I bowed my head a little

Michael MacClancy wrote:

> And the moral of this story is that you should always lock or chain your
> coffee cup. ;-)

You are Alan Turing AICMFP!

"njf>badger< badger" <"njf"@soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Southampton?

> YEP!
> >
> > Nice to know the flowers kids are still as bad as their grandparents of

the
> > early 70's!!

> Worse, much worse, still if you know who the estate was built for hardly
> surprising....

It was a no go area for students in the early 70's with several beaten to a
pulp and at least one stabbing.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:53:12 -0000, "Tony W"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>>> Nice to know the flowers kids are still as bad as their grandparents of
>>> the early 70's!!

>> Worse, much worse, still if you know who the estate was built for hardly
>> surprising....

>It was a no go area for students in the early 70's with several beaten to a
>pulp and at least one stabbing.

And one friend of mine beaten up outside Mike's Fish Bar in the late
80s by a heroic group of hulking Flower lads, several of whom were
clearly required to overcome a terrifying 5'6" mild-mannered PhD
chemist.

Still a world class chippie, mind, but we preferred the one in
Swaythling next to the Racquet Shop (we had the flat above the Racquet
Shop and the chips were still sizzling when we got them home).

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:59:25 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Still a world class chippie, mind, but we preferred the one in
>Swaythling next to the Racquet Shop (we had the flat above the Racquet
>Shop and the chips were still sizzling when we got them home).

Is that the one facing the end of Burgess Road? It's on one of my
routes home from town.

I may have to try it.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:48:17 +0000, Al C-F
<[email protected]>:

>>Still a world class chippie, mind, but we preferred the one in
>>Swaythling next to the Racquet Shop (we had the flat above the Racquet
>>Shop and the chips were still sizzling when we got them home).

>Is that the one facing the end of Burgess Road? It's on one of my
>routes home from town.

Yes, that's it. It may well have changed hands since, of course. In
those days there was a Yugo garage on the corner as well, which
provided some unintentional comedy :)

Guy
--

Al C-F wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:59:25 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Still a world class chippie, mind, but we preferred the one in
>>Swaythling next to the Racquet Shop (we had the flat above the Racquet
>>Shop and the chips were still sizzling when we got them home).

> Is that the one facing the end of Burgess Road? It's on one of my
> routes home from town.
>
> I may have to try it.

just watch out for the lower flowers lot....
did you know Cantell (formerly glenaire)(sp?) school had the highest
rate of murderers and rapists amounst its former pupils of any school in
the country?
Not surprising really, the estate was built for the families of the
highest security prisoners held on the IOW!

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:44:40 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>Is that the one facing the end of Burgess Road? It's on one of my
>>routes home from town.

>Yes, that's it. It may well have changed hands since, of course. In
>those days there was a Yugo garage on the corner as well, which
>provided some unintentional comedy :)

Said site is now occupied by a drive through McDonalds.

More on topic, Colin's Cycles just up the road closed a few years ago.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:34:52 GMT, Badger <[email protected]>
wrote:

>just watch out for the lower flowers lot....
>did you know Cantell (formerly glenaire)(sp?) school had the highest
>rate of murderers and rapists amounst its former pupils of any school in
>the country?
>Not surprising really, the estate was built for the families of the
>highest security prisoners held on the IOW!

Alas no. I wasn't brought up round these parts, and I'm still not
sure that I know which bit 'The Flowers' refers to. SWMBO may have
more idea though.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:21:59 +0000, Al C-F
<[email protected]>:

>>Yes, that's it. It may well have changed hands since, of course. In
>>those days there was a Yugo garage on the corner as well, which
>>provided some unintentional comedy :)

>Said site is now occupied by a drive through McDonalds.

Ah, well, in earlier times "driving through" would have been counted a
major achievement. My mate Prof Higson recounts the tale of the day a
Newly Fettled Yugo was driven from said place to the traffic lights
(distance: 20yds), did stall with an Bang, refused to restart and
ignominiously retraced its journey under bloke-in-boiler-suit power.
How he larffed!

Not that the Prof was, at this time, in much of a position to cast
aspersions, being at the time the proud owner of Jif, a lemon yellow
Morris Ital whose seats were not quite as firmly attached to the floor
as perhaps they might have been, and whose windows had an alarming
tendency to descend into the bowels of the doors at Warp Factor 9
(accompanied by an alarmingly loud Bang) if opened more than 1/4".

As usual with the Prof he sold this car at a Handsome Profit despite
its being short at least one cylinder at the time. Jammy fbq.

Guy
--

Al C-F wrote:
>>Yes, that's it. It may well have changed hands since, of course. In
>>those days there was a Yugo garage on the corner as well, which
>>provided some unintentional comedy :)

> Said site is now occupied by a drive through McDonalds.

Na that was the black cat pub, theres still a car sales on the corner
concerned.