UK and Europe · Public discussion

I bailed out - a comedy of errors

Started by vernon · · Last activity · 4 posts · 342 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 September 2005
Last activity
11 September 2005
Original author
vernon
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
342
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I don't think I was destined to complete the ride. I arrived late having
    taken a wrong turning and driving through York instead of around it.
    Everyone had gone and there was no-one left to hand me a brevet card.
    I did however set up my bike and was just about to set off when I
    dicovered that I'd left my Camelback at home. As I noramlly keep my
    pump and puncture repait kit in it I decided to not start and put the bike
    away. 200 mafter setting off for home, I remembered that I'd repacked
    the pump and puncture kit into a pannier bag that was in the car - back
    to the car pack and departure two. I set off in the hope that I could catch
    up with the tail enders - I've done it twice before but never with a 25
    minute deficit.

    I really enjoyed the brisk ride to Kilburn through some really lovely
    villages
    that I's not seen sionce I was a schoolboy on a trip to Mousey Thompson's
    workshop in Kilburn. I'd been suffereing from a cold and was perspiring
    more thatn usual. The first real challenge of the ride was White Horse Bank.
    I resolved to pedal up the entire bank come what may. I did it albeit with
    two pauses to get my breath back and to allow my pulse to drop to very fast
    from 'oh my God!'. I'd forgotten how big the White Horse was when I saw
    it again at close proximity for the first time in thirty years. I rode on
    past the
    Yorkshire Gliding Club and on reaching the A170 I made the decision to
    bail out as I felt a bit off colour.

    I rode towards Helmsley and then took the turning for York just before
    Helmsley itself and headed back to Wiggington. I didn't feel too
    disappointed. I'm sure that I'd have felt worse with my cold than I do this
    morning. I feel quite happy about taking on and completing the longest
    fiercest climb that I've encountered so far. My wife was happy that I got to
    spend more time with her on her birthday. I got 45 miles under my belt - a
    respectable distance.

    I am going back out there at some stage to explore the loop that I cut out
    of
    the ride - my confidence with climbs has move upwards, pardon the pun. I
    also would love to do White Horse Bank in one continuous go.

  2. vernon said:

    I don't think I was destined to complete the ride. I arrived late having
    taken a wrong turning and driving through York instead of around it.
    Everyone had gone and there was no-one left to hand me a brevet card.
    I did however set up my bike and was just about to set off when I
    dicovered that I'd left my Camelback at home. As I noramlly keep my
    pump and puncture repait kit in it I decided to not start and put the bike
    away. 200 mafter setting off for home, I remembered that I'd repacked
    the pump and puncture kit into a pannier bag that was in the car - back
    to the car pack and departure two. I set off in the hope that I could catch
    up with the tail enders - I've done it twice before but never with a 25
    minute deficit.

    I really enjoyed the brisk ride to Kilburn through some really lovely
    villages
    that I's not seen sionce I was a schoolboy on a trip to Mousey Thompson's
    workshop in Kilburn. I'd been suffereing from a cold and was perspiring
    more thatn usual. The first real challenge of the ride was White Horse Bank.
    I resolved to pedal up the entire bank come what may. I did it albeit with
    two pauses to get my breath back and to allow my pulse to drop to very fast
    from 'oh my God!'. I'd forgotten how big the White Horse was when I saw
    it again at close proximity for the first time in thirty years. I rode on
    past the
    Yorkshire Gliding Club and on reaching the A170 I made the decision to
    bail out as I felt a bit off colour.

    I rode towards Helmsley and then took the turning for York just before
    Helmsley itself and headed back to Wiggington. I didn't feel too
    disappointed. I'm sure that I'd have felt worse with my cold than I do this
    morning. I feel quite happy about taking on and completing the longest
    fiercest climb that I've encountered so far. My wife was happy that I got to
    spend more time with her on her birthday. I got 45 miles under my belt - a
    respectable distance.

    I am going back out there at some stage to explore the loop that I cut out
    of
    the ride - my confidence with climbs has move upwards, pardon the pun. I
    also would love to do White Horse Bank in one continuous go.

    It happens sometimes. I had planned a jaunt in the Pennines today, Leeds
    to Sheffield via Holme Moss and Snake Pass, back over Strines. I'm still
    at home couldn't be ar$ed with the weather. Need to go into the garage
    and clean my bikes, might go out on the fixed later. Mrs MSeries was
    glad of my company on a Sunday morning for a change !!!

  3. MSeries said:

    vernon wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    It happens sometimes.

    I was planning on going for a trundle on my new MTB (!) today, but
    likewise managed to avoid going out at all. Still, the garage has had a
    seeing to, esp. George Dawes which I think will be getting a new BB
    before my next event. Only done 6000 too, but it's very notchy so will
    have to go.

    Quite relaxing really, cleaning sprockets....

    bfn,

    Tony B

  4. Tony B said:
    MSeries said:

    vernon wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    It happens sometimes.

    I was planning on going for a trundle on my new MTB (!) today, but
    likewise managed to avoid going out at all. Still, the garage has had a
    seeing to, esp. George Dawes which I think will be getting a new BB
    before my next event. Only done 6000 too, but it's very notchy so will
    have to go.

    Just been out to the garage fettling lights onto the trailer and
    replacing my Sante rear mech for an Ultegra long cage. Now the bike is
    quite happy and can get every gear in the 12-28 cassette, so I
    shouldn't find it quite so dire on the long climbs. Might do the Law
    circuit a few times tonight if I feel bored (a 2(?)mile circuit with a
    100m height gain, 75m in one go with a peak of 1 in 8).

    ...d

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.