I don't understand - what is this for?

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A fixie mountain bike does sound fairly insane, sort of an ego trip
> for bored muscle heads. But that is not the subject of this thread,
> which is single speed, with freewheel. Different animal.

Harsh, but fair...
Racing a fixie offroad can be pretty tough, but racing's not about taking it
easy. Plus it gives the commentators something to talk about. I was pretty
stoked a few weeks ago to win my first Dirt Crit in A-grade on my fixie but
that was mainly due to most of the Elite riders taking it easy over winter.

While I'm contributing to this bloated thread I thought I'd make a few
points:

Riding a single speed offroad makes a hell of a lot more sense than most
people expect.

Good mountain biking is either uphill where your lowish gear is tolerable,
downhill where you're coasting or tight singletrack where your speed is
determined by cornering more than pedalling.

Fit legs have a far greater cadence range than you'd expect.

An SS drivetrain without a tensioner is noticably more efficient than
geared.

SS does teach a lot of skills about maintaining speed through corners and
undulating terrain.

SS is good training as you get to grind and spin.

SS can be faster in some races as it forces you to put effort into the
climbs and recover on the downhills. It does wear you out a bit quicker
though.

Simplicity and durability are very important for people who want to spend
more time riding and less time maintaining their bikes.

Rigid forks (not SS related) do teach you a lot about the effects of terrain
that carries over to variable length forks.

Fixed gear MTBs are pretty stupid but you do get very good speed modulation
in some singletrack...

The list goes on...

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 23:48:01 +1000, "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> A fixie mountain bike does sound fairly insane, sort of an ego trip
>> for bored muscle heads. But that is not the subject of this thread,
>> which is single speed, with freewheel. Different animal.

>Harsh, but fair...
>Racing a fixie offroad can be pretty tough, but racing's not about taking it
>easy. Plus it gives the commentators something to talk about. I was pretty
>stoked a few weeks ago to win my first Dirt Crit in A-grade on my fixie but
>that was mainly due to most of the Elite riders taking it easy over winter.
>
>While I'm contributing to this bloated thread I thought I'd make a few
>points:
>
>Riding a single speed offroad makes a hell of a lot more sense than most
>people expect.
>
>Good mountain biking is either uphill where your lowish gear is tolerable,
>downhill where you're coasting or tight singletrack where your speed is
>determined by cornering more than pedalling.
>
>Fit legs have a far greater cadence range than you'd expect.
>
>An SS drivetrain without a tensioner is noticably more efficient than
>geared.
>
>SS does teach a lot of skills about maintaining speed through corners and
>undulating terrain.
>
>SS is good training as you get to grind and spin.
>
>SS can be faster in some races as it forces you to put effort into the
>climbs and recover on the downhills. It does wear you out a bit quicker
>though.
>
>Simplicity and durability are very important for people who want to spend
>more time riding and less time maintaining their bikes.
>
>Rigid forks (not SS related) do teach you a lot about the effects of terrain
>that carries over to variable length forks.
>
>Fixed gear MTBs are pretty stupid but you do get very good speed modulation
>in some singletrack...
>
>The list goes on...

Amen. The only thing I would add is the fact that a rigid SS
(especially if you are rich enough to have a Sibex fork) weighs at
least 5 and usually much more than any dual suspension bike on the
market), which makes a huge difference going up if not down and
sideways.

It is refreshing when somebody who actually has experience on the
subject matter of a thread posts his $0.02.

P.S. Sorry about the fixie quip, but fixies off-road just have that
ultra marathon, iron man sounding quality - somewhere way off the left
side of the bell curve :)

P.S.S. No, I CAN'T ride a fixie off-road.

On Aug 7, 8:25 pm, Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:26:19 -0000, Marz <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >I love this BS you get from people who claim riding a fully rigid
> >single speed mtb and 'actually picking a line' somehow makes you a
> >better rider over all.

> Are you responding to ME? HELLO!

Sort of, I may have extrapolated a 'better' from your phase 'actually
picking a line' and I guess I was really ranting off at alot of
general comments you see, all over the web and mags, about how riding
a ss and/or rigid can make you a better rider.

My shrink says I'm doing much better these days with my anger
mangement. I'm looking forward to our next session once the miserable
f&(k gets out of hospital. :)

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:48:01 -0000, Marz <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My shrink says I'm doing much better these days with my anger
>mangement. I'm looking forward to our next session once the miserable
>f&(k gets out of hospital. :)

While we're on the subject of competition, your anger management
issues don't hold a candle to mine. I actually take medication to
keep me flying off the handle.

2004: Dr. to me: "You're going to stroke out if you don't calm down.
I know you're not depressed, but his lexapro will help your anger
issues."

2007: Me to Dr.: "I've had no road rage in 3 years, but found out
that my 20 pound weight gain over this period and gut hanging over my
belt, despite all the riding, skiing and skating I do, is because of
the friggin lexapro. And that PISSES ME OFF!"

Ya can't win.

Which is why the anonymity of usenet is a great release. Flame away
and hope that some true whack job (and there are more than a few)
doesn't track you down in real time and blow away your family...

Duncan wrote:
> "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> A fixie mountain bike does sound fairly insane, sort of an ego trip
>> for bored muscle heads. But that is not the subject of this thread,
>> which is single speed, with freewheel. Different animal.

> Harsh, but fair...
> Racing a fixie offroad can be pretty tough, but racing's not about taking it
> easy. Plus it gives the commentators something to talk about. I was pretty
> stoked a few weeks ago to win my first Dirt Crit in A-grade on my fixie but
> that was mainly due to most of the Elite riders taking it easy over winter.

Congrats. Vive la différence!!!!!!!!!!

Greg
--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> While we're on the subject of competition, your anger management
> issues don't hold a candle to mine. I actually take medication to
> keep me flying off the handle.

And I always thought the SS scene was all laid back and relaxed n'all :)

cheers,
clive

Doug Taylor wrote:
> Again, I think we have a "failure to communicate" and a values
> conflict between amb and rbt culture.
>
> Of course racing and competing is inherent in human nature. But the
> categories of faster, stronger, better, etc., have no inherent
> priority: the are merely value judgments. Either they make a
> difference to you, or they don't.
>
> Our mountain biking SS rider doesn't measure his worth by comparing
> himself to the abilities of others, regardless of which side of any
> equation he may be on in terms of strength or skill (and he might
> REALLY be "faster, stronger, better"). Riding for him is not a
> competition; it is an activity to be enjoyed in itself.
>
> "I ride my bike to ride my bike" - Zen proverb.
>
> Furthermore, when you add to the mix that virtually ALL professional
> and world class athletic competitions are tainted, if not thoroughly
> discredited, by doping in all its myriad forms, then the value
> judgments of faster, stronger, better, lose all legitimacy and even
> relevance.
> A rider who rides to enjoy the ride for itself could care less about
> which doped rider on which dope (or not) is faster, stronger, better
> than which other doped riders (or not).
> Hence, RACING DOESN'T MEAN ****.

Well said. My reply was flippant, perhaps the humor didn't work well.
Yes some people find a challenge in every bit of human discourse. I'm
with you personally, I ride my bike to ride my bike.

p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Aug 6, 8:06 am, Corvus Corvax <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 1:16 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
>
> <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com"> wrote:
>
> > What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

> To think I missed this flamewar!
>
> http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/article.php?ID=437&category=web_only
>
> Ride what you want. Life is good.
>
> CC

It's like the yule log. Looks hot, no heat, and I've got my feel up on
the ottoman.

"he got a gallon of
gas in a can, drove home, doused
everything in the house, torched it
parked across the street laughing
watching it burn, all Halloween
orange and chimney red
then Frank put on a top forty station
got on the Hollywood Freeway
headed north
Never could stand that dog"

/s

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 6, 8:06 am, Corvus Corvax <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Aug 4, 1:16 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
>>
>> <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com"> wrote:
>>
>> > What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

>> To think I missed this flamewar!
>>
>> http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/article.php?ID=437&category=web_only
>>
>> Ride what you want. Life is good.
>>
>> CC

> It's like the yule log. Looks hot, no heat, and I've got my feel up on
> the ottoman.

Scott,
And one should take a feel up wherever one can get it!
Kerry

> "he got a gallon of
> gas in a can, drove home, doused
> everything in the house, torched it
> parked across the street laughing
> watching it burn, all Halloween
> orange and chimney red
> then Frank put on a top forty station
> got on the Hollywood Freeway
> headed north
> Never could stand that dog"
>
> /s

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:49:41 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?

Who knows? :)

I like this version:

And this one shows up on the internet as a "Zen Proverb." God
knows where it really comes from, but even anonymous it's a good one:

A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market,
riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had
dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your
bicycles?"
The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of
potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The
teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow
old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."
The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass
by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student,
"Your eyes are open, and you see the world."
The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to
chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third
student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."
The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with
all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth
student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."
The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The
teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, "Ahh.... I am
your student!"

http://tucorides.blogspot.com/2006/06/cycling-quotes.html

On Aug 9, 6:59 am, Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:49:41 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?

> Who knows? :)
>
> I like this version:

And this one shows up on the internet as a "Zen Proverb." God
> knows where it really comes from, but even anonymous it's a good one:
>
> A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market,
> riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had
> dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your
> bicycles?"
> The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of
> potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The
> teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow
> old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."
> The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass
> by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student,
> "Your eyes are open, and you see the world."
> The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to
> chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third
> student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."
> The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with
> all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth
> student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."
> The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The
> teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, "Ahh.... I am
> your student!"
>
> http://tucorides.blogspot.com/2006/06/cycling-quotes.html

"I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." Nice and so true. I don't
commute to work by bike (though maybe I should), I don't go out and
ride somewhere on the weekends, the somewhere doesn't matter, I don't
ride for exercise as I actually exercise so I can ride (faster,
further, longer, etc).

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com">
> wrote:
>
>> See <http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/mountain/69er.html>.
>>
>> Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it
>> just a demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear
>> wheel provide any real advantage?

> Back in the day, Charlie Cunningham built MTBs with a smaller rear
> wheel- IIRC 20" rear and 26" front. Many dirt motorbikes have a smaller
> rear wheel. I have no idea why. Maybe Carl Fogel does, he used to ride
> trials and the like.
>
>> What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

> It's self-identification into a subset of a subset.
>
>> Are there prudish Trek dealers out there who will not carry this bike
>> because the name, or dealers who would be afraid of offending their
>> customers? Is the "69er" name meant to appeal to the BMX crowd who
>> buys products such as the "Snafu Rim Job" tires?

> It's the marketing technique of trying to be hip by naming your product
> with a vaguely prurient double entendre. Some marketing flack got a
> bonus for that. It was funny back when Scot Nicol did it at Ibis (the
> Toe Jam pump mounting peg, the Hand Job brake cable stop) but now it's
> just passé. Big manufacturers are always behind the times and their
> attempts to be hip are usually embarrassing.
>
>> Is the Waterloo, Wisconsin water supply contaminated with a parasite
>> that causes brain dysfunction?

> No, it's an infestation of marketing idiots.
>
>> Who exactly is the target market for this bike?

> People who want to look like they are riding an engineless motorcycle.

Yep. I always found Cove mountain bikes' names ridiculously juvenile and
will never buy one. Stiffee, Handjob, Hustler, Sanchez, G-Spot, Foreplay,
Playmate... I'm not kidding. If a teenage boy had 2K to drop on a bike,
that will probably be the bike. The same goes for Ellsworth and their
gothic marketing lifted off the corpse of Spooky Cycles.

On Aug 8, 4:25 pm, "Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Aug 6, 8:06 am, Corvus Corvax <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> To think I missed this flamewar!

> >>http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/article.php?ID=437&category=web_only

> >> Ride what you want. Life is good.

> >> CC

> > It's like the yule log. Looks hot, no heat, and I've got my feel up on
> > the ottoman.

> Scott,
> And one should take a feel up wherever one can get it!
> Kerry
>

> > "he got a gallon of
> > gas in a can, drove home, doused
> > everything in the house, torched it
> > parked across the street laughing
> > watching it burn, all Halloween
> > orange and chimney red
> > then Frank put on a top forty station
> > got on the Hollywood Freeway
> > headed north
> > Never could stand that dog"

> > /s- Hide quoted text -

How Freudian of me!

/s

"Anatomy is density."

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 07:59:34 -0400, Doug Taylor
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:49:41 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?

>Who knows? :)
>
>I like this version:

And this one shows up on the internet as a "Zen Proverb." God
>knows where it really comes from, but even anonymous it's a good one:
>
>A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market,
>riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had
>dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your
>bicycles?"
>The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of
>potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The
>teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow
>old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."
>The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass
>by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student,
>"Your eyes are open, and you see the world."
>The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to
>chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third
>student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."
>The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with
>all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth
>student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."
>The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The
>teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, "Ahh.... I am
>your student!"
>
>http://tucorides.blogspot.com/2006/06/cycling-quotes.html

Dear Doug,

A sixth student, often omitted from the parable because the Zen
teacher plonked him, replied, "I ride my bike because it allows me to
boast of my prowess, insist that racing means nothing, and call other
posters punks and poseurs."

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:51:11 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>Dear Doug,
>
>A sixth student, often omitted from the parable because the Zen
>teacher plonked him, replied, "I ride my bike because it allows me to
>boast of my prowess, insist that racing means nothing, and call other
>posters punks and poseurs."

Dear Carl:

As a (self appointed) Zen master and Guru, I have my own aphorisms:

"The quality of the performance is inversely proportional to the
quantity of its self-promotion."

"A roadie who doesn't also ride off-road has no soul. An off-roadie
who doesn't also ride on the road has no legs."

I'm sure you must have a few of your own. I'm all ears.

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:54:29 -0400, Doug Taylor
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:51:11 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Dear Doug,
>>
>>A sixth student, often omitted from the parable because the Zen
>>teacher plonked him, replied, "I ride my bike because it allows me to
>>boast of my prowess, insist that racing means nothing, and call other
>>posters punks and poseurs."

>Dear Carl:
>
>As a (self appointed) Zen master and Guru, I have my own aphorisms:
>
>"The quality of the performance is inversely proportional to the
>quantity of its self-promotion."
>
>"A roadie who doesn't also ride off-road has no soul. An off-roadie
>who doesn't also ride on the road has no legs."
>
>I'm sure you must have a few of your own. I'm all ears.

Dear Doug,

Koans are not quite the same as aphorisms . . .

http://www.ibiblio.org/zen/cgi-bin/koan-index.pl

***

Here are a few from "The Clipless Pedal," the bicycle-oriented sequel
to "The Gateless Gate."

***

"Master," asked a particularly annoying student, "what sound do you
make when you unclip from a clipless pedal?"

"It's like a threadless headset creaking, only louder," the Zen master
explained, giving the student a broken link to a YouTube video with no
sound.

***

A Zen student too poor to afford a bicycle pump complained to Joshu
that he had found a goathead sticking out of the side of his
still-inflated rear tire.

"You have wasted the goathead's other thorn," said Joshu, who had
either skipped his medication that morning or else needed to increase
the dosage.

The student sold his bicycle, used the money to buy a unicycle, and
became famous on RBT for his posts about chain wear.

***

A Zen student whose feet were a source of sorrow asked his master what
could be done to alleviate his suffering.

The master examined the student's cleats carefully. Then he glued them
to the student's helmet and said, "This will help you up hills."

The master had not been amused by comments about "fatty masters" and
did not want to encourage the student to complain about numb hands,
back pain, or uncomfortable seats.

***

Two Zen masters were sitting next to their bicycles on opposite sides
of a road in the rain.

"Is that a broken spoke?" the first master asked the other. "You are
welcome to use my spare spoke."

Being unwary, the second master accepted the generous offer, but found
that the spoke was of no value to him.

"This is a straight-pull spoke that will not fit my wheel," the second
master said, gritting his teeth.

"I had forgotten that," lied the first Zen master. "I always carry a
spare, even though they never fail."

"Thank you anyway," the other master replied, handing the useless
spoke back and muttering something about the other master's mother
under his breath. "Would you care to borrow my needle to repair your
tubular?"

The first Zen master was so surprised by this kind response to his
wicked behavior that he gladly accepted the needle. After he unsewed
his tubular, he was even more surprised to find that there was no
thread, no patches, and no glue to go with the needle.

"What good is a needle without thread?" he asked the second Zen
master.

"You can poke more holes in your tubular with it," the second Zen
master told him and began pushing his bike down the muddy road.

***

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

In article
<[email protected]>,
Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:49:41 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?

> Who knows? :)
>
> I like this version:

And this one shows up on the internet as a "Zen Proverb." God
> knows where it really comes from, but even anonymous it's a good one:
>
> A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market,
> riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had
> dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your
> bicycles?"
> The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of
> potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The
> teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow
> old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."
> The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass
> by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student,
> "Your eyes are open, and you see the world."
> The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to
> chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third
> student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."
> The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with
> all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth
> student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."
> The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The
> teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, "Ahh.... I am
> your student!"
>
> http://tucorides.blogspot.com/2006/06/cycling-quotes.html

In any respectable monastery that fifth `student' gets
one upside the head. Po faced toad eater.

--
Michael Press

[email protected] wrote:

<Something in eply to someone else>

But you're all wrong, anyway. There is only one reason to ride a bike,
and that is to feel the wheels going round. It doesn't matter whether
you are blasting down the road, rolling over rock gardens or playing in
the backyard on a toy your kids want to sell at the next yard-sale - it
is all about the wheels going round.
Period.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Aug 7, 1:44 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I think you're purposely ignoring the point that if you start with a
>> smoother line, unless it's way out of the way, you're going to go faster and
>> smoother when on your FS.

> The smoothest line isn't always the fastest line.
>
> But it's AALLLLWAAAAYYYYS the smoothest.
>
> Robert

The trail is only as smooth as the rider makes it!

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:06:29 -0700, Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
wrote:

> In article <op.twn1x4a3f3vmig@slacker>,
> ?Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:33:47 -0700, Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> <[email protected]>

>> > Have you ever had even a little bit of sex? :-D

>> Thanks for offer, but I don't swing that way.

> The answer's "no," then, or you'd have realized that what RonSonic wrote
> is quite true. Just because it's faster doesn't mean it's more fun.
> Remember that the first time you get laid.

Please don't publish your baby picture on the Net if you don't want to
found out --->
http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com/raptureready/images/signs_you_may_be_gay.jpg

--
Slack