I don't understand - what is this for?

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:06:29 -0700, Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
wrote:

> In article <op.twn1x4a3f3vmig@slacker>,
> ?Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:33:47 -0700, Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> <[email protected]>

>> > Have you ever had even a little bit of sex? :-D

>> Thanks for offer, but I don't swing that way.

> The answer's "no," then, or you'd have realized that what RonSonic wrote
> is quite true. Just because it's faster doesn't mean it's more fun.
> Remember that the first time you get laid.

Please don't publish your baby picture on the Net if you don't want to
found out --->
http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com/raptureready/images/signs_you_may_be_gay.jpg

--
Slack

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 5, 2:29 pm, "GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Anything you say, asshole.

>> Nice come back. You must have put a lot of thought into it.
>>

> Please do excuse my reluctance to cast pearls before swine.

This is the perils of replying to a cross-possting. You just woke up one of
the self-righteous kiddies of alt.mountain-biking soapbox.

On Aug 10, 11:01 am, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Aug 5, 2:29 pm, "GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> Nice come back. You must have put a lot of thought into it.

> > Please do excuse my reluctance to cast pearls before swine.

> This is the perils of replying to a cross-possting. You just woke up oneof
> the self-righteous kiddies of alt.mountain-biking soapbox.

Yeah, "this is". What a dumbass. Go ride your bike, you
pontificating ********.

JD

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:

> Koans are not quite the same as aphorisms . . .

Actually, they are.

Old saws 'n chestnuts are not the same as koans.

Well, they are, too. After all, it's not about
the nail -- it's about the hammer. Or the hand
that swings the hammer. Or the mind that decides
to swing the hammer. Or the superlative being that
decides that an hammer should be swung. Or the
Parvardegar that says: "Yeah, sure. Swing the hammer
if ya wanna. I dreamt that it would happen, anyway. And
what are dreams to me, are reality to you, and what you
believe to be real is mere, ethereal daydreaming to me:
I daydreamed you up. Knock yerselves out. Try not to
hurt each other, but rather try to help each other, and
co-exist in mutual love and respect. You're going to do
that anyways, 'cuz that's how I invented you in my daydreams.
So feel good, and don't hurt anybody. Love your fellows."

The Almighty might even be able to put up with you on a
personal level, if you don't bug him too much. Just remember,
he's already got a lot on his plate, what with making the
entire universe work, and we're not particularly special.

Well, we all are special, but we're not allowed to wield
it against each other. By helping each other, we're
helping the Cosmic Him/Her/It.

Screw koans. Screw aphorisms. Screw ego. Screw my ego.
Screw your ego. Screw everybody's ego.

cheers,
Tom

--
We're upping our standards. So up yours.
-- Pat Paulsen

"Have you heard the news -- there's good rockin' tonight"

Tom Keats wrote:
> Screw koans. Screw aphorisms. Screw ego. Screw my ego.
> Screw your ego. Screw everybody's ego.

Screw threaded fasteners.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!"

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:57:54 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:
>
>> Koans are not quite the same as aphorisms . . .

>Actually, they are.
>
>Old saws 'n chestnuts are not the same as koans.
>
>Well, they are, too. After all, it's not about
>the nail -- it's about the hammer. Or the hand
>that swings the hammer. Or the mind that decides
>to swing the hammer. Or the superlative being that
>decides that an hammer should be swung. Or the
>Parvardegar that says: "Yeah, sure. Swing the hammer
>if ya wanna. I dreamt that it would happen, anyway. And
>what are dreams to me, are reality to you, and what you
>believe to be real is mere, ethereal daydreaming to me:
>I daydreamed you up. Knock yerselves out. Try not to
>hurt each other, but rather try to help each other, and
>co-exist in mutual love and respect. You're going to do
>that anyways, 'cuz that's how I invented you in my daydreams.
>So feel good, and don't hurt anybody. Love your fellows."
>
>The Almighty might even be able to put up with you on a
>personal level, if you don't bug him too much. Just remember,
>he's already got a lot on his plate, what with making the
>entire universe work, and we're not particularly special.
>
>Well, we all are special, but we're not allowed to wield
>it against each other. By helping each other, we're
>helping the Cosmic Him/Her/It.
>
>Screw koans. Screw aphorisms. Screw ego. Screw my ego.
>Screw your ego. Screw everybody's ego.
>

>cheers,
> Tom

Dear Tom,

A Zen student asked his master whether koans were aphorisms.

The master told him to shoplift the second volume of the condensed
Oxford English Dictionary from WalMart.

The puzzled student protested that shoplifting seemed unethical, that
neither "aphorism" nor "koan" would appear in P-Z, and that WalMart
was unlikely to stock a two-volume dictionary meeting the UCI minimum
weight requirement.

The master told the student, "Never mind. Buy a Fury RoadMaster at
WalMart and cook it for dinner."

After pondering the annihilation of self and sense for a few seconds,
the student left the monastery, stopped payment on his tuition check,
used the money to buy an elegant new bicycle at the local bike shop,
and enjoyed the fine spring weather.

A few months later, the lapsed student was pleased to read in the
newspaper (whose cartoons made more sense than his previous studies)
that the master had left the monastery, too, after embezzling its
meagre funds, but had been easily apprehended because he fled on foot.

Three to five year later (with time off for good behavior), the master
finished contemplating his sentence and placed an ad in the same
newspaper, inviting all his former students to come on down to his new
workplace, where he sold used automobiles that answered the question,
"What is the sound of one piston knocking?"

The student rode past the car lot every day, but waved only when he
could not see his former master.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:57:54 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] writes:
>>
>>> Koans are not quite the same as aphorisms . . .

>> Actually, they are.

<snip-de-dipshit>

> The student rode past the car lot every day, but waved only when he
> could not see his former master.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Carl,
FFS go ride your bike!

On Aug 4, 1:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 12:33:57 -0500, Tim McNamara
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com">
> > wrote:

> >> See <http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/mountain/69er.html>.

> >> Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it
> >> just a demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear
> >> wheel provide any real advantage?

> >Back in the day, Charlie Cunningham built MTBs with a smaller rear
> >wheel- IIRC 20" rear and 26" front. Many dirt motorbikes have a smaller
> >rear wheel. I have no idea why. MaybeCarlFogel does, he used to ride
> >trialsand the like.

> Dear Tim,
>
> Sorry, but we fooled you.
>
> Don't feel bad, since 9 out of 10trialsriders will mistakenly insist
> that their front tires are bigger.
>
> After all,trialsmachines use 21-inch front rims and 18-inch rear
> rims, so the front tire must be 3 inches taller, right?
>
> Nope.
>
> Look at this 2007 GasGas TXT 300cc, which has the standard 21 x 2.75
> front tire and 18 x 4.00 rear tire:
>
> http://i16.tinypic.com/4pl4yhk.jpg
>
> You can't tell the front tire from the rear with a yardstick on atrialsmachine, particularly if the rider's weight is squashing the
> lightly inflated tires.
>
> For practical purposes, the front and rear tires are the same height.
> In fact, the height of the tread blocks on a particular model of tire
> has more effect on the tire height than whether it's a "21" front or
> "18" rear tire.
>
> On the front, the narrow 21-inch rim mounts a skinny 2.75 tire. The
> combination is tall enough to roll over obstacles easily, but still
> light enough to steer, bounce, and pop up in tricky places. The rim is
> strong enough because the leading tire takes less impact, carries less
> weight, and has more suspension.
>
> On the rear, the wide 18-inch rim mounts a 4.00 tire, which is so
> thick in cross-section that it ends up just as tall and willing to
> roll over obstacles as the dainty front tire.
>
> The 4-inch width gives traction for the engine, the huge increase in
> cross-section gives more pneumatic suspension at the same 4~6 psi
> (think 700x38 versus 700x21), and the massive rim and tire withstand
> ~400 pounds of rider and machine slamming into waist-high rock ledges.
>
> Since the rear tire steers a gentler curve than the front tire, the
> enormous increase in weight doesn't hurt handling.
>
> That's why the original 19-inch front and rear rims were replaced.
> They were fine for pavement and okay for fairly smooth off-road
> riding, but too heavy and clumsy for the front and not heavy and
> strong enough for the rear when riders began bouncing over fallen logs
> and big rocks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> CarlFogel

An email asked whether non-trials motorcycles also have tires with
different size rims, but the same effective tire height.

Non-trials motorcycles are a dark and bloody mystery to me, since I
can't see what purpose they serve, but I grabbed the first picture of
a motocrosser that I saw on the Honda site and popped it into my etch-
a-sketch--er, sophisticated computer paint program:

http://i11.tinypic.com/67sni44.jpg

The rims turn out to be 19" and 21":

http://powersports.honda.com/motorc...lName=CRF450R&ModelYear=2007&ModelId=CRF450R7

You could argue that the front tire here is a tiny bit taller, but
that may be due to the picture angle, tire inflation, or my etch-a-
sketch skills. It's certainly not 2 inches taller.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Aug 8, 11:49 am, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> OK, then how do we know who's fastest?
> >> c'mon, 'racing' in all its forms is very human. Bikes, cash, SAT scores,
> >> poker, whatever.

> Doug Taylor wrote:
> > Again, I think we have a "failure to communicate" and a values
> > conflict between amb and rbt culture.

> > Of course racing and competing is inherent in human nature. But the
> > categories of faster, stronger, better, etc., have no inherent
> > priority: the are merely value judgments. Either they make a
> > difference to you, or they don't.

> > Our mountain biking SS rider doesn't measure his worth by comparing
> > himself to the abilities of others, regardless of which side of any
> > equation he may be on in terms of strength or skill (and he might
> > REALLY be "faster, stronger, better"). Riding for him is not a
> > competition; it is an activity to be enjoyed in itself.

> > "I ride my bike to ride my bike" - Zen proverb.

> > Furthermore, when you add to the mix that virtually ALL professional
> > and world class athletic competitions are tainted, if not thoroughly
> > discredited, by doping in all its myriad forms, then the value
> > judgments of faster, stronger, better, lose all legitimacy and even
> > relevance.
> > A rider who rides to enjoy the ride for itself could care less about
> > which doped rider on which dope (or not) is faster, stronger, better
> > than which other doped riders (or not).
> > Hence, RACING DOESN'T MEAN ****.

> Well said. My reply was flippant, perhaps the humor didn't work well.
> Yes some people find a challenge in every bit of human discourse. I'm
> with you personally, I ride my bike to ride my bike.
>
> p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

I knew you got it all. Anyone who takes a nickel out of their pocket
and welds it to a broken off u-lock key as a fix definitely gets it.

JD

JD wrote:
> I knew you got it all. Anyone who takes a nickel out of their pocket
> and welds it to a broken off u-lock key as a fix definitely gets it.

Do you know her? That was a fun job!
I silver brazed 4 nickels on the air cleaner cover bolts of my MG in
1975 (Brit air cleaners are on and off so often you can't reach for a
wrench every time) and just kinda got into the habit.
--

Andrew Muzi wrote:
> I silver brazed 4 nickels on the air cleaner cover bolts of my MG in
> 1975 (Brit air cleaners are on and off so often you can't reach for a
> wrench every time) and just kinda got into the habit.

My MG had a latch on the air cleaner. In addition to the filter, it also
had soybeans (must have been mice climbing up the air intake hose and
using the vacant space for food storage).

On Aug 14, 6:29 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Well said. My reply was flippant, perhaps the humor didn't work well.
> >> Yes some people find a challenge in every bit of human discourse. I'm
> >> with you personally, I ride my bike to ride my bike.
> >> p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?

> JD wrote:
> > I knew you got it all. Anyone who takes a nickel out of their pocket
> > and welds it to a broken off u-lock key as a fix definitely gets it.

> Do you know her? That was a fun job!
> I silver brazed 4 nickels on the air cleaner cover bolts of my MG in
> 1975 (Brit air cleaners are on and off so often you can't reach for a
> wrench every time) and just kinda got into the habit.

I have met someone who does know her. There are a lot of cheesehead
refugees in SoCal.

JD

JD wrote:
> ...There are a lot of cheesehead refugees in SoCal.

Why?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:50:28 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>JD wrote:
>> ...There are a lot of cheesehead refugees in SoCal.

>Why?

Good question. Why trade lakes and green scenery for smog, Hollywood,
and freeways?

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> ...There are a lot of cheesehead refugees in SoCal.

> Why?

Dunno, but two things:

1) In college at UC Irvine I did a survey of my friends and one level
of their friends. 83.34% were from Wisconsin and the other 16.66% were
from Minnesota. I believe they all stayed in California.

2) Back in the day when the LA Rams played Green Bay there were no Rams
fans in Anaheim Stadium. It was 100% filled with Cheeseheads.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mamba ? wrote:
> > "Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com"> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> >> See <http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/mountain/69er.html>.
> >>
> >> Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it just

> >> demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear wheel
> >> provide any real advantage?

> ><TongueInCheek> Can't say, but they'd be a ***** on a steep climb...

</TongueInCheek>

> Why? It is not like shoving two different size wheels into a frame
> designed for same size wheels, which would likely result in bad weight
> distribution and weird handling.

Next time I'll be more explicit with my tags.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:57:54 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] writes:
>>
>>> Koans are not quite the same as aphorisms . . .

>>Actually, they are.
>>
>>Old saws 'n chestnuts are not the same as koans.
>>
>>Well, they are, too. After all, it's not about
>>the nail -- it's about the hammer. Or the hand
>>that swings the hammer. Or the mind that decides
>>to swing the hammer. Or the superlative being that
>>decides that an hammer should be swung. Or the
>>Parvardegar that says: "Yeah, sure. Swing the hammer
>>if ya wanna. I dreamt that it would happen, anyway. And
>>what are dreams to me, are reality to you, and what you
>>believe to be real is mere, ethereal daydreaming to me:
>>I daydreamed you up. Knock yerselves out. Try not to
>>hurt each other, but rather try to help each other, and
>>co-exist in mutual love and respect. You're going to do
>>that anyways, 'cuz that's how I invented you in my daydreams.
>>So feel good, and don't hurt anybody. Love your fellows."
>>
>>The Almighty might even be able to put up with you on a
>>personal level, if you don't bug him too much. Just remember,
>>he's already got a lot on his plate, what with making the
>>entire universe work, and we're not particularly special.
>>
>>Well, we all are special, but we're not allowed to wield
>>it against each other. By helping each other, we're
>>helping the Cosmic Him/Her/It.
>>
>>Screw koans. Screw aphorisms. Screw ego. Screw my ego.
>>Screw your ego. Screw everybody's ego.
>>

>>cheers,
>> Tom

> Dear Tom,
>
> A Zen student asked his master whether koans were aphorisms.
>
> The master told him to shoplift the second volume of the condensed
> Oxford English Dictionary from WalMart.

Everbody knows the /Cambridge/ Dictionary is the
one, true lexicon. In fact, Cambridge is the one,
true seat of learning.

Well, that, and the place where the Teletubbies hang
around in.

And Pender Harbour (... mmm ... clam chowder & a puffy bannock.)

And a certain spot northeast of Mission BC, up Sylvester Road,
adjacent to Cascade (McConnell) Creek.

The Parvardargar, like you & me, doesn't like stupid useless
razmatazz. He/She/It especially doesn't like beings
subjecting other beings to razmatazz. And that's what's fscking
this whole world up -- people subjecting other people to
razmatazz. And then responding with counter-razmatazz.
The whole world is filled up and replete with razmatazz.
What a bunch of idiots we are. "What fools these mortals be."

Go steal a library book, indeed! A /reference/ book, at that.
Y'know what? Imo Philips once discussed that very topic, and
he handled it much more adroitly than any Zen Bhuddist. Of
course the Parvardargar would be unhappy with his approach, too.

Why are we so self-destructive?
Why should we /be/ so self-destructive?

Oh, well. It'll all come out in t' wash.

It always does.

That Zen master needs his handlebar-mounted mirror
knocked out of adjustment.

cheers,
Tom

--
I'm really at [email protected]
You're nice people. I'm glad you're here.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.