General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I Beat Donovan :) ???

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 109 posts · 3,432 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 June 2005
Last activity
27 June 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
109
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,432
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 109
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:2rMue.9416$Z.4498@trndny05...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Butt out, idiot. Refuelling is not what this debate is about. Go
    start your


    own thread on refuelling if you want to discuss that.

    I was responding to Lance's point, not yours. Besides I'm laughing too
    hard
    reading this thread to butt out.

    The refueling issue is interesting but the big [censored] contest over who is
    faster reminds me of the grammar school playground dialog " my daddy can
    beat up your daddy," and hilarious when big people stoop that low.

    Tony, How's the mountain laurel by you? We are at peak. We had a midweek
    race at Minewaska State Park and had 15k of near perfect laurel. Doing a
    different trail (North Lake area) this morning but again, loaded with
    laurel.

    -DF

  2. Doug Freese wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:


    "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:2rMue.9416$Z.4498@trndny05...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Butt out, idiot. Refuelling is not what this debate is about. Go
    >start your
    own thread on refuelling if you want to discuss that.

    I was responding to Lance's point, not yours. Besides I'm laughing too
    hard
    reading this thread to butt out.

    The refueling issue is interesting but the big [censored] contest over who is
    faster reminds me of the grammar school playground dialog " my daddy can
    beat up your daddy," and hilarious when big people stoop that low.

    agree.

    Quoted message said:

    Tony, How's the mountain laurel by you? We are at peak. We had a midweek
    race at Minewaska State Park and had 15k of near perfect laurel. Doing a
    different trail (North Lake area) this morning but again, loaded with
    laurel.

    Actually we don't have that much laurel right in my area, so I didn't notice
    it. It's a shame I don't get to the Gunks and Catskills more often, or even
    Harriman (though for training that's about 2x as rocky as most Catskill
    trails, so less than ideal). Weekend traffic shouldn't be an excuse...

    Hoping to hear back via SASE from your friend [censored] Vincent soon re
    escarpment. lol probably didn't get any points for priority-mailing in my
    application. Well it happens to be my goal race of the year so whatever...

    Going over to french creek state park in PA this weekend to run their double
    trouble 30k. Great park that I had good success in about 22 years ago while
    running the blue course in orienteering.

    -Tony

    Quoted message said:

    -DF

  3. Doug Freese wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:_5Mue.4766$Z97.344@trndny06...

    Quoted message said:

    The drinks/gels/powders make it quick and easy to refuel. case closed.

    If I ever get to the point drinks/gels/powders become my primary food
    source, I'll give up running. 😉 I run to eat and drinks/gels/powders
    isn't eating, it's bloody survival. They are necessary during a training
    session and races but I want real food after my run. Most of the races I
    return to each year have well stocked aid stations so I get to run long
    and eat real food - like pizza, ice cream, grilled cheese, dogs and
    burgers plus the usual PB&J and turkey or cheese sandwich.

    So true - for me the drinks/gels/powders go down first, then the real food
    follows. After long training or a race, I'm just as ravenous for real food.
    During most training I'm just finding the slight carb overdose after
    training satisfies me to the point that the ravenous hunger doesn't come,
    and I can and have lost weight that way (helpful when slogging up blackhead
    mountain 🙂 But up the intensity in a race, and I eat like I was 15 again.

    ps. You forgot to mention the beer!

    -T

    Quoted message said:

    -DougF

  4. Doug Freese said:


    "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:2rMue.9416$Z.4498@trndny05...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Butt out, idiot. Refuelling is not what this debate is about. Go
    >start your
    own thread on refuelling if you want to discuss that.

    I was responding to Lance's point, not yours. Besides I'm laughing too
    hard
    reading this thread to butt out.

    The refueling issue is interesting but the big [censored] contest over who is
    faster reminds me of the grammar school playground dialog "

    The so-called "big [censored]" contest you're discussing is basically a red
    herring Lance brought up in response to an argument about nutrtion. When he
    initially carped about winning in the first post of this thread, I didn't care.
    I actually congratulated him on "beating" me. Here's my intial response to
    the "I beat Donovan" thread: http://tinyurl.com/9r727

    I only took issue with it when he tried to argue that his "beating" me was a
    vindication of his silly theories on nutrition.

    What Tony's doing is trying to reframe the debate into something that molds
    Lance's unintelligible gibberish into something that makes some sense. Lance
    appears to be resisting these efforts to the best of his ability.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  5. it's amazing how someone so educated can be so stupid. Meb &
    Radcliffe...wear these knee high socks in races, marathons, etc...as
    these socks they believe had some blood circulatory benefit when racing
    or whatever. How do you feel about those socks Donnie? Why don't you
    wear them? If your view is different than Meb's and Paula's....are
    "you right" and they're wrong? Will you allow them to have contrary
    notions than yours?

    What about nasal strips Donovan? I can name you numerous elite
    athletes who wear them free of any endorsement contract. Now I may not
    buy into them....but I am not so stupid, arrogant, and pompous to
    dismiss their use for another person. You however are.

    If you don't believe in something, you're so ignorant and closed minded
    that you dismiss it if not "mock it". Example...sports psychology.
    You call it "mumbo jumbo" but Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods and
    thousands of professional athletes employ this in their training.

    Knee High socks, Nasal strips, a specific training techniques, there
    are a lot of things that may not fall in line with your views....but
    please. Don't be such an ignorant [censored] to belittle or dismiss that
    which works for someone.

    You're not some kind of a "god" that can discern and delineate what's
    really the result of another person's performance. Donovan...a myriad
    of factors can produce optimum performance in an athlete....factors in
    areas that you don't accept.

    Be intelligent and mature enough Donovan to allow for the possibility
    that things you don't accept for you are effective for another
    person...

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    it's amazing how someone so educated can be so stupid. Meb &
    Radcliffe...wear these knee high socks in races, marathons, etc...as
    these socks they believe had some blood circulatory benefit when racing
    or whatever. How do you feel about those socks Donnie? Why don't you
    wear them? If your view is different than Meb's and Paula's....are
    "you right" and they're wrong? Will you allow them to have contrary
    notions than yours?

    What about nasal strips Donovan? I can name you numerous elite
    athletes who wear them free of any endorsement contract. Now I may not
    buy into them....but I am not so stupid, arrogant, and pompous to
    dismiss their use for another person. You however are.

    If you don't believe in something, you're so ignorant and closed minded
    that you dismiss it if not "mock it". Example...sports psychology.
    You call it "mumbo jumbo" but Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods and
    thousands of professional athletes employ this in their training.

    Knee High socks, Nasal strips, a specific training techniques, there
    are a lot of things that may not fall in line with your views....but
    please. Don't be such an ignorant [censored] to belittle or dismiss that
    which works for someone.

    You're not some kind of a "god" that can discern and delineate what's
    really the result of another person's performance. Donovan...a myriad
    of factors can produce optimum performance in an athlete....factors in
    areas that you don't accept.

    Be intelligent and mature enough Donovan to allow for the possibility
    that things you don't accept for you are effective for another
    person...

    you guys actually run into each other in real life? isnt it awkward after
    threads like this?

  7. No. Hell I might run into Donnie training this week....and we'll say,
    "Hey". I respect the guy tremendously and have seen him dedicate
    himself to being a really strong and good runner. I admire how he's
    made himself to be a student of running and has read all the books,
    etc.

    Donnie respects me and knows my potential if i adopted a proper
    training regime. He's right...no one ever beats me that is close to my
    size (muscle mass, thick legs, etc)....and I have much more mass than
    other competitive runners.

    We're here on the NG just talking junk and I know I've gotta back it up
    next month in a race or something...whatever, no biggie. My talking
    [censored] about Donnie here is making him train harder....believe me...he
    does not want to place behind me again. He's training harder than
    ever, that I know. But so am I. So we're going to bring out the best
    in each other as athletes....and we'll go head to head in July no
    doubt.

    It's all cool...it's all good. In RL, I'm pretty easy going, Donnie
    knows that. Donnie's a nice guy in RL.. The last thing he wants is for
    me to top him again.....LOL....we never really talk about NG junk when
    we see each other....Donnie's made me a better runner...he knows my
    game....he's pretty much on target with most of his
    assessments...except this "fairly athletic" BS quip...

    I like him and all...but I'm still going to kick his ass in our next
    race...

  8. No. Hell I might run into Donnie training this week....and we'll say,
    "Hey". I respect the guy tremendously and have seen him dedicate
    himself to being a really strong and good runner. I admire how he's
    made himself to be a student of running and has read all the books,
    etc.

    Donnie respects me and knows my potential if i adopted a proper
    training regime. He's right...no one ever beats me that is close to my
    size (muscle mass, thick legs, etc)....and I have much more mass than
    other competitive runners.

    We're here on the NG just talking junk and I know I've gotta back it up
    next month in a race or something...whatever, no biggie. My talking
    [censored] about Donnie here is making him train harder....believe me...he
    does not want to place behind me again. He's training harder than
    ever, that I know. But so am I. So we're going to bring out the best
    in each other as athletes....and we'll go head to head in July no
    doubt.

    It's all cool...it's all good. In RL, I'm pretty easy going, Donnie
    knows that. Donnie's a nice guy in RL.. The last thing he wants is for
    me to top him again.....LOL....we never really talk about NG junk when
    we see each other....Donnie's made me a better runner...he knows my
    game....he's pretty much on target with most of his
    assessments...except this "fairly athletic" BS quip...

    I like him and all...but I'm still going to kick his ass in our next
    race...

  9. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    No. Hell I might run into Donnie training this week....and we'll say,
    "Hey". I respect the guy tremendously and have seen him dedicate
    himself to being a really strong and good runner. I admire how he's
    made himself to be a student of running and has read all the books,
    etc.

    Donnie respects me and knows my potential if i adopted a proper
    training regime. He's right...no one ever beats me that is close to my
    size (muscle mass, thick legs, etc)....and I have much more mass than
    other competitive runners.

    We're here on the NG just talking junk and I know I've gotta back it up
    next month in a race or something...whatever, no biggie. My talking
    [censored] about Donnie here is making him train harder....believe me...he
    does not want to place behind me again. He's training harder than
    ever, that I know. But so am I. So we're going to bring out the best
    in each other as athletes....and we'll go head to head in July no
    doubt.

    It's all cool...it's all good. In RL, I'm pretty easy going, Donnie
    knows that. Donnie's a nice guy in RL.. The last thing he wants is for
    me to top him again.....LOL....we never really talk about NG junk when
    we see each other....Donnie's made me a better runner...he knows my
    game....he's pretty much on target with most of his
    assessments...except this "fairly athletic" BS quip...

    I like him and all...but I'm still going to kick his ass in our next
    race...

    well congratulations on beating his ass by almost 30 runners. i think it's
    an impressive feat for a fat colored guy.

    Quoted message said:
  10. Quoted message said:

    it's amazing how someone so educated can be so stupid. Meb &
    Radcliffe...wear these knee high socks in races, marathons, etc...as
    these socks they believe had some blood circulatory benefit when racing
    or whatever. How do you feel about those socks Donnie? Why don't you
    wear them? If your view is different than Meb's and Paula's....are
    "you right" and they're wrong? Will you allow them to have contrary
    notions than yours?

    Sure. But last I checked, Paula Radcliffe didn't attribute her success primarily
    to her socks. You can have a view on these things one way or another, but I
    think most of these athletes, and most of the good coaches would attrinute most
    of their success to training.

    The Jack Daniels book profiles a number of athletes, and all of them attribute
    their success to various aspects of their training.

    Quoted message said:

    What about nasal strips Donovan? I can name you numerous elite
    athletes who wear them free of any endorsement contract. Now I may not
    buy into them....but I am not so stupid, arrogant, and pompous to
    dismiss their use for another person. You however are.

    Not at all. I don't have an opinion on them either way (but I'd laugh at anyone
    who thought that nasal strips were more important than interval work, for
    example)

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    You're not some kind of a "god" that can discern and delineate what's
    really the result of another person's performance. Donovan...a myriad
    of factors can produce optimum performance in an athlete....factors in
    areas that you don't accept.

    Some factors are known to make a huge difference. Some aren't. For example, your
    running economy will not increase by 10% when you put on a nasal strip.

    For an elite athlete, even a 0.1% boost may make the difference between olympic
    gold and obscurity, so those guys really care about the possibility of a 0.1%
    boost. But they're not going to argue that the 0.1% boost got them into the
    lead pack at the end of the race in the first place.

    Quoted message said:

    Be intelligent and mature enough Donovan to allow for the possibility
    that things you don't accept for you are effective for another
    person...

    Truth is not relative. Not all theories have equal merit. Some theories are
    good -- they have either considerable empirical data supporting them, a
    logical theoretical foundation that has its basis in empirical data, or both.
    But some theories are just dumb -- they either contradict or ignore a vast
    body of accumulated knowledge.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  11. Quoted message said:

    well congratulations on beating his ass by almost 30 runners. i think it's an impressive feat for a fat colored guy.


    -

    LOL. ya learn you gotta run most things donnie says through the
    "donnie-extreme-filter"...to discern reality. below is a photo of me
    after the race on Sunday. Keep in mind...according to Donnie, I am
    "fat".

    http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=7620&PWD=&ID=15408434&FROM=photos&BIB=6187

  12. Quoted message said:

    Donnie respects me and knows my potential if i adopted a proper
    training regime. He's right...no one ever beats me that is close to my
    size (muscle mass, thick legs, etc)....and I have much more mass than
    other competitive runners.

    Your current training regime is actually not dissimilar to one adopted by Jim
    Peters -- high training frequency, which facilitated both high mileage and a
    fairly good training intensity.

    Jim Peters was a great runner, one of the greatest. But he was ultimately
    beaten by the champion of interval training, Zatopek. Learn from history.
    Interval training is easy. You don't need a track. Just go up to the harlem
    hill, jog across the transverse, then run around the 1.14 mile upper part at a
    good clip. You should be able to do 3 or so of these in under 7 minutes each.

    Quoted message said:

    assessments...except this "fairly athletic" BS quip...

    OK, I was just trying to prod you to think a bit about your nutrition strategy.

    Quoted message said:

    I like him and all...but I'm still going to kick his ass in our next
    race...

    I'll be at Randalls on Tuesday. 3k. Good luck.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  13. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    well congratulations on beating his ass by almost 30 runners. i think
    it's an impressive feat for a fat colored guy.


    -

    LOL. ya learn you gotta run most things donnie says through the
    "donnie-extreme-filter"...to discern reality. below is a photo of me
    after the race on Sunday. Keep in mind...according to Donnie, I am
    "fat".

    hey, hey, hey 🙂

    Quoted message said:


    http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=7620&PWD=&ID=15408434&FROM=photos&BIB=6187

  14. "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:8pTue.2563$c97.2067@trndny07...

    Quoted message said:

    Hoping to hear back via SASE from your friend [censored] Vincent soon re
    escarpment. lol probably didn't get any points for priority-mailing in
    my
    application. Well it happens to be my goal race of the year so
    whatever...

    Ran with [censored] this morning. If you had a legit qualifier you will not
    have a problem. He was mailing some responses today.

    The irony, I have worked the finish line of this race for the last 5
    years or so. The way the weeks line up this year I will not be there but
    on the beach in Maine. I tried to get the wife to hold off one more day
    but shge mentioned something about me sleeping with the fish. 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    Going over to french creek state park in PA this weekend to run their
    double
    trouble 30k. Great park that I had good success in about 22 years ago
    while
    running the blue course in orienteering.

    They are calling for 100 degrees Saturday and only a little better
    Sunday. Drink, drink, drink, pee, pee, pee...
    Have fun....

    -Doug

  15. "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:8pTue.2563$c97.2067@trndny07...

    Quoted message said:

    Hoping to hear back via SASE from your friend [censored] Vincent soon re
    escarpment. lol probably didn't get any points for priority-mailing in
    my
    application. Well it happens to be my goal race of the year so
    whatever...

    Ran with [censored] this morning. If you had a legit qualifier you will not
    have a problem. He was mailing some responses today.

    The irony, I have worked the finish line of this race for the last 5
    years or so. The way the weeks line up this year I will not be there but
    on the beach in Maine. I tried to get the wife to hold off one more day
    but shge mentioned something about me sleeping with the fish. 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    Going over to french creek state park in PA this weekend to run their
    double
    trouble 30k. Great park that I had good success in about 22 years ago
    while
    running the blue course in orienteering.

    They are calling for 100 degrees Saturday and only a little better
    Sunday. Drink, drink, drink, pee, pee, pee...
    Have fun....

    -Doug

  16. "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I only took issue with it when he tried to argue that his "beating" me
    was a
    vindication of his silly theories on nutrition.

    Every time he goads you about beating you can't ignore it and insist on
    another reply. He tweaking your ego.

    -DF

  17. "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I only took issue with it when he tried to argue that his "beating" me
    was a
    vindication of his silly theories on nutrition.

    Every time he goads you about beating you can't ignore it and insist on
    another reply. He tweaking your ego.

    it would bother me if that fat ass beat me too.

    Quoted message said:


    -DF

  18. Doug Freese wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:


    "Tony" <qtrader2@(remove)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:8pTue.2563$c97.2067@trndny07...

    Quoted message said:

    Hoping to hear back via SASE from your friend [censored] Vincent soon re
    escarpment. lol probably didn't get any points for priority-mailing in
    my
    application. Well it happens to be my goal race of the year so
    whatever...

    Ran with [censored] this morning. If you had a legit qualifier you will not
    have a problem. He was mailing some responses today.

    The escarpment website qualifications were different until a couple of weeks
    ago. Now they match the application for this year's race.

    It used to say on the website "Anyone who has completed a marathon in less
    than 4 hours within the year", now it says "All of those who have finished a
    road marathon within the calendar year within 4 hours and 15 minutes". Thus,
    strictly taken now, the marathon I did last Nov doesn't qualify me (which
    was the only reason I ran it!).

    The website had said a 50k in < 5 1/2 hours within a year, now it says
    "Anyone who has finished a 50 miler in under 10 hours within the past year
    or a 50K under 5 hours. Add 1 1/2 hrs. for a trail race". So, presumably, a
    trail 50k of 6:30 would qualify, so my Groundhog 50k in 5:39 should do it.

    The other standard that might have qualified me is arbitrary: "Anyone who
    had completed a trail race of 20 miles or more in a reasonable time within
    the least year". I didn't want to take a chance, so I ran the marathon...

    Anyways, just anxious to make plans for the rest of the summer is all.

    Quoted message said:

    The irony, I have worked the finish line of this race for the last 5
    years or so. The way the weeks line up this year I will not be there but
    on the beach in Maine. I tried to get the wife to hold off one more day
    but shge mentioned something about me sleeping with the fish. 🙂

    I'm still planning the vermont 50m for this year.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Going over to french creek state park in PA this weekend to run their
    double
    trouble 30k. Great park that I had good success in about 22 years ago
    while
    running the blue course in orienteering.

    They are calling for 100 degrees Saturday and only a little better
    Sunday. Drink, drink, drink, pee, pee, pee...
    Have fun....

    Damn sure glad we had that heatwave 2 weeks ago; should be a bit acclimated.

    -Tony

    Quoted message said:

    -Doug

  19. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Donnie respects me and knows my potential if i adopted a proper
    training regime. He's right...no one ever beats me that is close to
    my
    size (muscle mass, thick legs, etc)....and I have much more mass than
    other competitive runners.

    Fatso! Sorry, I couldn't resist. 🙂 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    I like him and all...but I'm still going to kick his ass in our next
    race...

    Only if you create a new metric that includes positions of the stars and
    not the finish line but good luck.

    -DougF

  20. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=7620&PWD=&ID=15408434&FROM=photos&BIB=6187

    He is right what a load! The baggy shirt is hiding the pot belly and
    love handles. You need to be areodynamically svelt to whip Donovan. 🙂

    -DF

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.