I couldn't resist.

leslierc8853

Sep 11, 2004
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread asking whether anyone had any experiences with the Specialized Tarmac Comp because I had ordered one from my LBS. I didn't receive any responses, but that was OK because the bike I really wanted was the S-Works Tarmac and on the day after Christmas that's exactly what I got myself (with Dura-Ace components). The weather forcast for the weekend is for temperatures in the mid-50s and I intend to ride the paint off this bike. I'll write back with first impressions.

I saw one today at my local shop and just drooled. My wife says I can get one if I start earning money riding. So...Gotta go and hit the trainer.

sgort2000 said:
I saw one today at my local shop and just drooled. My wife says I can get one if I start earning money riding. So...Gotta go and hit the trainer.
I ordered Time Impact road pedals for the Tarmac and they should arrive today. I chose those pedals because I'm already using Time Impacts for my other bikes. I'm in the office today gathering work to take home so that I can work from home tomorrow (temperatures are supposed to be in the 60s). I think I'll be finished working early tomorrow!

leslierc8853 said:
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread asking whether anyone had any experiences with the Specialized Tarmac Comp because I had ordered one from my LBS. I didn't receive any responses, but that was OK because the bike I really wanted was the S-Works Tarmac and on the day after Christmas that's exactly what I got myself (with Dura-Ace components). The weather forcast for the weekend is for temperatures in the mid-50s and I intend to ride the paint off this bike. I'll write back with first impressions.

The temperature is in the 60s, so I did about 10 miles on the bike this morning (I didn't feel up to going further because I'm recovering from a sinus condition). Here are my early impressions of the S-Works Tarmac:

The bike is very solid. I hit a few seams in the road and the bike rode them without so much as a rattle. What was really cool about this ride was that it was so quiet that I could hear the wind going through my helmet - a couple of times I thought the sound came from an approaching car, but it was just wind noise traveling through my helmet. The bike is fast and light. I hit a few hills and it was honestly like traveling along a straight-away. A couple of times a good cross-wind came up to meet me and reminded me of how light this bike is - a brief "sailing" feeling, but that was it. The Dura-Ace components appear to be a perfect match for this bike. Shifing was responsive and silky-smooth. [I liked the Dura-Ace so much that I am thinking of switching-out the Ultegra components on my Kestrel Talon for Dura-Ace ones this Spring. We'll see. There was a bit of a scary moment going down a twisting hill - I wanted to see how the bike handled speed, but I didn't push it because I began to feel the lightness of the bike. This is not a complaint; I think it's an issue of my becoming more familiar with the bike. In summary, I think I'm going to love this relationship.