I can't believe I forgot to post this here

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jeff Grippe, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    On October 26, while riding home from the train station on my trike, I was
    hit from behind by a car. The result was a broken back (T8) and a spinal
    cord injury. I spent a total of one month in the hospital between the trauma
    hospital and the rehab hospital. I have been home since the day before
    Thanksgiving. At this point I am walking with a cane and can actually walk a
    mile or two on good days. It isn't clear how much I'll get back but I
    certainly should get back enough to be riding again.

    Pictures of the post-crash trike can be seen here:

    http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/crashedtrike.msnw

    Pictures of me in my back brace can be seen here:

    http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/superjef.msnw

    I teach a Sunday school class and when the accident occurred it was as if I
    suddenly disappeared. I wanted to do something to let me kids know that I
    was in good spirits and that I was recovering. That was the reason for
    drawing the Superman logo on the back brace. It turned out to be a real mood
    elevator for both the staff and the other patients in the rehab hospital.
    The whole experience has turned me into a bit of a Superman collector
    especially in the apparel department.

    The back brace has been off for over a month now and I am continuing to
    slowly heal and improve.

    Jeff Grippe
    White Plains, NY

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Grippe wrote:
    > On October 26, while riding home from the train station on my trike, I was
    > hit from behind by a car. The result was a broken back (T8) and a spinal
    > cord injury. I spent a total of one month in the hospital between the trauma
    > hospital and the rehab hospital. I have been home since the day before
    > Thanksgiving. At this point I am walking with a cane and can actually walk a
    > mile or two on good days. It isn't clear how much I'll get back but I
    > certainly should get back enough to be riding again....

    I suggest a replacement trike with suspension (to reduce shock to the
    spine), more crash protection, and more visibility to motorists:
    <http://www.leitra.dk/>.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit?)

  3. HH

    HH Guest

    "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On October 26, while riding home from the train station on my trike, I was
    > hit from behind by a car. The result was a broken back (T8) and a spinal
    > cord injury. I spent a total of one month in the hospital between the
    > trauma hospital and the rehab hospital. I have been home since the day
    > before Thanksgiving. At this point I am walking with a cane and can
    > actually walk a mile or two on good days. It isn't clear how much I'll get
    > back but I certainly should get back enough to be riding again.
    >
    > Pictures of the post-crash trike can be seen here:
    >
    > http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/crashedtrike.msnw
    >
    > Pictures of me in my back brace can be seen here:
    >
    > http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/superjef.msnw
    >
    > I teach a Sunday school class and when the accident occurred it was as if
    > I suddenly disappeared. I wanted to do something to let me kids know that
    > I was in good spirits and that I was recovering. That was the reason for
    > drawing the Superman logo on the back brace. It turned out to be a real
    > mood elevator for both the staff and the other patients in the rehab
    > hospital. The whole experience has turned me into a bit of a Superman
    > collector especially in the apparel department.
    >
    > The back brace has been off for over a month now and I am continuing to
    > slowly heal and improve.
    >
    > Jeff Grippe
    > White Plains, NY

    I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds to me as if you are lucky to be able to
    walk. I'm glad you making a good recovery.

    After looking at your trike photos I think I would take the "This Bike
    Fights Diabetes" sign off until the repairs are complete. As it looks now
    diabetes appears to have won the fight. ;-)

    I'm wondering after all this you've been through, if you still think trike
    commuting in NYC is worth it?

  4. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On October 26, while riding home from the train station on my trike, I was
    > hit from behind by a car. The result was a broken back (T8) and a spinal
    > cord injury. I spent a total of one month in the hospital between the
    > trauma hospital and the rehab hospital. I have been home since the day
    > before Thanksgiving. At this point I am walking with a cane and can
    > actually walk a mile or two on good days. It isn't clear how much I'll get
    > back but I certainly should get back enough to be riding again.
    >
    > Pictures of the post-crash trike can be seen here:
    >
    > http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/crashedtrike.msnw
    >
    > Pictures of me in my back brace can be seen here:
    >
    > http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/superjef.msnw
    >
    > I teach a Sunday school class and when the accident occurred it was as if
    > I suddenly disappeared. I wanted to do something to let me kids know that
    > I was in good spirits and that I was recovering. That was the reason for
    > drawing the Superman logo on the back brace. It turned out to be a real
    > mood elevator for both the staff and the other patients in the rehab
    > hospital. The whole experience has turned me into a bit of a Superman
    > collector especially in the apparel department.
    >
    > The back brace has been off for over a month now and I am continuing to
    > slowly heal and improve.
    >
    > Jeff Grippe
    > White Plains, NY

    Hi Jeff,

    I was wondering what had happened to you. I missed you here on ARBR. You
    were a worthy adversary for me, one of the few. I am very sorry to hear
    about your accident and hope that you will make a full recovery and soon. It
    can't be much fun to be hobbling around when you could be riding your bike.

    Jeff, I am not going to the links above because I have a picture of you in
    my mind which I want to keep. I picture you as a big guy and kind of a
    gruff. Further, it would not be fair for me to see what you look like and
    you not see what I look like.

    I suggest we stay off the subject of abortion forever. You and I are never
    going to solve this vexing social problem in our lifetimes.

    Jeff, do you think you would have suffered the accident if you had not been
    so low on your trike. You had the kind of accident that all of us who ride
    low trikes have nightmares about.

    Best Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  5. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "HH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    [...]
    > I'm wondering after all this you've been through, if you still think trike
    > commuting in NYC is worth it?

    That is an excellent question HH. I know I am very careful about where I
    ride my low recumbent trikes. But even so, I do fear being hit from behind
    because I am so low. I try never to get in the roadway with motor vehicles.
    I will always be very far to the right and preferably on a shoulder.

    I once did a week long bike tour in Wyoming where there was one recumbent
    trike. The darn roads there in Wyoming are just two lanes with not much of a
    shoulder at all. And then the shoulder had those speed bumps in them so that
    the trike had to ride in the roadway with motor vehicles.

    I just about had a heart attack worrying about him. He survived but there
    were many scary moments. These damn big trucks would come up behind him and
    then had to brake like crazy. The guy on the trike thought he had a right to
    the road the same as those trucks and he would not get over and those damn
    speed bumps prevented him from riding on the shoulder like the rest of us.
    I think the director decided after that experience to prohibit trikes on
    that ride (Tour de Wyoming).

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  6. Edward Dolan wrote:
    > Jeff, do you think you would have suffered the accident if you had not been
    > so low on your trike. You had the kind of accident that all of us who ride
    > low trikes have nightmares about.

    Judging from the pictures, Jeff's trike has a seat height of about 20
    inches (~50 cm) and a modest recline of about 75° (from horizontal).
    This seat position is very similar to that of an Easy Racers
    TE/GRR/TiGRR, and is very high and upright compared to most tadpole
    trikes.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit?)

  7. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    Edward Dolan wrote:
    > Jeff, do you think you would have suffered the accident if you had not
    > been
    > so low on your trike. You had the kind of accident that all of us who ride
    > low trikes have nightmares about.

    Judging from the pictures, Jeff's trike has a seat height of about 20
    inches (~50 cm) and a modest recline of about 75° (from horizontal).
    This seat position is very similar to that of an Easy Racers
    TE/GRR/TiGRR, and is very high and upright compared to most tadpole
    trikes.

    Well damnation! I suppose I should go and have a look at the pictures
    myself. I have three recumbent trikes (two deltas and one tadpole) and they
    are all very low to the ground. I wonder what kind of trike Jeff has.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  8. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    Funny that you should provide me with a link to the Leitra web site. The
    trike that I have committed to purchase from someone close to me is a
    Leitra. I am impressed with that fact that CG has been building them for
    over 20 years. 8 of them have been in collisions with cars and nobody has
    been seriously hurt.

    Good call.

    Jeff
    "Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Jeff Grippe wrote:
    >> On October 26, while riding home from the train station on my trike, I
    >> was
    >> hit from behind by a car. The result was a broken back (T8) and a spinal
    >> cord injury. I spent a total of one month in the hospital between the
    >> trauma
    >> hospital and the rehab hospital. I have been home since the day before
    >> Thanksgiving. At this point I am walking with a cane and can actually
    >> walk a
    >> mile or two on good days. It isn't clear how much I'll get back but I
    >> certainly should get back enough to be riding again....

    > I suggest a replacement trike with suspension (to reduce shock to the
    > spine), more crash protection, and more visibility to motorists:
    > <http://www.leitra.dk/>.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit?)

  9. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    "HH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On October 26, while riding home from the train station on my trike, I
    >> was hit from behind by a car. The result was a broken back (T8) and a
    >> spinal cord injury. I spent a total of one month in the hospital between
    >> the trauma hospital and the rehab hospital. I have been home since the
    >> day before Thanksgiving. At this point I am walking with a cane and can
    >> actually walk a mile or two on good days. It isn't clear how much I'll
    >> get back but I certainly should get back enough to be riding again.
    >>
    >> Pictures of the post-crash trike can be seen here:
    >>
    >> http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/crashedtrike.msnw
    >>
    >> Pictures of me in my back brace can be seen here:
    >>
    >> http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/superjef.msnw
    >>
    >> I teach a Sunday school class and when the accident occurred it was as if
    >> I suddenly disappeared. I wanted to do something to let me kids know that
    >> I was in good spirits and that I was recovering. That was the reason for
    >> drawing the Superman logo on the back brace. It turned out to be a real
    >> mood elevator for both the staff and the other patients in the rehab
    >> hospital. The whole experience has turned me into a bit of a Superman
    >> collector especially in the apparel department.
    >>
    >> The back brace has been off for over a month now and I am continuing to
    >> slowly heal and improve.
    >>
    >> Jeff Grippe
    >> White Plains, NY
    >>

    > I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds to me as if you are lucky to be able to
    > walk. I'm glad you making a good recovery.
    >
    > After looking at your trike photos I think I would take the "This Bike
    > Fights Diabetes" sign off until the repairs are complete. As it looks now
    > diabetes appears to have won the fight. ;-)
    >
    > I'm wondering after all this you've been through, if you still think trike
    > commuting in NYC is worth it?

    Worth it? When you put it that way it becomes a difficult question to
    answer. On the one hand I don't want to let the cars win. On the other hand
    it is really too long a trip for me to find a safe route. I'm thinking of
    finding a "less traveled" route to the train station that would give me
    between 5 and 10 miles each way.

    Jeff

  10. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    > I was wondering what had happened to you. I missed you here on ARBR. You
    > were a worthy adversary for me, one of the few. I am very sorry to hear
    > about your accident and hope that you will make a full recovery and soon.
    > It can't be much fun to be hobbling around when you could be riding your
    > bike.

    Certainly not fun but I am recovering well all things considered.

    > Jeff, I am not going to the links above because I have a picture of you in
    > my mind which I want to keep. I picture you as a big guy and kind of a
    > gruff. Further, it would not be fair for me to see what you look like and
    > you not see what I look like.

    I'm not in the pictures of the crashed trike.

    > I suggest we stay off the subject of abortion forever. You and I are never
    > going to solve this vexing social problem in our lifetimes.

    As you wish. I agree.

    > Jeff, do you think you would have suffered the accident if you had not
    > been so low on your trike. You had the kind of accident that all of us who
    > ride low trikes have nightmares about.

    The Tricruiser is not low at all. It is among the highest of tadpole trikes.
    Go to

    www.americruiser.com

    Where there are both pictures and videos.

    If I had been on any other tadpole I think I would have been killed. The
    heavy rear rack on the tricruiser took most of the impact and the fact that
    the cruiser is so high, I'm sure, saved my life.

  11. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    >Judging from the pictures, Jeff's trike has a seat height of about 20
    >inches (~50 cm) and a modest recline of about 75° (from horizontal).
    >This seat position is very similar to that of an Easy Racers
    >TE/GRR/TiGRR, and is very high and upright compared to most tadpole
    >trikes.

    the Tricruiser is quite high off the ground. You do not have to "climb" into
    and out of it. It has a fairly wide track but it is clearly not built for
    speed. It is more unstable at high speed then any other trike I've ever
    ridden. For going along at 10-12 MPH, on the other hand, it is perfect. With
    its huge rear rack, I would pile on a few folding chairs, a cooler,
    blankets, towels, etc. and pedal the whole works to a nearby pool during the
    summer. It was a great pack mule of a trike and for short commutes and local
    errands it was perfect.

    Jeff

  12. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:54:42 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On October 26, while riding home from the train station on my trike, I was
    >hit from behind by a car. The result was a broken back (T8) and a spinal
    >cord injury. I spent a total of one month in the hospital between the trauma
    >hospital and the rehab hospital. I have been home since the day before
    >Thanksgiving. At this point I am walking with a cane and can actually walk a
    >mile or two on good days. It isn't clear how much I'll get back but I
    >certainly should get back enough to be riding again.
    >
    >Pictures of the post-crash trike can be seen here:
    >
    >http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/crashedtrike.msnw
    >
    >Pictures of me in my back brace can be seen here:
    >
    >http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/superjef.msnw
    >
    >I teach a Sunday school class and when the accident occurred it was as if I
    >suddenly disappeared. I wanted to do something to let me kids know that I
    >was in good spirits and that I was recovering. That was the reason for
    >drawing the Superman logo on the back brace. It turned out to be a real mood
    >elevator for both the staff and the other patients in the rehab hospital.
    >The whole experience has turned me into a bit of a Superman collector
    >especially in the apparel department.
    >
    >The back brace has been off for over a month now and I am continuing to
    >slowly heal and improve.
    >
    >Jeff Grippe
    >White Plains, NY

    Hi Jeff. You have been missed on this forum.

    So sorry to learn of your accident. Were there any repercusions for
    the driver? I am gladdened to hear of the progress in your recovery
    and especially heartened to know that this has not caused you to give
    up cycling.

    Your old opponent, as you may have noticed, seems to be making an
    effort to control his more outrageous aspects, if only due to the
    limited number of targets remaining here on ARBR. His recent
    cross-posting campaign with RBM still reveals one of his favourite
    tactics, you know the one where he will engage a poster with one or
    two seemingly friendly missives and then fire off the venom.

    I like the 'S' logo on your brace. I keep a small Superman figure
    suspended between two water bottle cages mounted to the handlerbars on
    my Tour Easy. The figure I'm using was originally a Burger King
    give-away in their kid's meal, it came with a 'Daily Planet' building
    & is formed to balance atop the spire atop said structure, seeming to
    be caught mid-flight with only a strategically placed divot on the
    chin touching the spire. The building portion is on a shelf at home
    (along with a spare set).

    Another customization on my TE is a small round metal 'stealie'
    (Grateful Dead logo) on the front tube, below the 'Freedom California'
    decal.

    Hope you are riding again soon,

    Indiana Mike

  13. HH

    HH Guest

    "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "HH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> On October 26, while riding home from the train station on my trike, I
    >>> was hit from behind by a car. The result was a broken back (T8) and a
    >>> spinal cord injury. I spent a total of one month in the hospital between
    >>> the trauma hospital and the rehab hospital. I have been home since the
    >>> day before Thanksgiving. At this point I am walking with a cane and can
    >>> actually walk a mile or two on good days. It isn't clear how much I'll
    >>> get back but I certainly should get back enough to be riding again.
    >>>
    >>> Pictures of the post-crash trike can be seen here:
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/crashedtrike.msnw
    >>>
    >>> Pictures of me in my back brace can be seen here:
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/superjef.msnw
    >>>
    >>> I teach a Sunday school class and when the accident occurred it was as
    >>> if I suddenly disappeared. I wanted to do something to let me kids know
    >>> that I was in good spirits and that I was recovering. That was the
    >>> reason for drawing the Superman logo on the back brace. It turned out to
    >>> be a real mood elevator for both the staff and the other patients in the
    >>> rehab hospital. The whole experience has turned me into a bit of a
    >>> Superman collector especially in the apparel department.
    >>>
    >>> The back brace has been off for over a month now and I am continuing to
    >>> slowly heal and improve.
    >>>
    >>> Jeff Grippe
    >>> White Plains, NY
    >>>

    >> I'm sorry to hear this. It sounds to me as if you are lucky to be able
    >> to walk. I'm glad you making a good recovery.
    >>
    >> After looking at your trike photos I think I would take the "This Bike
    >> Fights Diabetes" sign off until the repairs are complete. As it looks
    >> now diabetes appears to have won the fight. ;-)
    >>
    >> I'm wondering after all this you've been through, if you still think
    >> trike commuting in NYC is worth it?
    >>

    > Worth it? When you put it that way it becomes a difficult question to
    > answer. On the one hand I don't want to let the cars win. On the other
    > hand it is really too long a trip for me to find a safe route. I'm
    > thinking of finding a "less traveled" route to the train station that
    > would give me between 5 and 10 miles each way.
    >
    > Jeff

    You don't want the cars to win? Seems to me that in a crash with a bike,
    trike, or motorcycle the odds of the car winning are more than overwhelming.
    Get real not killed.

    My advice is to find a safer way to work that will put odds of your survival
    more in your favor. From what I remember of NYC I didn't even feel safe
    taking a cab ride in that place.

  14. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    "HH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > You don't want the cars to win? Seems to me that in a crash with a bike,
    > trike, or motorcycle the odds of the car winning are more than
    > overwhelming. Get real not killed.
    >
    > My advice is to find a safer way to work that will put odds of your
    > survival more in your favor. From what I remember of NYC I didn't even
    > feel safe taking a cab ride in that place.

    You are certainly correct. If I give up commuting by bike/trike then my
    cycling activities will be limited to a few times per year and that is just
    not acceptable. On the other hand it isn't acceptable to get killed either.
    My current plan is to resume commuting to the train station by a route that
    is less traveled. It turns out that the route I had been using ("The
    official bike route") is in reality a disaster for cyclists.

    The places where they have chosen to put "Bike Route" signs in White Plains
    are among the most heavily trafficked road with many of them having no
    accommodation for bikes at all. The road I got hit on does have a bike lane
    but there are a few gaps. I got hit in one of them. 2-3 seconds more and I
    would have been safe in my bike lane.

    Jeff

  15. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    "Mike Rice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:54:42 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:

    > So sorry to learn of your accident. Were there any repercusions for
    > the driver? I am gladdened to hear of the progress in your recovery
    > and especially heartened to know that this has not caused you to give
    > up cycling.

    I think the only reprecusions for the driver of the car that hit me will be
    that her insurance rates will go up.

    > Your old opponent, as you may have noticed, seems to be making an
    > effort to control his more outrageous aspects, if only due to the
    > limited number of targets remaining here on ARBR. His recent
    > cross-posting campaign with RBM still reveals one of his favourite
    > tactics, you know the one where he will engage a poster with one or
    > two seemingly friendly missives and then fire off the venom.

    I never really thought of him as an opponent. I think that all points of
    view are important and deserve a voice. Generally I like people to be
    respectful and polite in tone but you don't always get everything you ask
    for. Regardless, I've pretty much always welcomed him.

    > I like the 'S' logo on your brace. I keep a small Superman figure
    > suspended between two water bottle cages mounted to the handlerbars on
    > my Tour Easy. The figure I'm using was originally a Burger King
    > give-away in their kid's meal, it came with a 'Daily Planet' building
    > & is formed to balance atop the spire atop said structure, seeming to
    > be caught mid-flight with only a strategically placed divot on the
    > chin touching the spire. The building portion is on a shelf at home
    > (along with a spare set).

    I've been buying a lot of Superman apparel lately. It keeps me goal oreinted
    and focused on what I want to become.

    > Hope you are riding again soon,

    Thanks for the good wishes. I'll be back as soon as I can.

    Jeff

  16. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    [...]
    > The places where they have chosen to put "Bike Route" signs in White
    > Plains are among the most heavily trafficked road with many of them having
    > no accommodation for bikes at all. The road I got hit on does have a bike
    > lane but there are a few gaps. I got hit in one of them. 2-3 seconds more
    > and I would have been safe in my bike lane.

    Bike lanes in heavily congested traffic corridors are not safe. Some idiot
    will always not see you. I would try to find safe residential streets on
    which to ride, whether they have bike lanes or not. For the ultimate in
    safety, you want a bike path of course.

    When traffic conditions get too bad I have been known to walk my bike on the
    sidewalk and think nothing of it.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  17. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    Edward Dolan Wrote:
    [...]
    >> Jeff, do you think you would have suffered the accident if you had not
    >> been so low on your trike. You had the kind of accident that all of us
    >> who ride low trikes have nightmares about.
    >>

    > The Tricruiser is not low at all. It is among the highest of tadpole
    > trikes. Go to
    >
    > www.americruiser.com
    >
    > Where there are both pictures and videos.
    >
    > If I had been on any other tadpole I think I would have been killed. The
    > heavy rear rack on the tricruiser took most of the impact and the fact
    > that the cruiser is so high, I'm sure, saved my life.

    I WILL go to a link when it has been introduced with intelligence and set up
    properly as is has been here by Jeff Grippe.

    Yes, the Tricruiser is sufficiently high so that was not the cause of the
    accident. All of my recumbent trikes are much lower. I do worry about
    drivers not seeing me, particularly in heavy traffic conditions.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  18. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Mike Rice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    [...]
    > Your old opponent, as you may have noticed, seems to be making an
    > effort to control his more outrageous aspects, if only due to the
    > limited number of targets remaining here on ARBR. His recent
    > cross-posting campaign with RBM still reveals one of his favourite
    > tactics, you know the one where he will engage a poster with one or
    > two seemingly friendly missives and then fire off the venom.

    It is never my plan to do as you suppose. It just happens that way. People
    say the most confounded stupid things to me in the course of a conversation.
    In real life I would let it pass of course, but Usenet is perfect for taking
    on such remarks and not getting punched in the nose.

    How did things go for you down in Florida? I have told my brother and my
    sister that I plan to precede them in death as I am not up to going to any
    funerals anymore. It is all I will be able to do to attend my own funeral.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan -Minnesota

  19. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > Edward Dolan Wrote:
    > [...]
    >>> Jeff, do you think you would have suffered the accident if you had not
    >>> been so low on your trike. You had the kind of accident that all of us
    >>> who ride low trikes have nightmares about.
    >>>

    >> The Tricruiser is not low at all. It is among the highest of tadpole
    >> trikes. Go to
    >>
    >> www.americruiser.com
    >>
    >> Where there are both pictures and videos.
    >>
    >> If I had been on any other tadpole I think I would have been killed. The
    >> heavy rear rack on the tricruiser took most of the impact and the fact
    >> that the cruiser is so high, I'm sure, saved my life.

    > I WILL go to a link when it has been introduced with intelligence and set
    > up properly as is has been here by Jeff Grippe.
    >
    > Yes, the Tricruiser is sufficiently high so that was not the cause of the
    > accident. All of my recumbent trikes are much lower. I do worry about
    > drivers not seeing me, particularly in heavy traffic conditions.

    The accident did occur at night and although I had a blinky light, she does
    claim to have not seen me. Here is my best guess as to what happened. Since
    it all happened behind me, however, I really have no way of knowing for
    sure.

    The road that I was on has two lanes. I was stopped at a light and I was in
    front of the cars. About 50 yards past the light, the bike lane begins. When
    there is no bike lane, I always take the car lane because I don't want
    someone to sideswipe me thinking that they can get around me. When the light
    was red, I was in front of the cars. The first few cars behind me could
    clearly see me. When the light turned green we all took off. The cars that
    were behind me moved into the left hand lane to get around me. I estimate
    she was four or five cars back. Her error in judgment was in not realizing
    that people were moving into the left hand lane to get around a slow moving
    obstacle in the right hand lane (me). I think she saw a lane magically open
    up and hit the gas. By the time she realized that there was something in the
    lane, she was already on top of me. No other explanation makes such sense to
    me.

    When I got hit I was already beginning to get into the bike lane. A few
    seconds more and I would have been safe. Life is like that sometimes.

    Regarding the Tricrusier: It is quite high. Sid Gowdy, the builder, is a
    very nice guy and quite easy to work with. I can't say enough good things
    about him or his trike. It was a great trike for local rides and short
    trips. He was able to gear it low enough that I was able to climb up just
    about anything. 24/34/44 in the front with 12-28 in the back.

    Jeff

    Jeff

  20. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Edward Dolan Wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>>>

    >>> The Tricruiser is not low at all. It is among the highest of tadpole
    >>> trikes. Go to
    >>>
    >>> www.americruiser.com
    >>>
    >>> Where there are both pictures and videos.
    >>>
    >>> If I had been on any other tadpole I think I would have been killed. The
    >>> heavy rear rack on the tricruiser took most of the impact and the fact
    >>> that the cruiser is so high, I'm sure, saved my life.

    >> I WILL go to a link when it has been introduced with intelligence and set
    >> up properly as it has been here by Jeff Grippe.
    >>
    >> Yes, the Tricruiser is sufficiently high so that was not the cause of the
    >> accident. All of my recumbent trikes are much lower. I do worry about
    >> drivers not seeing me, particularly in heavy traffic conditions.
    >>

    > The accident did occur at night and although I had a blinky light, she
    > does claim to have not seen me. Here is my best guess as to what happened.
    > Since it all happened behind me, however, I really have no way of knowing
    > for sure.
    >
    > The road that I was on has two lanes. I was stopped at a light and I was
    > in front of the cars. About 50 yards past the light, the bike lane begins.
    > When there is no bike lane, I always take the car lane because I don't
    > want someone to sideswipe me thinking that they can get around me. When
    > the light was red, I was in front of the cars. The first few cars behind
    > me could clearly see me. When the light turned green we all took off. The
    > cars that were behind me moved into the left hand lane to get around me. I
    > estimate she was four or five cars back. Her error in judgment was in not
    > realizing that people were moving into the left hand lane to get around a
    > slow moving obstacle in the right hand lane (me). I think she saw a lane
    > magically open up and hit the gas. By the time she realized that there was
    > something in the lane, she was already on top of me. No other explanation
    > makes such sense to me.

    Yes, I think you have got it exactly right. The danger is not from the
    driver immediately behind you, but from the other drivers further back who
    can't figure out what is delaying traffic. Your best bet would have been to
    go on the sidewalk at that stop since you did not have a bike lane or a
    shoulder and the traffic was heavy.

    > When I got hit I was already beginning to get into the bike lane. A few
    > seconds more and I would have been safe. Life is like that sometimes.
    >
    > Regarding the Tricrusier: It is quite high. Sid Gowdy, the builder, is a
    > very nice guy and quite easy to work with. I can't say enough good things
    > about him or his trike. It was a great trike for local rides and short
    > trips. He was able to gear it low enough that I was able to climb up just
    > about anything. 24/34/44 in the front with 12-28 in the back.

    I recall seeing a trike like this many years ago, but it was not called a
    Tricruiser. It is amazing how certain trikes stay around forever, constantly
    changing their brand names.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka