i donated blood and now...



fordguru

New Member
Apr 15, 2009
36
0
0
i donated blood tuesday and rode today first time. everything felt harder for sure. legs started burning earlier and hr was up. has anyone else went through this? wondering how long till i am back 100%?
 

jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,605
337
83
A normal person's body should replace the blood within 2-3 days.
Of course metabolism, nutrition,sleep patterns and bone marrow differ in each individual.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
2
0
fordguru said:
i donated blood tuesday and rode today first time. everything felt harder for sure. legs started burning earlier and hr was up. has anyone else went through this? wondering how long till i am back 100%?

Your LBS (local blood sucker) should have instructed you that this is normal and that you should avoid strenuous activity for a couple days after giving blood. Extra hydration to replace lost fluid volume will help speed the recovery process.
 

jollyrogers

New Member
Aug 25, 2009
169
0
0
fordguru said:
i donated blood tuesday and rode today first time. everything felt harder for sure. legs started burning earlier and hr was up. has anyone else went through this? wondering how long till i am back 100%?

IIRC, it's 90% return of volume in 4 days, 100% in 4 weeks. Naval Aviation uses the following if a pilot donates blood:

-no fly for 4 days
-no fly to the ship for 4 weeks
 

fordguru

New Member
Apr 15, 2009
36
0
0
very usefull information guys!! thanks alot:D

in saying that i am sorta bummed i have hurt my performace for the most important month in my training. :confused: my fault for not checking first.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
2
0
Yeah, this is the time of year that many serious cyclists are putting extra blood in. ;)
 

taricha

New Member
Aug 20, 2009
42
0
0
fordguru said:
very usefull information guys!! thanks alot:D

in saying that i am sorta bummed i have hurt my performace for the most important month in my training. :confused: my fault for not checking first.

Don't worry too much about it. Don't do anything too intense for the 3-4 day period mentioned, then get back to training.

Of the 9 or so physiological adaptations you want for better cycling endurance, you've only set yourself back on blood plasma volume. You haven't hurt your cardiac stroke volume, muscle capillarization, mitochondrial enzymes etc, and you can continue to improve all of those as your body replaces what you donated.
Don't be shocked if you are back and better in less than the 4 wks.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
2
0
Plasma volume comes back very quickly, it's the O2 transport capacity that takes a while to replenish.
 

taricha

New Member
Aug 20, 2009
42
0
0
frenchyge said:
Plasma volume comes back very quickly, it's the O2 transport capacity that takes a while to replenish.

By which you mean actual number of red blood cells?
 

fordguru

New Member
Apr 15, 2009
36
0
0
more good info... thanks

i rode today and felt good going on day 4 until the end at mile 65 i started getting light headed. i will continue to train at a modest level for the next 2 weeks maybe.

when the pros get caught doping (epo) isnt that injecting more red blood cells for perfomance boost? if thats the case i did the opposite correct?

thanks jason
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
110
63
fordguru said:
i donated blood tuesday and rode today first time. everything felt harder for sure. legs started burning earlier and hr was up. has anyone else went through this? wondering how long till i am back 100%?

You didn't put the blood that you donated into a fridge in Girona by any chance?:D:D

Good stuff it's great to see people donating.
I try to do so every couple of months.
Blood donations save lives.

Well done.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
2
0
taricha said:
By which you mean actual number of red blood cells?

Correct. Plasma donations can be made twice in a 7 day period, whereas whole blood (including the RBCs and platelets) donations are limited to once every 8 weeks.

fordguru said:
when the pros get caught doping (epo) isnt that injecting more red blood cells for perfomance boost? if thats the case i did the opposite correct?

Blood doping is adding more RBCs, but that's not the same as EPO. Yes, you did just the opposite, effectively thinning your blood until the RBC count comes back up.
 

jsirabella

New Member
Jan 1, 2005
1,715
3
0
56
frenchyge said:
Your LBS (local blood sucker) should have instructed you that this is normal and that you should avoid strenuous activity for a couple days after giving blood. Extra hydration to replace lost fluid volume will help speed the recovery process.

Unless you are like me and you are usually have a reading of 18 to high as a 20 on some tests. Lately it has come down to 16. I give blood every 30 days. I inherited a form of polycythemia from my Dad. He is 85 pretty soon so no big issue other than the monthly visits.

Funny thing the hospitals do not want my blood...:( I have to pay for my doctor to take it. Than they throw it out but no matter how much riding I did I never felt tired the next day...:)

-js