I despair

On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:09:57 +0100, Al C-F
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>> I try to end each lesson with a
>> 15 minute tour of the local area, and my series of lessons includes a
>> 3 hour bike ride, crossing the Thames twice.

>Then you're teaching to a different syllabus from me.

I expect it's the same syllabus, just a different form of delivery.

My lesson plans are now online at my new and clunky website:

www.johnballcycling.org.uk

The form of my delivery is this:

Lesson 1 - 2 hours, basic control skills, Level 1B
Lesson 2 - 2 hours, manoeuvering, Level 1B
Lesson 3 - 2 hours, on-road journeys, Level 2
Lesson 4 - 2 hours, junctions, Level 2
Lesson 5 - 3 hours, road knowledge, Level 2
Lesson 6 - 2 hours, removing a wheel and puncture repair
Lesson 7 - 2 hours, roundabouts, Level 3
Lesson 8 - 2 hours, traffic lights, Level 3
Lesson 9 - 2 hours, busy roads, Level 3
Lesson 10 - 2 hours, cycling at night

Once fully established, there will usually be a two year gap between
teaching Level 1B and Level 2 and a two year gap between teaching
Level 2 and Level 3. I am currently reviewing my delivery of Level 3
and am considering extending it from 3 lessons and a night time ride
to 5 lessons and a night time ride.

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:09:57 +0100, Al C-F
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Tom Crispin wrote:
> >> I try to end each lesson with a
> >> 15 minute tour of the local area, and my series of lessons includes a
> >> 3 hour bike ride, crossing the Thames twice.

> >Then you're teaching to a different syllabus from me.

> I expect it's the same syllabus, just a different form of delivery.
>
> My lesson plans are now online at my new and clunky website:

Thanks for those. My kids school doesn't appear to have any form of
cycle training. In fact, in the latest newsletter they reminded parents
that kids should not bring bikes to school as there is no storage. Cue
a letter I must write..

So I have been taking Rachel out to do some level 2 stuff with her.
Practice in the park then off to the minor roads (where the photo was
taken). There are some things I take for granted which your lesson
plans reminded me to teach explicitly (e.g. passing side roads.) A
motorcyclist was getting exactly the same treatment from an instructor
at the same time.. acknowledgement all round.

...d

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:09:57 +0100, Al C-F
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Tom Crispin wrote:
>>
>>>I try to end each lesson with a
>>>15 minute tour of the local area, and my series of lessons includes a
>>>3 hour bike ride, crossing the Thames twice.

>>Then you're teaching to a different syllabus from me.

> I expect it's the same syllabus, just a different form of delivery.
>
> My lesson plans are now online at my new and clunky website:
>
> www.johnballcycling.org.uk
>
> The form of my delivery is this:
>
> Lesson 1 - 2 hours, basic control skills, Level 1B
> Lesson 2 - 2 hours, manoeuvering, Level 1B
> Lesson 3 - 2 hours, on-road journeys, Level 2
> Lesson 4 - 2 hours, junctions, Level 2
> Lesson 5 - 3 hours, road knowledge, Level 2
> Lesson 6 - 2 hours, removing a wheel and puncture repair
> Lesson 7 - 2 hours, roundabouts, Level 3
> Lesson 8 - 2 hours, traffic lights, Level 3
> Lesson 9 - 2 hours, busy roads, Level 3
> Lesson 10 - 2 hours, cycling at night

Thanks, but HCC do 8 x 1hr lessons, 4 in the playground followed by 4
on-road.

On Thu, 25 May 2006 09:10:39 +0100, Al C-F
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:09:57 +0100, Al C-F
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Then you're teaching to a different syllabus from me.

>> I expect it's the same syllabus, just a different form of delivery.
>>
>> My lesson plans are now online at my new and clunky website:
>>
>> www.johnballcycling.org.uk
>>
>> The form of my delivery is this:
>>
>> Lesson 1 - 2 hours, basic control skills, Level 1B
>> Lesson 2 - 2 hours, manoeuvering, Level 1B
>> Lesson 3 - 2 hours, on-road journeys, Level 2
>> Lesson 4 - 2 hours, junctions, Level 2
>> Lesson 5 - 3 hours, road knowledge, Level 2
>> Lesson 6 - 2 hours, removing a wheel and puncture repair
>> Lesson 7 - 2 hours, roundabouts, Level 3
>> Lesson 8 - 2 hours, traffic lights, Level 3
>> Lesson 9 - 2 hours, busy roads, Level 3
>> Lesson 10 - 2 hours, cycling at night
>>

>Thanks, but HCC do 8 x 1hr lessons, 4 in the playground followed by 4
>on-road.

That's broadly comparable to my first four lessons. The 3 hour ride
is really a consolidation of the learning, and lesson 6 is there in
case of very poor weather.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> On Thu, 25 May 2006 09:10:39 +0100, Al C-F
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> The form of my delivery is this:
> >>
> >> Lesson 1 - 2 hours, basic control skills, Level 1B
> >> Lesson 2 - 2 hours, manoeuvering, Level 1B
> >> Lesson 3 - 2 hours, on-road journeys, Level 2
> >> Lesson 4 - 2 hours, junctions, Level 2
> >> Lesson 5 - 3 hours, road knowledge, Level 2
> >> Lesson 6 - 2 hours, removing a wheel and puncture repair
> >> Lesson 7 - 2 hours, roundabouts, Level 3
> >> Lesson 8 - 2 hours, traffic lights, Level 3
> >> Lesson 9 - 2 hours, busy roads, Level 3
> >> Lesson 10 - 2 hours, cycling at night
> >>

> >Thanks, but HCC do 8 x 1hr lessons, 4 in the playground followed by 4
> >on-road.

> That's broadly comparable to my first four lessons.

I rate the full HCC course and equivalent to Level 1, plus maybe just a
little more.

The main differences are that it does not aim at requiring the trainee to
work situations out (it is very formulaic); it ignores primary and secondary
road positioning - critical for safe riding, and has an emphasis on keeping
in to the left. Neither does it take trainees into real traffic situations,
for example roundabouts and traffic lights only get a mention but no
practical content.

It is a reasonable introduction, but no more.
As a result, IMO the course falls short of preparing a trainee for
undertaking a road journey, a comment received from several parents.

John B

Al C-F wrote:

> John B wrote:
>
> > I still don't understand why you say this would be 'counter-productive'. What
> > harm can it actually do?

> OK. When I am riding, I control the traffic. The children need to be
> able to do this for themselves - my presence stops them from doing this.

I believe they need to be shown and then led through various road situations,
discussing all the various considerations. As they become more confident and gain the
awareness/anticipation skills required, the instructor can back off. Eventually the
trainee can carry out the manoeuvres themselves.
I think that is far better than standing by the roadside telling them what to do -
from a distance.

> > Another advantage of having a cycle is that an instructor can also demonstrate
> > the various manoevres, rather than having to rely on diagrams and a verbal
> > explanation.

> Diagrams, explanation, playground mock-up. Practise and practise.

The playground is a *very* different environment to the road, where every vehicle can
create a different scenario to deal with.

> > I understand one HCC instructor could not even ride a bike themselves :-(

> There's always one. But an instructor who taught children to 'stay out
> of the way of the traffic' would cause me more concern.

You've heard then. A parent recently told me about a teacher who took a group out on a
HCC training session, who told all the trainees to get off the road everytime a car
approached.
It was close to your area.

> >>So what's your answer?

> > National Standard training.

> I shall be skiving off work early to give
> the course. Much more commitment and I run the risk of being found out!

Good luck. Make sure you hide the cones and block of chalk well ;-)

> There are two things they need to know to ride to school here - stay out
> of the door zone, and control the traffic at the pinch points.

I hope you will be covering use of all the cycle lanes and cycle routes ;-)

> > BTW, what school are you 'attached' to?

> Let's just say I'm in Hedge End.

I train quite a few children and groups in the area, including from the main primary
school.

i hope you enjoy the training , and I wish you well with it.

John B

On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:29:02 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>It is a reasonable introduction, but no more.
>As a result, IMO the course falls short of preparing a trainee for
>undertaking a road journey, a comment received from several parents.

Would an additional 3 hours make the difference?

I'm pretty satisfied with the Level 1B/2 training I offer, as are the
parents. Of course it makes a huge difference that I'm a teacher and
know the children and parents very well.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:29:02 +0100, John B <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >It is a reasonable introduction, but no more.
> >As a result, IMO the course falls short of preparing a trainee for
> >undertaking a road journey, a comment received from several parents.

> Would an additional 3 hours make the difference?

I don't think so.
The many restrictions placed on a HCC 'instructor' would need to be
removed, and the course would have to be fully re-written to comply with
the NS, and for various reasons I can't see that happening.

John B

John B wrote:

> Al C-F wrote:
>

>>John B wrote:
>>

> The playground is a *very* different environment to the road, where every vehicle can
> create a different scenario to deal with.

That's true. We have loads of quiet estate roads peppered with chicanes
and speed humps that they can practise on - I will be suggesting that
they start there and gradually approach the busier roads.

>>>I understand one HCC instructor could not even ride a bike themselves :-(

>>There's always one. But an instructor who taught children to 'stay out
>>of the way of the traffic' would cause me more concern.

> You've heard then. A parent recently told me about a teacher who took a group out on a
> HCC training session, who told all the trainees to get off the road everytime a car
> approached.
> It was close to your area.

I hadn't heard. Was that a general instruction, or just during the
training?

>>There are two things they need to know to ride to school here - stay out
>>of the door zone, and control the traffic at the pinch points.

> I hope you will be covering use of all the cycle lanes and cycle routes ;-)

Oh yes. A couple of years ago, I was pulled over by local plod for
cycling too far out. A long communication with the local idiot police
inspector ensued. Perhaps I ought to encourage the questioning of
authority...

> i hope you enjoy the training , and I wish you well with it.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.

John B wrote:

> Al C-F wrote:
>
>>Let's just say I'm in Hedge End.

> I train quite a few children and groups in the area, including from the main primary
> school.

I didn't realise you were that local. My e-mail address should work -
drop me a line if you're in the area & we can go for a pint. (Better
tell me here that you've done it though).

Al C-F wrote:

> John B wrote:
>
> > You've heard then. A parent recently told me about a teacher who took a group out on a
> > HCC training session, who told all the trainees to get off the road everytime a car
> > approached.
> > It was close to your area.

> I hadn't heard. Was that a general instruction, or just during the
> training?

Apparently it was in the road session of the training. The parent was not impressed and has
since put her children through NS training.

John B

Al C-F wrote:

> John B wrote:
> >
> > Al C-F wrote:
> >
> >>Let's just say I'm in Hedge End.

> > I train quite a few children and groups in the area, including from the main primary
> > school.

> I didn't realise you were that local. My e-mail address should work -
> drop me a line if you're in the area & we can go for a pint. (Better
> tell me here that you've done it though).

I'm not *that* local, but I get around the County a lot. We often help where HCC does not
deliver training - give my regards to Peter C if you see him.
Earlier this week we were training in Hedge End 9and there is more planned), while
tomorrow there is training close by in Bishop's Waltham.

I'll be in touch.
i like the idea of a pint :)

John B
http://www.hampshirecycletraining.org.uk/