i did it!!!!!!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by unijuggler, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. unijuggler

    unijuggler Guest

    ::i did it!!!!!!! i finally rode than 50 feet :: :D :D :D

    one more question--- the cranks hit my ankles does this happen to
    anybody else??? :confused: :confused:

    --
    unijuggler - TOTAL NEWBIE

    i should have eaten my wheaties

    unijuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7513

  2. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    oh yay. that always makes you happy, doesn't it? For a few minutes, life
    is good :)

    --
    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  3. spyder

    spyder Guest

    unijuggler wrote:
    > *the cranks hit my ankles does this happen to anybody else???
    > :confused: :confused: *

    Your feet are probably to close to the cranks. When your feet are on the
    pedals, you should be able to see a slight bit of pedal on the inside.
    Understand?

    The first 50 feet is always the hardest. There's nothing stopping you
    now! Congats.

    --
    spyder - Bubbles

    There are no stupid questions,
    Just stupid people.
    spyder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4190

  4. n9jcv

    n9jcv Guest

  5. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    ...and don't forget to practice your free-mounts!

    Free-mounts allow you to go wherever you want. You'll thank yourself
    later.

    --
    steveyo - new old guy

    steveyo

    I complained I needed new shoes, till I met a man with no feet.

  6. unijuggler

    unijuggler Guest

    yeh one of the only times i tried freemounting to day i pitched forward
    and landed on my arm... it still hurts. But i can freemount like 15% of
    the time woohoo!!

    --
    unijuggler - TOTAL NEWBIE

    i should have eaten my wheaties

    unijuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7513

  7. unijuggler

    unijuggler Guest

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    unijuggler wrote:
    > *one more question--- the cranks hit my ankles does this happen to
    > anybody else??? :confused: :confused: *

    That is a common problem for people who are in the process of learning
    or who have just recently learned. Once you get better you'll learn how
    to keep your ankles away from the cranks.

    For now you can get some ankle protection. High top basketball shoes
    can work. Some soccer shin guards come with separate ankle guards.
    Unicycle.com sells the '661 Ankle Biters'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=533). A local bike
    shop in your area should also have the 661 Ankle Biters. Fox also makes
    a similar ankle guard.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  9. gasmaster

    gasmaster Guest

    da best thing to do is to use it as a learning experience. 2 or 3 times,
    and yer probably not gonna make the mistake again any time soon. but, if
    yer not tuff, just buy some soccer shinguards.

    --
    gasmaster - level 4 unicyclist

    Real men only need 1 wheel.
    gasmaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6713

  10. GILD

    GILD Guest

    probably the easiest 'fix' is to make sure that your feet are 'straight'
    on the pedals (parrallel to the cranks) when u get on
    this only counts in assisted mounts as, esp at first, u'll take any
    footplacing u can get with a freemount
    u will get better at this but if u're likely to have lil' marks on that
    anklebone for a long, long time

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser and Time-bider

    If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
    -- Alice 'Roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) Longworth
    I'm going to memorize your name and throw my head away.
    -- Oscar Levant

    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  11. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    gasmaster wrote:
    > *if yer not tuff, just buy some soccer shinguards. *

    this should read: if you're smart, buy some shinguards

    sure, scars are cool, but riding the uni can be a pain-free experience
    with proper body armor. the new fox north shore leg pads are
    super-sweet... they're wrap-around for 360 degrees of pedal-bite
    protection.

    plus, with enough armor, you'd stand a _way_ better chance in a mosh pit
    or a riot.

    --
    maestro8 - Mad Scientists for World Domination

  12. unixtc

    unixtc Guest

    Be careful of the freemount and falling forward thing! I broke my am
    doing that and I should have been wearing wrist guards!

    Buy a set of wrist guards and keep them on till you get the freemounting
    thing down. Or try a different kind of mount.

    The static mount had me on my hands many times and it only took once to
    break a wrist!

    --
    unixtc - Sit on the seat!
    unixtc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8030