I biked over the Brooklyn Bridge!

dgk

Guest
Ok, so big deal. But I've lived in NYC my whole life and never did it
before. Now I work only a few blocks from the bridge, and I needed to
go to one of our offices which is just on the other side of the Bridge
so I took the opportunity to bike over rather than take a train.

It really is much nicer than my commuting route over the 59th Street
Bridge, but is far more crowded, mostly tourists in the middle of the
day. It's the southern most east side bridge, so you really get a
great view of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. One really odd
thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
boardwalk so you clomp along. Not something that I'd like to do every
day but fun for a lunchtime trip.

In article <[email protected]>,
dgk <[email protected]> writes:

> Ok, so big deal.

Yeah, Johnny Weissmuller dived off it in the 1942 flick:
"Tarzan's New York Adventure." :)

> One really odd
> thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
> boardwalk so you clomp along.

Does that get sketchy in the rain?

Anyways you have my hat's off to you -- the older I get, the
more heights bother me, and my dislike of riding over high
bridges correspondingly increases -- especially when legally
relegated to the sidewalks of bridges.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- "Jane not worry. Tarzan find Boy."
Above address is just a spam midden.

"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, so big deal. But I've lived in NYC my whole life and never did it
> before. Now I work only a few blocks from the bridge, and I needed to
> go to one of our offices which is just on the other side of the Bridge
> so I took the opportunity to bike over rather than take a train.
>
> It really is much nicer than my commuting route over the 59th Street
> Bridge, but is far more crowded, mostly tourists in the middle of the
> day. It's the southern most east side bridge, so you really get a
> great view of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. One really odd
> thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
> boardwalk so you clomp along. Not something that I'd like to do every
> day but fun for a lunchtime trip.

That would have made for a very nice walk. You would have seen more and been
more relaxed. Why is it that no one but Great Ones like ME ever think of
walking?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:37:20 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Ok, so big deal. But I've lived in NYC my whole life and never did it
>> before. Now I work only a few blocks from the bridge, and I needed to
>> go to one of our offices which is just on the other side of the Bridge
>> so I took the opportunity to bike over rather than take a train.
>>
>> It really is much nicer than my commuting route over the 59th Street
>> Bridge, but is far more crowded, mostly tourists in the middle of the
>> day. It's the southern most east side bridge, so you really get a
>> great view of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. One really odd
>> thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
>> boardwalk so you clomp along. Not something that I'd like to do every
>> day but fun for a lunchtime trip.

>That would have made for a very nice walk. You would have seen more and been
>more relaxed. Why is it that no one but Great Ones like ME ever think of
>walking?

Oh, it's definitely a nice walk, but I felt that that would be taking
advantage of my employer a bit. I've always wanted to play tourist for
a day and just do that kind of stuff but somehow I never get to it.

There are two places (by the towers) where there are a bunch of brass
plaques that depict the history of the bridge and I stopped and read
them. The bridge really was a monumental feat of engineering. The main
designer actually invented the machine to create the cables, which
were pulled strand by strand. It's a work of art.

"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:37:20 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Ok, so big deal. But I've lived in NYC my whole life and never did it
>>> before. Now I work only a few blocks from the bridge, and I needed to
>>> go to one of our offices which is just on the other side of the Bridge
>>> so I took the opportunity to bike over rather than take a train.
>>>
>>> It really is much nicer than my commuting route over the 59th Street
>>> Bridge, but is far more crowded, mostly tourists in the middle of the
>>> day. It's the southern most east side bridge, so you really get a
>>> great view of the harbor and the Statue of Liberty. One really odd
>>> thing is that much of the path is made of wooden planks like a
>>> boardwalk so you clomp along. Not something that I'd like to do every
>>> day but fun for a lunchtime trip.

>>That would have made for a very nice walk. You would have seen more and
>>been
>>more relaxed. Why is it that no one but Great Ones like ME ever think of
>>walking?
>>

> Oh, it's definitely a nice walk, but I felt that that would be taking
> advantage of my employer a bit. I've always wanted to play tourist for
> a day and just do that kind of stuff but somehow I never get to it.

I lived and worked in NYC for several years and I made damn sure I saw
everything there was to see there. In fact, the whole time I was in NYC I
was nothing if not the perennial tourist. Life is very short. I would advise
you to take in the sights while you still have the energy to do so. I
played the tourist every weekend and I often took days off from work so I
could do as I pleased. Screw the employers! I don't live for them! To be in
NYC and not take it in fully marks you as a fool of the first magnitude.

> There are two places (by the towers) where there are a bunch of brass
> plaques that depict the history of the bridge and I stopped and read
> them. The bridge really was a monumental feat of engineering. The main
> designer actually invented the machine to create the cables, which
> were pulled strand by strand. It's a work of art.

But everything about NYC is a marvel. You need to stoke your imagination
more. There has never been a city like NYC in the entire history of the
world. It is privilege for a man of education and culture to live there,
however briefly.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> Oh, it's definitely a nice walk, but I felt that that would be taking
> advantage of my employer a bit. I've always wanted to play tourist for
> a day and just do that kind of stuff but somehow I never get to it.

Because I don't live in New York, I feel free to play tourist when I'm there
and have some time away from business. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (I
don't travel on business with a bicycle) is one of my favorite things. The
view is terrific. The breeze is refreshing. The people-watching is good. The
bridge itself is a wonderful marriage of engineering and art.

And it's free (which many tourist attractions in large cities are not).

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

[newsgroups expanded]

[Edward Dolan wrote:]

I lived and worked in NYC for several years and I made damn sure I saw
everything there was to see there. In fact, the whole time I was in NYC I
was nothing if not the perennial tourist. Life is very short. I would advise
you to take in the sights while you still have the energy to do so. I
played the tourist every weekend and I often took days off from work so I
could do as I pleased. Screw the employers! I don't live for them! To be in
NYC and not take it in fully marks you as a fool of the first magnitude.

> There are two places (by the towers) where there are a bunch of brass
> plaques that depict the history of the bridge and I stopped and read
> them. The bridge really was a monumental feat of engineering. The main
> designer actually invented the machine to create the cables, which
> were pulled strand by strand. It's a work of art.

But everything about NYC is a marvel. You need to stoke your imagination
more. There has never been a city like NYC in the entire history of the
world. It is privilege for a man of education and culture to live there,
however briefly.

>> Oh, it's definitely a nice walk, but I felt that that would be taking
>> advantage of my employer a bit. I've always wanted to play tourist for
>> a day and just do that kind of stuff but somehow I never get to it.
>>

> Because I don't live in New York, I feel free to play tourist when I'm
> there and have some time away from business. Walking across the Brooklyn
> Bridge (I don't travel on business with a bicycle) is one of my favorite
> things. The view is terrific. The breeze is refreshing. The
> people-watching is good. The bridge itself is a wonderful marriage of
> engineering and art.
>
> And it's free (which many tourist attractions in large cities are not).

And Brooklyn itself is a whole world unto its own. No one, but no one,
should ever leave New York without a walk along the promenade in Brooklyn
Heights (not far from the Brooklyn Bridge). This is a world class view and
one that I did every night when I lived in Brooklyn Heights. When you are
young at heart and full of the possibilities for romance, it is like being
in paradise. New York can be a magic city that you fall in love with just as
much as any young person can fall in love with Paris.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:11:15 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>could do as I pleased. Screw the employers! I don't live for them! To be in
>NYC and not take it in fully marks you as a fool of the first magnitude.

Oh Ed, you almost made it through an entire thread without being
nasty.

"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:11:15 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>could do as I pleased. Screw the employers! I don't live for them! To be
>>in
>>NYC and not take it in fully marks you as a fool of the first magnitude.
>>

> Oh Ed, you almost made it through an entire thread without being
> nasty.

It is what is known as a zinger and I am famous (or maybe notorious) for it.
How else do you make idiots sit up and take notice of what you say if you
don't throw a couple of insults their way. Not only that, but it helps them
remember what was said as well as who said it and maybe they can learn
something from it.

My signature serves the same function. I want to be taken note of and
remembered. Your 'dgk' is pitiful. If you want to be that anonymous, why not
just crawl away and die under some bridge, maybe the Brooklyn Bridge!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

I actually feel a bit bad for pedestrians on the Brooklyn Bridge. It
sucks having to be kept to one narrow lane of a narrow path with all
the goddamned tourists in the world. But of course, bikes would never
be able to get anywhere otherwise.

Still, it sucks not being able to enjoy the view in peace, having to
watch out for this and that. I wonder if another pathway couldn't be
added somehow...?? I wonder if it's even physically possible, from a
civil engineering perspective, or practical....

NYC XYZ <[email protected]> wrote:
>I actually feel a bit bad for pedestrians on the Brooklyn Bridge. It
>sucks having to be kept to one narrow lane of a narrow path with all
>the goddamned tourists in the world. But of course, bikes would never
>be able to get anywhere otherwise.
>
>Still, it sucks not being able to enjoy the view in peace, having to
>watch out for this and that. I wonder if another pathway couldn't be
>added somehow...?? I wonder if it's even physically possible, from a
>civil engineering perspective, or practical....

Ideally, a car lane would be co-opted for bikes and peds could
have the whole walkway to themselves. Don't hold your breath
though. Maybe after congestion pricing is implemented....

(In the meantime, the Manhattan Bridge is a much less crowded
alternative for cyclists.)

--
Steven O'Neill [email protected]
Brooklyn, NY

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I actually feel a bit bad for pedestrians on the Brooklyn Bridge. It
> sucks having to be kept to one narrow lane of a narrow path with all
> the goddamned tourists in the world.

Unless you sold it for twenty-four bucks, you're one of the Goddamned
tourists yourself.

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> How am I a tourist in my own City?
>
> It was Manhattan Island that was bought for $24, you goddamned tourist.

My ancestors arrived in 1628. And you're absolutely right, I'm a goddamned
tourist.

Just like you are.

Ah, my faithful e-shadow.

Tell me, my little butt-hole: how's the weather where the sun don't
shine?

R Brickston wrote:

> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 +10dB
> TROLL-O-METER

What? I thought I told you to find a knife and make love to it!
What're you still doing here??

That's a New Yawk tourist tradition, man. You ain't seen nothing if
you haven't seen midnight in the sun. Enjoy, ya GOD-DAMNED TOURIST!