I bowed my head a little

Richard Bates

Guest
It was a sad moment yesterday, as I removed my bike lock from it's
home of the last three and a half years - the Sheffield stand at
Birmingham Children's Hospital.

My next employer, at which I start in early January, has a metal shed
with a concrete base, inside which has been fixed a anchor point. I do
hope my bike gets on with the lawnmower...

Unfortunately, my bike will have no company from others of the same
species as I will be the only cyclist. But I'm told that several
people walk to work.

Lockers and a shower are of course provided too, as requested in my
interview 2 months ago!

How exciting.

--
Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.

Richard Bates wrote:
> It was a sad moment yesterday, as I removed my bike lock from it's
> home of the last three and a half years - the Sheffield stand at
> Birmingham Children's Hospital.
>
> My next employer, at which I start in early January, has a metal shed
> with a concrete base, inside which has been fixed a anchor point. I

do
> hope my bike gets on with the lawnmower...
>
> Unfortunately, my bike will have no company from others of the same
> species as I will be the only cyclist. But I'm told that several
> people walk to work.
>
> Lockers and a shower are of course provided too, as requested in my
> interview 2 months ago!

Lucky boy. Good luck in your new job. Our place has an underground
car park that averages 5 or 6 bike thefts a year. If security was
better (or if security existed), and there was a shower, I'd get a road
bike and would ride the 25 mile (each way) journey to work. It
wouldn't take much longer than driving it.

--
Hywel

Richard Bates wrote:

> Unfortunately, my bike will have no company from others of the
> same species as I will be the only cyclist. But I'm told that
> several people walk to work.

The use of a sensible transport mode can be catching. With luck you may
pass the contagion on. Good luck in your new job!

--
Dave...

Richard Bates composed the following ...
> It was a sad moment yesterday, as I removed my bike lock from it's
> home of the last three and a half years - the Sheffield stand at
> Birmingham Children's Hospital.

I always wondered if people left D-locks and the like so they could
'reserve' their place, or if people had simply mistakenly left them, or even
if the bikes had been stolen .. ;)

> How exciting.

Good luck for your new job.

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

Paul - *** wrote:
> Richard Bates composed the following ...
>
>>It was a sad moment yesterday, as I removed my bike lock from it's
>>home of the last three and a half years - the Sheffield stand at
>>Birmingham Children's Hospital.

> I always wondered if people left D-locks and the like so they could
> 'reserve' their place, [...]

It's not about reserving a place, it's about avoiding carrying a three
pound lump of metal each way on the ride.

Colin

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:26:49 -0000, "Paul - ***"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I always wondered if people left D-locks and the like so they could
>'reserve' their place, or if people had simply mistakenly left them, or even
>if the bikes had been stolen .. ;)

It just saves me carrying a heavy lock each way.
--
Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.
... erm, how do they figure that one out?

I happen to work at a number of places and therefore have a number of
D-locks that I leave locked in various bike sheds.

Turned up on Friday at an office I had not been to in two weeks only to
find that the bike shed had gone! Soon found the new one that had been
build. However, no lock to be seen.

Phoned facilities to see if they could find it, quite expecting them to
say "what do you expect if you leave it locked to bike rack". However,
ten minutes later and I am off to the LBS to buy myself a nice new lock
all paid for by employer.

Gordon

Richard Bates wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:26:49 -0000, "Paul - ***"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I always wondered if people left D-locks and the like so they could
>>'reserve' their place, or if people had simply mistakenly left them, or even
>>if the bikes had been stolen .. ;)

> It just saves me carrying a heavy lock each way.

> Paul - *** wrote:
> > I always wondered if people left D-locks and the like so they could
> > 'reserve' their place, [...]

> It's not about reserving a place, it's about avoiding carrying a three
> pound lump of metal each way on the ride.

Shounds a bit whiskey to me, it could get nicked.

Pete

Colin Blackburn composed the following ...
> Paul - *** wrote:
>> Richard Bates composed the following ...
>>
>>> It was a sad moment yesterday, as I removed my bike lock from it's
>>> home of the last three and a half years - the Sheffield stand at
>>> Birmingham Children's Hospital.

>> I always wondered if people left D-locks and the like so they could
>> 'reserve' their place, [...]

> It's not about reserving a place, it's about avoiding carrying a three
> pound lump of metal each way on the ride.

Heheheh, I didn't even think of that. :)

--

Peter B wrote:

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Paul - *** wrote:
>>
>>>I always wondered if people left D-locks and the like so they could
>>>'reserve' their place, [...]

>>It's not about reserving a place, it's about avoiding carrying a three
>>pound lump of metal each way on the ride.

> Shounds a bit whiskey to me, it could get nicked.
>
> Pete

Try it at the uni where I work and you'd find it full of super glue...

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:49:24 GMT, Badger <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Peter B wrote:
>
>> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>It's not about reserving a place, it's about avoiding carrying a three
>>>pound lump of metal each way on the ride.

>> Shounds a bit whiskey to me, it could get nicked.
>>
>> Pete

>Try it at the uni where I work and you'd find it full of super glue...

I don't leave locks in public areas. I left this particular one in an
area which was supposedly inaccessible to non-staff.

--

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I always wondered if people left D-locks and the like so they could
>'reserve' their place, or if people had simply mistakenly left them, or even
>if the bikes had been stolen .. ;)

This is uk.rec.cycling, not hun.rec.sunlounger.

Richard Bates wrote:

>>Try it at the uni where I work and you'd find it full of super glue...

> I don't leave locks in public areas. I left this particular one in an
> area which was supposedly inaccessible to non-staff.

The flowers kids are bad enough, but some of the staff and students are
even worse....

nobody composed the following ...
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:26:49 -0000, "Paul - ***"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> I always wondered if people left D-locks and the like so they could
>> 'reserve' their place, or if people had simply mistakenly left them, or
>> even if the bikes had been stolen .. ;)
>>

> This is uk.rec.cycling, not hun.rec.sunlounger.

At least they know where their towels are ....

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
(8(!) Homer Rules ... ;)
"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

"Badger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The flowers kids are bad enough, but some of the staff and students are
> even worse....

Southampton?

Nice to know the flowers kids are still as bad as their grandparents of the
early 70's!!

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> It's not about reserving a place, it's about avoiding carrying a three
> pound lump of metal each way on the ride.

Which is a nice idea until such time as the bicycle breaks down halfway home
in such a manner as to be unfixable with the tools carried about one's
person and has to be left behind for later retrieval...

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

On 22/12/04 11:35 am, in article [email protected], "Dave
Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>> It's not about reserving a place, it's about avoiding carrying a three
>> pound lump of metal each way on the ride.

> Which is a nice idea until such time as the bicycle breaks down halfway home
> in such a manner as to be unfixable with the tools carried about one's
> person and has to be left behind for later retrieval...

Well that isn't a problem for me. I can walk half way in ten minutes, and
ride past the allotment so could put it in the shed if it was uncarryable.

And anyway, isn't that waht taxis are for?

...d

In message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes

>Our place has an underground
>car park that averages 5 or 6 bike thefts a year. If security was
>better (or if security existed), and there was a shower, I'd get a road
>bike and would ride the 25 mile (each way) journey to work. It
>wouldn't take much longer than driving it.

At my work (which is about 50 yards from a tube station) there is a
large underground car park. I believe staff have to pay to use it
though, so it's never full. Last year they tried selling some of the
spaces at close to NCP rates.

There is no specific bike parking provision, but a few cyclists
including me sometimes chain their bikes to what few railings there are.

Last week, I placed my Cafe Nero coffee (free thanks to a loyalty card)
carefully to one side as I locked my bike to a railing in front of
another bike which has been there for months. My rear wheel nudged the
other bike, which promptly fell over onto my coffee cup, spilling the
entire contents. There was no lock or chain on it.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:10:36 +0000, congokid wrote:

> My rear wheel nudged the other bike, which promptly fell over onto my
> coffee cup, spilling the entire contents. There was no lock or chain on
> it.

And the moral of this story is that you should always lock or chain your
coffee cup. ;-)
--
Michael MacClancy

www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
www.macclancy.co.uk

Tony W wrote:
> "Badger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>The flowers kids are bad enough, but some of the staff and students are
>>even worse....

> Southampton?

YEP!

> Nice to know the flowers kids are still as bad as their grandparents of the
> early 70's!!

Worse, much worse, still if you know who the estate was built for hardly
surprising....