i don't understand the sizes

10timesbetter

Oct 7, 2004
I did a search, and only came up with people asking what size bike was right for their height and weight, so sorry if this was covered already, but i couldn't find it,

I can figure out what size frame i need easy enough, but what I still can't figure out, is when people say they have a 57cm bike, what is it they're measuring? i was looking here, http://www.irocycle.com/fixedgearandsinglespeedbikeframesfromirocycleinc/id110.html and i figured I'd look, and when it said a bike was 50cm, I'd see what measurement they took of the bike, and i'd know, but there wasn't any measurements on the bike, that were the same as the size, so i'm just confused

10timesbetter said:
I did a search, and only came up with people asking what size bike was right for their height and weight, so sorry if this was covered already, but i couldn't find it,

I can figure out what size frame i need easy enough, but what I still can't figure out, is when people say they have a 57cm bike, what is it they're measuring? i was looking here, http://www.irocycle.com/fixedgearandsinglespeedbikeframesfromirocycleinc/id110.html and i figured I'd look, and when it said a bike was 50cm, I'd see what measurement they took of the bike, and i'd know, but there wasn't any measurements on the bike, that were the same as the size, so i'm just confused
'Size' references seattube. Problem is that some measure center of BB to center of toptube,others center to top of toptube and others center to top of an extended seattube. All measurements being along the seattube. To add further confusion, with sloping toptube designs, some use an actual measurement and some use a virtual c-c or c-t measurement.

I thought it was the seattube, but, the only thing that i still don't get, is that my seatpost is adjustable, so......I think the only thing that'd really be a good measure for size, is the length and angle of the top tube, because that's what would make a difference in how far or close you were to the seat, and then i can move it up or down from there depending on how high i want my seat, or am i wrong??

10timesbetter said:
I thought it was the seattube, but, the only thing that i still don't get, is that my seatpost is adjustable, so......I think the only thing that'd really be a good measure for size, is the length and angle of the top tube, because that's what would make a difference in how far or close you were to the seat, and then i can move it up or down from there depending on how high i want my seat, or am i wrong??
TT matters alot. Seattube does too. You can only adjust a seatpost so far. Jack it up too high and you you are too far above the bars. Sit it down on the top of the seatpost and the TT will be too long.You have to consider both. You got alot more thinking and figuring to do before trying to buy a bike without knowing alot more.A good way to throw alot of money down a rathole. find a good LBS that knows what they are doing about sizing.