I can't afford to do what I love

ridelikenodbody

Oct 18, 2014
I love cycling but when you tot up the jerseys, shorts, shoes, and bike needed,.. oh not to mention the cycling trips away with "the club" - special diets, energy gels, etc... Its just a bit soul destroying the money needed for all of this

Like are those who are in cycling clubs minted? I know some aer, but how do you afford those carbon/semi carbon bikes? I like quality and I know one has to pay for it but still how do people who are on a budget afford this lifedtyle?

For the record, I work yes, but still...I may aswell starve if I want to do this. I was thinking of joining Rapha but a PIPE DREAM for now, with their ridiculous prices.

I should start a thread - tips on how to be the best cyclist you can be on a budget...I haven't joined a cycling club yet, why? because I have an old steal vintage road bike, that'll probably be laughed and sniggered at, or am I being far fetched????

Thoughts and opinions please.

Just go join a club and ride. You're the only one holding yourself back at this point.

As long as your bike is functional and your clothing is comfortable, everything else is superfluous. Good riders are good regardless of equipment.

Reactions: Connie858
Indeed, it is an expensive hobby, but don’t let this discourage you from trying it out because there are a lot of ways you can still enjoy cycling. You can start with your old bike and eventually buy a middle type one then if you have the money go for the specialized one if you are really dedicated to it. My first bike was a mountain bike given to me by my parents and I guess this is ideal because it can be used on the road or rough terrain so it is a money saver.

I agree, if you can't buy the expensive parts, just go with the cheaper ones. I mean, there are some ridiculous prices out there, even if I was rich I would refuse to pay so much money for meaningless parts, just to be some grams lighter.

Like others have said, start small and work your way up. Generally you'd be amazed at what kinds of things come and go through thrift stores and the like. I've worked for various thrift stores and their online departments in parts of the country for years and I've seen nice gently used cycling gear enter the stores. Bicycles from big brands also come in- sure they may be older models, but they're still pretty good. Just do some research for parts, ect and you're good to go. Save up money to get the carbon fiber bike and in the meantime work with what you have. As long as you shop smart, you can actually get a good deal on this stuff. Also don't forget to check classified listings too.

It doesn't have to be too expensive, you don't need all the ultra expensive equipment to enjoy the sport unless you're a competitive cyclist, I know people want to optimise, but you have to be responsible and only spend what you can afford, there's no need to throw away the hobby, just use the cheaper alternatives.

Unless we are doing competition I don't feel that the price should matter, these days we can buy fairly reliable material for an affordable price. More, if we can't get new we can always get 2nd hand.

No need for all that extra equipment in my opinion. As long as the clothes fit and you are comfortable, you are allowed to ride whenever you want. Also, as long as you have a working bike and a helmet, the same goes to you. When I was a kid (not professional) I used to go out in a pair of loose shorts and a t-shirt. Nothing really has changed except I wear more fitting clothes now. Don't let this stop you!

Indeed, cycling is an expensive hobby, but you always start small and then go big. I personally found that i didn't really need all that fancy equipment. I bought a fairly decent bike and try to keep it in top condition. My clothes and security equipment are also pretty simple. I don't compete so I also feel like the price simply isn't worth it.

Well as for me, I don't really have all those equipments that you mentioned nor have I included myself in any of those clubs. I just have my cycle and basic stuffs but I ride everyday. I enjoy cycling by myself and being free having the air fly on my cheeks. You could definitely enjoy doing what you love.

Yep, if we join a club and need to ride with certain jerseys and so on it's always more pricey, but it's not that expensive really and if we do love it we manage to find the money I think.

It is an expensive hobby without any doubts, but you don't need all of that equipment at once!
Don't discourage yourself, buy stuff that you really need. :>

You don't need to have all the gear to get started. Cycling is supposed to be fun, people join a club because they enjoy riding with others. Just join the club and come with what you have, as money allows you can pick up a new item here and there. I don't think anyone who understands the love of cycling would laugh at you for not having a carbon bike.

When has riding a bicycle ever become so complicated? I would just get the next best bike and go out there and pedal away into the wild... or urban, whichever you prefer. I wouldn't spend much time thinking about quality bike brands and designer wear, but just buy whatever you need and go and follow your dream. :) I've been riding since I was 5. In flip-flops, sport shoes, sandals, even platform shoes... in my shorts, in a dress, in whatever the occasion demanded. I've even been riding barefoot in my swimwear. Nothing can stop me from riding my bike.

I agree. This is one of the reasons I was apprehensive to transition in triathlon. My original passion was running. It seems an expensive hobby but in reality you can start small and just go with the basics. There is no need to worry about getting the best bike, state of the art gears and super expensive nutrition unless you are an elite professional athlete and competing in events where every small advantage counts.

If you're looking to really get into this in a more serious (pricey) way I would make a list. Make sure needs are the only thing on this list. If you have things you want those can wait. Little by little buy things one at a time until you're comfortable joining a club.

Everyone starts of somewhere. Of you want to improve yourself, your equipment and salary why not do courses futher your studiez.

There are really cheap bikes so unless we are in a terrible condition we will be able to cycle and it's great. With effort we can upgrade our machine if necessary.