I did it!

dot

Apr 28, 2003
Two skiing supermarathons in one week on my first serious skiing season!
On Tuesday I did 100 km marathon. It was snowing on Monday so the race trail was very soft and very very hard to ride for a heavy rider (i.e. for me). 60% of participants did not finish. I recovered from this marathon very quickly and decided to do another 60 km one on Sunday. It was heavy snowing again on Saturday night so the race trail was absolute mash, especially on climbs. A lot of people retired again but I finished it too. It's wonder I did them both. I just want to say that skiing is much harder than MTB racing (on the same trails) for me let alone road cycling. Skiing is very interesting, very complicated and challenging kind of endurance sport. It's pity most of you have no possibilities to spend enough time skiing :D

dot said:
Two skiing supermarathons in one week on my first serious skiing season!
On Tuesday I did 100 km marathon. It was snowing on Monday so the race trail was very soft and very very hard to ride for a heavy rider (i.e. for me). 60% of participants did not finish. I recovered from this marathon very quickly and decided to do another 60 km one on Sunday. It was heavy snowing again on Saturday night so the race trail was absolute mash, especially on climbs. A lot of people retired again but I finished it too. It's wonder I did them both. I just want to say that skiing is much harder than MTB racing (on the same trails) for me let alone road cycling. Skiing is very interesting, very complicated and challenging kind of endurance sport. It's pity most of you have no possibilities to spend enough time skiing :D

Congrats. I agree cross country skiing is amazing for both fitness and challenge. Fun too. Really hasnt snowed enough to leave a solid ski base for cross country in this area for quite a few years now. It usually snows and simply melts or turns into mush. Years back I used to get out and cross country at least 5-10 times a year. Now I simply cheer when snow melts. :D Have fun though. I'm certain its excellent cross training.

Too cool!!

You're in great shape to recover from a 100 to do a 60, the XC MTB season should be good for you too. I used to race the Loppit series in B.C. and do Ironman Triathlons in the summer. I even won a Biathlon (shooting and Skiing) the day after a 40 km race. No snow on the coast this year for the first time in memory. Were you skating! That was my favorite.
Dave

stang106 said:
Too cool!!

You're in great shape to recover from a 100 to do a 60, the XC MTB season should be good for you too. I used to race the Loppit series in B.C. and do Ironman Triathlons in the summer. I even won a Biathlon (shooting and Skiing) the day after a 40 km race. No snow on the coast this year for the first time in memory. Were you skating! That was my favorite.
Dave

Yes, there were skating marathons. I don't like classic techinique.
The winter here this year is great. It started in mid-november and it's still snowing. I usually hit the road on a bike mid-March but now it's still -5/-10 centrigrade and forecast is no good till April. 2 years ago winter was the same. I saw skiers in parks in April! Where is this notorious global warming? Does anybody know? I don't want to be a skier! ;)