I don't understand - what is this for?

Marz wrote:
> On Aug 7, 11:39 am, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> So? That smoother and faster line at 12mph will still be smoother and
>> faster at 20 mph. Why beat your bike and body unnecessarily?
>>

> So you saying that for any given section of trail you can hit it as
> hard and fast riding rigid as FS, more BS.

No, I'm not saying that at all. If one has learned to pick lines on a
rigid bike he will continue to pick those lines on the FS resulting in
more comfort and less beating of their bike at greater speeds where a
beginner on an FS will pick lines that are only as comfortable as necessary.

> And it's riding a rigid bike that's going to beat your bike and body
> up, not riding a FS.

No chit.

>> Frickin' cushy FS apologists crack me up.

> I was sayin' that different bikes suit different riding styles and for
> the way I like to ride, a rigid would be useless and a SS not as much
> fun. Maybe I'm negating my 25 years of off roading,

Ooooh, your **** is 19% bigger than mine! As an adult I've only been
riding off-road bicycles for 21 years. Unless you count the rigid
minibike I started on 41 years ago at 3 years old then in that case my
**** is way bigger than yours.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

[email protected] wrote:

> Dear JD,
>
> Are you claiming that you'd pedal your single speed up the passes that
> routinely defeated the single-speed racers in the early Tour de
> France, but not the tourists enjoying the outing?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Dear Carl,

I thought walking steep passes was more efficient than riding them.

Cheers,

Greg who?

--

On Aug 7, 1:36 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marz wrote:
> > On Aug 7, 11:39 am, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> So? That smoother and faster line at 12mph will still be smoother and
> >> faster at 20 mph. Why beat your bike and body unnecessarily?

> > So you saying that for any given section of trail you can hit it as
> > hard and fast riding rigid as FS, more BS.

> No, I'm not saying that at all. If one has learned to pick lines on a
> rigid bike he will continue to pick those lines on the FS resulting in
> more comfort and less beating of their bike at greater speeds where a
> beginner on an FS will pick lines that are only as comfortable as necessary.

Yes that's the point of riding FS (for me), to take lines that are as
comfortable as necessary to allow a faster transition through a
section of trail. I don't have to restrict how I ride a section of
trail due to the limitations of a rigid bike. But then it's all back
to how different folks get pleasure out of mtbing and what sort of
bike they choose to compliment their style of riding. When I've been
out on group rides I find it great to see how different riders take
different lines through certain sections of the trail based on their
own skill levels, type of bike, riding style and objectives. Even in
racing you don't ever just follow the guy in front, you look for a
line that'll get you past 'em.

> Ooooh, your **** is 19% bigger than mine! As an adult I've only been
> riding off-road bicycles for 21 years. Unless you count the rigid
> minibike I started on 41 years ago at 3 years old then in that case my
> **** is way bigger than yours.

That's not a bigger **** that's just saggier balls.

"Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 7, 1:36 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Marz wrote:

>> > So you saying that for any given section of trail you can hit it as
>> > hard and fast riding rigid as FS, more BS.

>> No, I'm not saying that at all. If one has learned to pick lines on a
>> rigid bike he will continue to pick those lines on the FS resulting in
>> more comfort and less beating of their bike at greater speeds where a
>> beginner on an FS will pick lines that are only as comfortable as
>> necessary.

> Yes that's the point of riding FS (for me), to take lines that are as
> comfortable as necessary to allow a faster transition through a
> section of trail. I don't have to restrict how I ride a section of
> trail due to the limitations of a rigid bike.

I think you're purposely ignoring the point that if you start with a
smoother line, unless it's way out of the way, you're going to go faster and
smoother when on your FS.

> But then it's all back
> to how different folks get pleasure out of mtbing and what sort of
> bike they choose to compliment their style of riding. When I've been
> out on group rides I find it great to see how different riders take
> different lines through certain sections of the trail based on their
> own skill levels, type of bike, riding style and objectives.

Yep, for me the most interesting is seeing the different lines by riding
style given the same skill level and type of bike. It sometimes blows me
away when someone on the same type of bike as me and at the same skill level
takes a line I wouldn't have even noticed.

Greg
--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://ticketmastersucks.org

On Aug 7, 1:44 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think you're purposely ignoring the point that if you start with a
> smoother line, unless it's way out of the way, you're going to go faster and
> smoother when on your FS.

The smoothest line isn't always the fastest line.

But it's AALLLLWAAAAYYYYS the smoothest.

Robert

"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com"> wrote in

Can't say, but they'd be a ***** on a steep climb...

Fred Clydesdale wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

while a singlespeed with a freewheel
> may be slightly more practical (than a fixed-gear bicycle), it
> still seems considerably less useful than a modern, multi-gear
> bicycle.
>
> (application of emoticons as required.)

You first have to define "useful". If your personal definition starts
with the words "efficient" or "fast", then you are probably correct.
But if it starts with "fun" then it is open to interpretation.
I spend most of my working life either building or designing sailing
boats - not as fast as powerboats, but waaaay more fun.

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
>> Chalo wrote:
>>>
>>> If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
>>> kidding yourself.
>>>

>> Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and
>> on his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other
>> than downhill on the fixed).

> Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
> bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

My friend Jeff is getting top 5 or top 10 in semi pro on his SS pretty
regularly.
With that "training" under his belt, he got second in the Crested Butte
Classic on his geared bike.

My SS team got third overall in the 24 Hours in the Sage last summer
against some pretty good competition.

But that's not really the point. It's fun and changes a given ride to do
it on a SS instead of a geared bike. If you don't like how it changes
the ride then by all means don't ride one. I didn't really get it until
I felt it and now I love that bike. It's strangely addictive.

Now from what I hear, the 69er idea is to let the front wheel stay high
and roll over obstacles more easily, and the rear be lighter, have less
rotational inertia, and "dig" more for traction. Whether it's true or
how noticeable it is is definitely up for debate. But I have two friends
with Trek 69ers and another who built up his own FrankenBike 69er They
all really like theirs. I've only ridden one on pavement, but it does
feel good. I plan on borrowing one soon for a real ride to see what the
hype is about for myself.

Matt (just in from riding my SS - ahhh)

Matt

JD wrote:
> On Aug 6, 5:02 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Steve Baker wrote:
>>> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote (in part):
>>> I would rather ride my
>>> Prove it - PLEASE!
>>> Like for, say, a month or so.....

>> I have proved over and over that I like to argue on Usenet. ;)

> Ineffectively, at that!
>
> Go read some more bike racing magazines, it'll make you feel better
> about your lame opinions.

Whooosh!!!

What makes you think I have much interest in racing?

P.S. Insults are not effective argument. ;)

[email protected] aka Robert who? wrote:
> On Aug 7, 1:44 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I think you're purposely ignoring the point that if you start with a
>> smoother line, unless it's way out of the way, you're going to go faster and
>> smoother when on your FS.

> The smoothest line isn't always the fastest line.
>
> But it's AALLLLWAAAAYYYYS the smoothest.

We have discovered the truism! ;)

JD wrote:
> On Aug 6, 7:35 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:53:04 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.
>>> JD

>> Dear JD,
>>
>> Are the single-speed riders in these pictures punks or poseurs? Their
>> successors were much, much faster with derailleurs.
>>
>> They include Lapize, Albini, Thys, Cristophe, Scieur, Buysse, and
>> others, early giants of bicycling who couldn't even ride their
>> single-speeds all the way up the Tour de France passes, much less keep
>> up with contemporary riders who climbed the same passes with
>> derailleurs.
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/imageshist011/1910L-Lap...
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/imageshist011/1910L-Lap...
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/imageshist011/1910L-Lap...
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/imageshist011/1912-si-c...
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/imageshist011/1912-lead...
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/imageshist011/1913--Des...
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%20history/imageshist011/1913-6%b0...
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/imageshist011/1913-Thys...
>>
>> You can enjoy the details in context here:
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/tdfhistory1910.html
>>
>> ***
>>
>> "Before derailleurs, even the great ones would have to walk their
>> bikes. Here Scieur walks his bike up the Galibier in stage 11."
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/imageshist02/1921-11th-...
>>
>> ***
>>
>> "Buysse in Hell. Here he pushes his bike up the Tourmalet."
>>
>> http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf history/imageshist02/1926-Buyss...
>>
>> After the Tour de France allowed derailleurs, single-speeds vanished,
>> and so did pictures of the peloton pushing on foot up the passes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

> Get a life, fool. Racing doesn't mean ****.

Generally, the racers in the TdF only urinate during the race, so JD has
a point.

Doug Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:41:17 +0930, Michael Warner <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 02:07:06 -0700, JD wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like you ride with punks and poseurs.

>> No, I ride with A and B-grade vet racers on their training rides, which
>> they say are often tougher than their races.
>>
>> You sound like an idiot, and a fairly slow one.

> Actually, he's a SS riding mountain biker from amb caught in a
> cross-posting cultural war with roadies from rbt and rbm.

Who was the moron that started this thread anyhow, oh wait... ;)

Mamba ? wrote:
> "Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com"> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> See <http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/mountain/69er.html>.
>>
>> Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it just a
>> demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear wheel
>> provide any real advantage?

> Can't say, but they'd be a ***** on a steep climb...

Why? It is not like shoving two different size wheels into a frame
designed for same size wheels, which would likely result in bad weight
distribution and weird handling.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:41:57 -0400, Doug Taylor wrote:

> Actually, he's a SS riding mountain biker from amb caught in a
> cross-posting cultural war with roadies from rbt and rbm.

Ah. Sorry :)

(not crossposted)

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:50:10 -0700, JD wrote:

> Get this ********, RACING DOESN'T MEAN ****.

Translation: "I WOULD GET DROPPED IN UNDER A MINUTE"

:)

"Michael Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:50:10 -0700, JD wrote:
>
>> Get this ********, RACING DOESN'T MEAN ****.

> Translation: "I WOULD GET DROPPED IN UNDER A MINUTE"

Even if that were the case RACING STILL DOESN'T MEAN ****.

:)

Greg
--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://ticketmastersucks.org
"Ya gotta stop riding the brakes,
ya gotta stop robbing the cradle" - Chris D

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:26:19 -0000, Marz <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I love this BS you get from people who claim riding a fully rigid
>single speed mtb and 'actually picking a line' somehow makes you a
>better rider over all.

Are you responding to ME? HELLO!

Find where I used the word "better." Do you suck so bad that you
perceive slights and threats in everything you read? Talk to your
shrink, but leave me out of it.

I was contrasting riding my rigid SS to my Dualie, and I commented
that the SS has the benefit of being 6 or 7 lbs. lighter than the
lightest dualie (and at least 10 lbs lighter than the average trail
bike), and requires that you pick a line and stand while you climb.
"Better?" Maybe, or arguably. Different? Absolutely. And obviously.

In that respect, your comment about niche is correct. SS is a niche.
As is x-c / racing. And trail riding. And free riding. And
downhill. And trials. And stunts. And cyclocross. Etc. Whatever
floats your boat.

Allow me to correct the Dylan quote:

"... don't criticize what you can't understand."

"Don't" implies the ability to overcome your deficiency. "Can't"
means you're hopeless.

G.T. wrote:
> Even if that were the case RACING STILL DOESN'T MEAN ****.

OK, then how do we know who's fastest?
c'mon, 'racing' in all its forms is very human. Bikes, cash, SAT scores,
poker, whatever.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:

>> "Michael Warner" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Translation: "I WOULD GET DROPPED IN UNDER A MINUTE"

> G.T. wrote:
>> Even if that were the case RACING STILL DOESN'T MEAN ****.

> OK, then how do we know who's fastest?
> c'mon, 'racing' in all its forms is very human. Bikes, cash, SAT scores,
> poker, whatever.

I ride my bike to ride, I use cash to supply myself with things on which
I survive, I play poker because gambling is fun and sometimes I make
money at it, the only thing on your list that I view as necessarily
competitive are SAT scores.

Greg