I did a silly thing yesterday!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ianb, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. Ianb

    Ianb Guest

    Sunday, got up late, not enough time to do Breakfast & get to Club meet so got on with breakfast. Oh
    yes there is enough time, I've got 30 mins. to sort myself out & it only takes 20 to get to the
    start. Quick change into cycling trouser, grab phone & map, get padlock from other bike & stuff them
    all into the saddlebag, run indoors to grab waterbottle and the new strip of patches and stow them
    away I am now a minute into my 20mins ride time so rush it a bit & do it in 18 mins so they are
    still there!. I was only intending to go as far as elevenses but our leader changed his plans when
    we started getting lots of icy roads and I decided to go my own way. Riding on ice is one thing,
    riding with a group on ice can be a bit hairy and twice my bike had gone sideways when remounting
    after a walked section. Joined a cycle path, this involves a tight left hand "u" turn onto slushy
    pavement so get off for this bit. Remounted ok, started & came off. Walked past the icy bit &
    restarted ok, saw brake lever had been pushed out of position but ground now firm enough for me to
    fix it without stopping. Rather a patchy path, good fast wet, then rough iced slush but I was making
    fair progress. After about a mile a bramble snatches my hat off, so stop to recover it, decide hat &
    gloves ought to be in bag anyway, BAG IS OPEN! NO MAP, NO PHONE, NO LOCK! PANIC I check my bag 3
    times then retrace my route go back a couple of miles, did I really put the map & phone in the bag
    or did I leave them behind in the rush? Returned to the cycle path, not so icy now & go home.
    "They've been found" was the greeting I got! A jogger found them at the point where I came off &
    managed to work my phone to call my home number! Now I ALWAYS do my bag up and I always leave my
    phone with keyboard lock set and it switched off so it seems I forgot to do all 3 of these. Belated
    New Years resolution, triple check that my bag is done up. Carry the phone with the keyboard not
    locked (mine needs an unlock code)
    --
    IanB

    swap my names around to reply to me

    Tags:

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "IanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > to recover it, decide hat & gloves ought to be in bag anyway, BAG IS OPEN! NO MAP, NO PHONE, NO
    > LOCK! PANIC I check my bag 3 times then retrace my route go back a couple of
    miles,
    > did I really put the map & phone in the bag or did I leave them behind in the rush? Returned to
    > the cycle path, not so icy now & go home.

    I know the panic ... convinced you're sure you had it with you, but more often to not, you have just
    forgotten it. A friend left his bumbag at the bottom of a very large hill/mountain in mid-Wales, and
    had to cycle up again to pick it up.

    > "They've been found" was the greeting I got! A jogger found them at the point where I came off
    > & managed to work my phone to call my home number!

    Nice to come across true honesty ... was it an old mobile?!

    > Now I ALWAYS do my bag up and I always leave my phone with keyboard
    lock
    > set and it switched off so it seems I forgot to do all 3 of these. Belated New Years resolution,
    > triple check that my bag is done up. Carry the phone with the keyboard not locked (mine needs an
    > unlock code)

    Last one, especially, yes. I can imagine numerous scenarioes where it's best to leave it just
    keylocked. If wasn't at home, then I bet you'd have cancelled it straight away, and you *knew* what
    a pain that would be ... !