I bought the wrong bike-live and learn!!

rayhuang

Jul 27, 2006
Basically in a nutshell, I bought my first new bike in 15 years last summer and 5 months later, I am buying a new bike and selling the old new one. NO ones to blame but myself, but if I can give any advice looking back-if youve got a LBS that offers extended test rides and/or demo bikes-GO for it!! They charged my CC $2000 for a safety deposit which is refunded as soon as i dont steal the bike. I rode the test bike that was carefully fitted to me (which is huge and undr no obligation to buy no less) by the salesperson and I rode it for 2 hours up hills, down two 45mph descents (one techincal), 1 to 2km climbs of 4 to 8% grades, flats, rollers, headwinds, you name it I hit it on this ride. Tomorrow I ride it harder and do some full out sprints in my own gear and on roads I know!!

By comparison my test rides of all the bikes I thought I wanted the FIRST time consisted of rides in parking lots (which I knew was stupid) or at best around the neighborhood by the store. No time to make adjustments, ride, think abut them, feel them out then make more to make sure its the right bike for you.

So in short-if you have a reputable bike shop with truly concerned and hardworking employees and they offer this service-by all means-take them up on the offer!! I'm not saying you cannot buy a bike sight unseen (e-bay, online retailer) and be happy, but I just spent $2200 5 months ago to conclude its not the right frame or material or geometry or whatever for me.

Its been an eye opening day for me!!

Ray

Heh...yeah the first time that somebody offered to let me take a bike home and test it out over the weekend I thought they were daft. I soon realized that they were fine, it was just the first time that I had walked into a quality cycling shop. :D

What I am having the most problem is getting my head around the depreciation my bike went through the moment it left the store and the bath I'll take on e-bay to do this deal...... Basically to buy a bike barely $400 more than my bike when comparing new to new pricing, I have to spend ~$1400 out of pocket!!

rule62-of course i had to have a "moment" with the loaner bike!! I was rolling up to a light behind an suv and the light started to turn. I could tell he contemplated going through on yellow then stopped short of the line instead and I almost a$$ packed the land rover. The brakes are way stronger on this than my bike as well (better pads I assume)) so I locked up the rear and basically missed the rear corner of his car by cm's!!

Hi,

I find Im amazed a store wanted that much of a deposit. When I was shopping around for my new ride last summer. I tried bike which varied from $1200 to $5000++. No deposit. Some rides lasted almost an hour. Although the bike a bought I only had out for less then ten minutes. (The guy thought there was something wrong with the bike when I returned.)

Mike
P.S. Ended up buying a Cervelo Soloist Centaur.Nice ride.

Mike1970 said:
Hi,

I find Im amazed a store wanted that much of a deposit. When I was shopping around for my new ride last summer. I tried bike which varied from $1200 to $5000++. No deposit. Some rides lasted almost an hour. Although the bike a bought I only had out for less then ten minutes. (The guy thought there was something wrong with the bike when I returned.)

Mike
P.S. Ended up buying a Cervelo Soloist Centaur.Nice ride.
I had the bike for 48 hours and could have even taken it another three days!! This is much more than a hour or two test!!