I couldn't ride a city bus anymore!

The last time I stepped into a city bus, it drove me bored and crazy
that I wanted to get out of this bus as soon as possible. I used to
commute with a bike for same path now I tried
City bus. I couldn't stand the slow and boring bus. I guess
I couldn't stand a bus that stop and wait at every block. I wonder
how I used to ride the same city bus when I was in grammar school.
Now I'm a biker that I couldn't go city bus any more. moreover, I can
go faster with my bike than a city bus. I think that I've became a true
biker not like those NASCAR bikers who rides for leisure and sport
activity.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The last time I stepped into a city bus, it drove me bored and crazy
> that I wanted to get out of this bus as soon as possible. I used to
> commute with a bike for same path now I tried
> City bus. I couldn't stand the slow and boring bus. I guess
> I couldn't stand a bus that stop and wait at every block. I wonder
> how I used to ride the same city bus when I was in grammar school.
> Now I'm a biker that I couldn't go city bus any more. moreover, I can
> go faster with my bike than a city bus. I think that I've became a true
> biker not like those NASCAR bikers who rides for leisure and sport
> activity.

i feel like that on the bus too. i'm always thinking i wish i was outside on
my bike. today i beat the #5 from greenwood to downtown!
ag

"alan" <.@.> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> i feel like that on the bus too. i'm always thinking i wish i was outside

on
> my bike. today i beat the #5 from greenwood to downtown!

Beating the #5 shouldn't be that hard, depending on the traffic on Aurora.
What was your route -- Dexter?

Bikes easily have the advantage on city streets, but when the bus goes on a
freeway diamond lane, it's faster. I've found the fastest way from downtown
to Wallingford, Ravenna, etc. is to ride out to Convention Center station,
load the bike on an express in the 70s series (71, 72, etc.) zip out to the
UW, and then ride the rest of the way. Faster than a car, because you don't
have downtown parking issues or I-5 traffic. Faster than the bus, because
once you get off the freeway, you're free to pedal. Faster than biking the
whole thing, because you're on the express lanes for a major portion of the
trip.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

> "alan" <.@.> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

snip>
> Beating the #5 shouldn't be that hard, depending on the traffic on Aurora.
> What was your route -- Dexter?

aroura is the 358 i wouldn't ride there. the #5 goes down greenwood ave,
then phinney then fremont, only aurora from the bridge to denny w/ few
stops. i often race it (so we dont leap frog all along phinney) and im
pretty fast on a good day (flat avg low 20's). if i can beat it on a weekend
it's a good day (i only know if i see bus at the downtown end).
ya dexter's the safest route. there's a bike lane from 85th down greenwood
ave it's very bumpy but pretty safe just getting tired of doors opening
across my lane by local (transplants? californians?) people who could have
walked, fremont hill, fremont bridge is bad for bikes but it's really old
and cant be modified, then up dexter. i usually see other bikes on dexter
(startled one last night at 12:30am). then up 7th under the conv cetner and
up to the salt mine called harborview. i really like this downtown route
because it's no too crowded and i can take a lane with ease.
one thing i have noticed from riding the bus less is getting sick less.
-alan

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:08:50 GMT, <[email protected]>,
Little Meow <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Hi Red Cloud!
>>>How is Switzerland?

>> Their buses are slow.

>So is RC.

Then with any luck, their paths should eventually cross.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:

> I think that I've became a true
> biker not like those NASCAR bikers who rides for leisure and sport
> activity.

'Bikers' ride motorcycles.

[Bi]cyclists ride bicycles.

You're still very pedestrian.

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

<snip>

> Now I'm a biker that I couldn't go city bus any more. moreover, I can
> go faster with my bike than a city bus.

You haven't seen slow public transit until you've seen the Santa Clara
Valley (Silicon Valley) light rail system.

It was designed to encourage people to visit downtown, not to get them
to work. It follows a torturous route from the southern suburbs, through
downtown at 3MPH, then on to the industrial area in the north part of
the city. Much of the line is at street level with traffic lights and
crossings. They think riders are too stupid to be able to get on the
right train for destination where the line splits, so EVERYONE must get
off and change trains. The new spur lines are all single-track to save
money.

They allow bicycles on the trains, but you'd have to be crazy to take
advantage of that unless it's really bad weather, or unless you're using
the section that goes up the freeway median, which is pretty fast.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> The last time I stepped into a city bus, it drove me bored and crazy
> that I wanted to get out of this bus as soon as possible.

I'm in a terrible situation: an express bus that goes basically
from my back door to work in about 28 minutes and I can get
reading done on the ride. The bike ride is 30-35, depending, good
exercise. Both options are good, but once it gets below
about 0C it's hard to talk myself into the bike ride any more.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley ([email protected] * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)

: >
: >>Hi Red Cloud!
: >>How is Switzerland?
: >
: > Their buses are slow.

: So is RC.

All of a sudden he learned to spell and write a complete sentence, didn't
he?

Pat in TX

>The last time I stepped into a city bus, it drove me bored and crazy
>that I wanted to get out of this bus as soon as possible. I used to
>commute with a bike for same path now I tried
>City bus. I couldn't stand the slow and boring bus. I guess
>I couldn't stand a bus that stop and wait at every block.

Yeah...it can take a long time to go a short distance on some buses.