I don't understand - what is this for?

> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:53:04 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 4, 6:02 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

>> If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.
>>
>> JD

> Dear JD,
>
> Why don't Tour de France riders use single speeds?
>
> Cheers,

Why don't they use 11-34 cogs and triple cranksets?

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <rSnti.348$mw4.286@trndny09>,
> Steve Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
>> tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

> From a plea for sanity and tolerance
> to mud-slinging in a single bound.

I don't think that was mud-slinging. More likely it was
self-deprecating group humor on the a.m-b side.

Greg

--

Steve Baker wrote:
> Michael Press wrote:
>> In article <rSnti.348$mw4.286@trndny09>,
>> Steve Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Why don't you ask a Trek dealer if it is selling? They'll be able to
>>> tell much better than this raggedy bunch can.

>> From a plea for sanity and tolerance to mud-slinging in a single bound.
>>

> I was referring to the rec.bike.* crowd - I know AM-B are FAR less
> well-dressed than "raggedy" could possibly imply. ;-)

Hahaha, I guess I was wrong.

Greg

--

Fred Clydesdale who? wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Interesting, I'm out of shape but I pass more people going up hills on
>> my fixed than on my geared bike. Either you're just plain old fitter
>> than those guys or you're full of ****.

> a little from column A, a little from column B...
>
> i think the problem most people with geared bikes have is that they
> tend to think "hill: first gear". that doesn't make it HURT any less,
> it just makes it hurt LONGER....

The force applied to the pedals does need to be kept down to a point
where the rider is still using anaerobic power if the climb is of any
length.

G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:53:04 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.
>>>
>>> JD

>> Dear JD,
>>
>> Why don't Tour de France riders use single speeds?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> Why don't they use 11-34 cogs and triple cranksets?

Hey, I resemble that remark! (At least on the 'bent - the ATB has an
11-32 cluster)

Fred Clydesdale wrote:

> i'm sure that for some people the simplicity is an attraction.
> me, not so much. maybe you're in that group. i'm also sure that
> for some people riding a fixie is just a way of saying "i'm
> OUT there".

No, for many it's a way of having fun. I'm not all that interested in
SS freewheel bikes but my fixed gear is FUN AS HELL in my local terrain.

If you want the opinion of a well-rounded and generally agnostic(*)
cyclist check out Sheldon's articles:
http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html

> maybe you're in that group. here's a test question:
> how do you feel about The Man trying to legislate the requirement
> for at least one brake on your surly, or soma, or whatever it
> is?

I differ greatly with JD on this but I think everyone should run at
least one brake with a fixed gear. I run both the original brakes on my
1980 Motobecane Jubilee Sport.

Greg

(*)Only regarding the religion of cycling.
--

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
>> Chalo wrote:
>>>
>>> If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
>>> kidding yourself.
>>>

>> Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and
>> on his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other
>> than downhill on the fixed).

> Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
> bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

No, but some of the guys are finishing top 5.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 18:34:46 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
>> Chalo wrote:
>>>
>>> If you think you wouldn't go a lot faster with some damn gears, you're
>>> kidding yourself.
>>>

>> Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and on
>> his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other than
>> downhill on the fixed).

>Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
>bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

Probably not. I have seen cyclocross races won on a single speed. That was a
fairly local event (Fla State Championship Series).

I don't know why the emphasis on racing, you don't see recumbents winning any
mountain bike races, but some people still think they're somehow fun or useful

Ron

Per Steve Baker:
>If you took off the Rohloff, then you probably halved the weight of the
>bike, Pete. ;-)

That's no joke. Furshlugginer thing makes for a rear wheel that
must weigh 8 pounds.
--
PeteCresswell

RonSonic WHO? wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 18:34:46 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> G.T. aka Greg Thomas who? wrote:
>>>>
>>> Having ridden my multi-geared bikes with the freak on his MTB SS and on
>>> his road fixeds I'd say I doubt that he could go any faster (other than
>>> downhill on the fixed).

>> Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or single-speed
>> bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

> Probably not. I have seen cyclocross races won on a single speed. That was a
> fairly local event (Fla State Championship Series).
>
> I don't know why the emphasis on racing,...

Er, the discussion was about the relative performance of single-speed
and/or fixed gear MTB's verses geared MTB's. Since the goal of racing is
to be the fastest, racing results would appear to provide some
indication of relative performance.

> you don't see recumbents winning any
> mountain bike races, but some people still think they're somehow fun or useful[.]

Class, can we say RED HERRING?

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> RonSonic WHO? wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 18:34:46 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Have any professional level MTB races been won on fixed or
>>> single-speed bikes? (Actual, not rhetorical, question)

>> Probably not. I have seen cyclocross races won on a single speed. That
>> was a
>> fairly local event (Fla State Championship Series).
>> I don't know why the emphasis on racing,...

> Er, the discussion was about the relative performance of single-speed
> and/or fixed gear MTB's verses geared MTB's. Since the goal of racing is
> to be the fastest, racing results would appear to provide some
> indication of relative performance.
>
>> you don't see recumbents winning any
>> mountain bike races, but some people still think they're somehow fun
>> or useful[.]

> Class, can we say RED HERRING?

hypocrite!

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
>> RonSonic WHO? wrote:

>>> Probably not. I have seen cyclocross races won on a single speed.
>>> That was a
>>> fairly local event (Fla State Championship Series).
>>> I don't know why the emphasis on racing,...

>> Er, the discussion was about the relative performance of single-speed
>> and/or fixed gear MTB's verses geared MTB's. Since the goal of racing
>> is to be the fastest, racing results would appear to provide some
>> indication of relative performance.
>>
>>> you don't see recumbents winning any
>>> mountain bike races, but some people still think they're somehow fun
>>> or useful[.]

>> Class, can we say RED HERRING?
>>

> hypocrite!

Anonymous, sniping, capital letter deficient, TROLL!

(Hey, this is fun!)

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 17:49:58 -0700, Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "jim beam" wrote:
>> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:

>>> Class, can we say RED HERRING?
>>>

>> hypocrite!

> Anonymous, sniping, capital letter deficient, TROLL!
>
> (Hey, this is fun!)

Now you know why we do it, Numb-nuts.
--
Slack - hey, this *is* fun

On Aug 5, 4:21 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 12:33 am, Fred Clydesdale <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
> > a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless. i pass at least 5 fixies
> > a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
> > happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
> > sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
> > up those hills. i had somebody on one of those ultra hip surly
> > fixies chase me DOWN a hill one time, but he disappeared
> > at the halfway point when it threw its chain. i have no idea if
> > he hurt himself but it made an extremely entertaining noise.

> > sometimes technology marches on for no apparent reason, but the
> > derailleur was invented to fix a very real problem. so the whole
> > derailleur/shifter/cassette system adds a couple of pounds to
> > the total: it gets you where you're going faster and with less
> > effort.

> > i'm sure there are a few very specialized areas of competition
> > where these things are used. i, however, use my bike for
> > recreation and transportation.

> I'm a Clydesdale as well and I use my fixed gear for recreation and
> transportation too. I pass people all the time up and down hills no
> matter what bike I'm on. I also get passed by people up and down
> hills. Performance isn't about the bike. The main reason they exist is
> they are fun. Lots of folks appreciate this, and I guess a lot more
> folks just (erroneously) think it makes them cool. The fact that some
> idiots use them by no means makes the bikes idiotic. I've never tried
> a single speed MTB, but some guys I know use them almost exclusively
> and I take they do it for fun and don't really care if they ultimately
> would be faster with a multi-speed bike.

It (both singlespeed and fixed gear) is fun. It's
different. I expect that I am faster on a geared
bike, but I'm faster in a car than on a bicycle,
and that doesn't mean I give up bicycles for cars.
I have had one and multi gear bikes in both
road and MTB and see no reason to give any of them
up as they serve marginally different purposes.
The ones without gear shifts are simpler and there
is one less thing to think about. Sometimes that
is what I want. In the case of MTBs, which have
gotten technologically more and more complicated
(like most other things I deal with on a daily
basis), simplicity has an appeal. It's different,
not necessarily better; that is all.

Ben

In article <[email protected]>,
"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:53:04 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.
> >>
> >> JD

> > Dear JD,
> >
> > Why don't Tour de France riders use single speeds?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> Why don't they use 11-34 cogs and triple cranksets?

Because they are not fully loaded tourers.

A pro-cyclist gearing _plus_ a 24 cog granny gear is an
excellent choice for some of us.

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
"[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:

> It (both singlespeed and fixed gear) is fun. It's
> different. I expect that I am faster on a geared
> bike, but I'm faster in a car than on a bicycle,
> and that doesn't mean I give up bicycles for cars.
> I have had one and multi gear bikes in both
> road and MTB and see no reason to give any of them
> up as they serve marginally different purposes.

Sure, bikes are bikes, 'n they're all good.

> The ones without gear shifts are simpler and there
> is one less thing to think about. Sometimes that
> is what I want. In the case of MTBs, which have
> gotten technologically more and more complicated
> (like most other things I deal with on a daily
> basis), simplicity has an appeal. It's different,
> not necessarily better; that is all.

May you continue to ride all your variously config'd
bikes with joy, despite the tongue-clucking &
head-shaking of some folks.

"C'mon people now, smile on your brother,
Everbody get together, try and love one another
right now."

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Fred Clydesdale wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com"> wrote:
>
>> Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it just a
>> demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear wheel
>> provide any real advantage?
>>
>> What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

>> Who exactly is the target market for this bike?

> personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
> a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless. i pass at least 5 fixies
> a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
> happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
> sake.

Damn. Tonight I passed a 'bent trike on a flat bike path going into a
headwind.

'bents must be slow and inefficient! Q.E.D.

Greg

--

On Aug 5, 12:29 pm, "GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On Aug 5, 9:59 am, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Put the banjo down and go ride your bike.

> >> JD

> > Anything you say, asshole.

> Nice come back. You must have put a lot of thought into it.

That was just a confirmation is all, G.

JD

On Aug 5, 3:29 pm, Fred Clydesdale <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>

> JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 4, 3:33 pm, Fred Clydesdale <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
> > > a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless.

> > We can't all be closed-minded dumbasses.

> > > i pass at least 5 fixies
> > > a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
> > > happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
> > > sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
> > > up those hills.

> > C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
> > inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
> > loaded with punks and poseurs.

> > JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass

> yah, okay. no more red bull for you, d00d.

You must have me confused with someone else.

> i'm sure that for some people the simplicity is an attraction.
> me, not so much. maybe you're in that group. i'm also sure that
> for some people riding a fixie is just a way of saying "i'm
> OUT there". maybe you're in that group. here's a test question:
> how do you feel about The Man trying to legislate the requirement
> for at least one brake on your surly, or soma, or whatever it
> is?

I don't care what you think, but it is rather amusing. As far as the
man's rules, I really don't care what they legislate.

JD

On Aug 5, 4:04 pm, Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:45:31 -0700, JD wrote:
> > C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
> > inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
> > loaded with punks and poseurs.

> I ride with a few people who have both geared and SS road bikes, and
> may come out on either. They say that the spinning and grinding required
> on a SS is good training, and they may well be right, but overall they're
> much slower on the SS, and get tired more quickly.
>
> Unless you're riding with people weaker than yourself, it's inconsiderate
> to slow down the group - IMHO they should save the SS for solo rides.

Sounds like you ride with punks and poseurs. Maybe you should ride
solo?

JD