I Don't Think It's My Ass That's Clicking

kef4

Sep 4, 2010
Has anyone ever had an annoying creaking coming from their saddle? At first I thought it was my bottom bracket because it was a very rhythmic clicking and stopped when I stopped pedaling. I got a BB service. However, I had also changed seats at the time. Needless to say, the clicking went away...for awhile. It came back just before the Livestrong Philly Challenge. Had BB serviced again, but also changed to my racing seat for the event. Clicking was better for a bit, but it's back. The sound is coming from right below me, which is also why I thought it would be BB. This would make three different seats doing the clicking, but I am around 215 so I wouldn't rule out stress in the saddle rails. Should I worry about seat failure? Is this common?

kef4 said:
Has anyone ever had an annoying creaking coming from their saddle? At first I thought it was my bottom bracket because it was a very rhythmic clicking and stopped when I stopped pedaling. I got a BB service. However, I had also changed seats at the time. Needless to say, the clicking went away...for awhile. It came back just before the Livestrong Philly Challenge. Had BB serviced again, but also changed to my racing seat for the event. Clicking was better for a bit, but it's back. The sound is coming from right below me, which is also why I thought it would be BB. This would make three different seats doing the clicking, but I am around 215 so I wouldn't rule out stress in the saddle rails. Should I worry about seat failure? Is this common?

This has been known to happen, i.e. "saddle creak". Based on what you have described I think my next move would be to try another seatpost and see what happens. A little grease on the threads of your saddle mounting bolts might be worth trying too. Materials combination for your frame, seatpost might also help anyone trying to do an internet diagnosis.

Be sure there isn't something loose in your jersey or jacket making this noise... don't ask me why I say that! :eek: Good luck.

kef4 said:

The creak still might not be coming from your saddle. As you may soon discover, chasing down the source of a creak can be maddening. To rule out creak in the saddle area you can lube the saddle clamp bolts, the saddle rails under the clamp, and the seatpost which is inside the frame. I'd start with those things. See what happens, and then come back if the creak persists.

kef4 said:
Is it a click or a creak? If it is a click or tapping sound it could be coming from your pedals. I had a pair of Nashbar Ventoux II Mag pedals that had a screw that was holding the cover plate of the spring housing back out ever so slightly. This screw was lined up with a screw that was holding the rubber grip in the cleat. It developed into a click which was very hard to locate. Just one more thing to check.

Thanks for the advice. I wound up putting White Lightning Wax Lube on all the metal-to-metal interfaces of the seat and brackets. None on the seat post. It did the trick. Coincidentally (some folks suggested it was pedal noise, it wasn't because the wax on saddle fixed the noise), I busted the left pedal today on the second ride after fixing the noise.