I don't understand how/why it is harder to rack up TSS w/ higher FTP.

simplyred

Sep 27, 2007
I have a relatively low FTP [200W] - so high TSS rides come easy [I think the past 3 weeks I've averaged 1000 TSS]. The composition is boat loads of 4X20's @ 170/180W.

So - why is it harder for people with a higher FTP to reach the same TSS scores?

I mean if you have a 400W FTP - and you do 340/360W 4X20's - then shouldn't our TSS be the same? Because IF is just NP/FTP - no?

Maybe it's something I haven't picked up because I've never hit a 400W FTP. IOW, does 95% of FTP *feel* as difficult to maintain regardless of *how large* your FTP is? Or is it increasingly difficult to maintain 95% FTP as your FTP increases?
I suppose the metabolic demands are greater [larger magnitude of kJ required] - so it becomes harder to maintain such high TSS?

Thanks in advance.

simplyred said:
So - why is it harder for people with a higher FTP to reach the same TSS scores?
Well, for one thing, all that riding around you do to warm-up, cool down and as recovery between intervals is at a much higher % of your FTP than it probably would be for someone with a 400 W FTP. Therefore, you are racking up more TSS points during that "off time" than they are.

I doubt that it feels any different to someone with a higher FTP.

I also don't know that people with higher FTPs as a rule have a harder time accumulating TSS/CTL. I'm doing 700-1000 TSS weeks right now myself and my FTP is around 300 W. In fact, during the warmer months, I often have to make a conscious effort to do less than 600 TSS/week if I don't have something else going on.

I do know that it's hard for people to get the required time to it all.

simplyred said:
I have a relatively low FTP [200W] - so high TSS rides come easy [I think the past 3 weeks I've averaged 1000 TSS]. The composition is boat loads of 4X20's @ 170/180W.

I mean if you have a 400W FTP - and you do 340/360W 4X20's - then shouldn't our TSS be the same? Because IF is just NP/FTP - no?

Maybe it's something I haven't picked up because I've never hit a 400W FTP. IOW, does 95% of FTP *feel* as difficult to maintain regardless of *how large* your FTP is? Or is it increasingly difficult to maintain 95% FTP as your FTP increases?
I suppose the metabolic demands are greater [larger magnitude of kJ required] - so it becomes harder to maintain such high TSS?

Thanks in advance.
It's also easier to rack up "TSS" when your FTP is underestimated. And when FTP is lowish, being just 10W low in your FTP estimate is a lot.

The vastly different kJ needs cannot be ignored either.

simplyred said:

Thanks in advance.
If you're doing 4x20s maybe you might think about retesting and upping your FTP. When I get to be able to do 4x20 I know it's time to move up the power table, and doing 'boatloads' of them sounds like you're doing it easy.

Get out there and suffer, and let us know if you've improved!

Alex Simmons said:
The vastly different kJ needs cannot be ignored either.
I think this is a big factor...quite a lot more total work for a 350FTP vs 190FTP