlight.
>
> It also has a bluish tint which makes it seem brighter,

That lamp has a list price of 16 quid. You could have got one of these with 5 leds in it for 33
quid. Are you sure you haven't been ripped off?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300004473

Simon

"stephen pridgeon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have a very bright light which cost £35 GBP. Lasts for 300 hours apparently? :)
> >
> > Here is the lnk: http://www.cateye.com/detail_mod02.php?products_id=93
> >
> > To test I shone it into an open garage from roughly 100 feet - lit up
the
> > entire room very well. I have also sat in our fiat and had my
girlfriend
> > shine at me from a similar distance - very bright, similar to a single
car
> > headlight.
> >
> > It also has a bluish tint which makes it seem brighter,
> >
> > Gary.
>
> I'm glad that you have found a light you like, but you should be warned...
>
> This is how it always starts. The thrill of "just looking", comparing models. The sense of power
> as you choose one, and pay money to make it all yours. The energy that the new ones have - they
> are just so bright, so new, everything does what it should do. Experimentation - staying up late
> just to play with it, "walking the dog" just to have an excuse to play with it's buttons, getting
> other people to join in, making favourable comparisons. Telling it that it's the best your've ever
> had. Boasting to your mates.
>
> Then it all goes slowly wrong. Maybe you start to take it for granted, and it slips off its
> bracket. You don't do anything to keep the first feelings alive, it's as if the batteries are
> going flat. You start looking at others, with bigger headlights, brighter ones, smaller, neater,
> perkier ones. Or perhaps you have tasted forbidden fruit and you want more that it can give. You
> start looking at the lumicycle website late at night, pay for a Stadium in cash so no one will
> find the credit card slips. You buy a spacebar and, as you fasten your old light to it, you tell
> it that it really will enjoy this, you convince yourself that it's all for their benefit, but of
> course you know it's just for your unsatisfied gratification.
>
> Finally it's cast off, left on the second bike, you stop removing it when you lock up - secretly
> hoping it will get stolen. The final ignominity of being used as a light sabre by four year olds
> awaits. You never notice, you are too busy being dazzled by the sexy 20Watt twins who have just
> allowed you to tie them to your bars.
>
> You should be ashamed of yourself.
>
> Regards SteveP

Exactly. I dived straight in and got lumicycles, just discovered my neighbour had a set already ...
I think the Halide is overkill at £299.99, but my birthday is only a few months away - maybe i'll
have changed my mind by then, doubt it though ;)

I'm also wondering if my lamps have 'burnt' in too much? I'm sure they were brighter when the lamps
were new ...

I must admit to going for cycles late at night with no real reason. Is admitting the problem to
yourself the first stage of recovery?

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have a very bright light which cost £35 GBP. Lasts for 300 hours apparently? :)
> >
> > Here is the lnk: http://www.cateye.com/detail_mod02.php?products_id=93
> >
> > To test I shone it into an open garage from roughly 100 feet - lit up
the
> > entire room very well. I have also sat in our fiat and had my
girlfriend
> > shine at me from a similar distance - very bright, similar to a single
car
> > headlight.
> >
> > It also has a bluish tint which makes it seem brighter,
> >
> > Gary.
> >

> Sorry, but this is very very sad :) Sitting in your car and getting your girlfriend to shine it
> at you ;)
>
> Must admit to doing similar things myself.

I'll never forget the first rear blinkie I bought many years ago. The first thing I done was clip it
on my dog's collar and let her out in the garden at about midnight. I had great fun watching the
light prance around the garden!

Maybe I'll grow up one day!

--
Mark
______________________________________

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

> I'll never forget the first rear blinkie I bought many years ago. The first thing I done was clip
> it on my dog's collar and let her out in the garden at about midnight. I had great fun watching
> the light prance around the garden!

This is far from childish, but actually a *sensible* practice to prevent collisions between dogs and
other traffic (including cyclists), especially when the dogs themselves have dark coloured fur. At
least one dog walker on my route has flashing LEDs attached to the dogs' collars.

Alex

"Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:9c%[email protected]...
> > I'll never forget the first rear blinkie I bought many years ago. The first thing I done was
> > clip it on my dog's collar and let her out in the garden at about midnight. I had great fun
> > watching the light prance around the garden!
> >
> This is far from childish, but actually a *sensible* practice to prevent collisions between dogs
> and other traffic (including cyclists), especially when the dogs themselves have dark coloured
> fur. At least one dog walker
on
> my route has flashing LEDs attached to the dogs' collars.
>
> Alex

And it looks wicked ;)