I don't want black tires anymore!

melanie610

Jan 7, 2006
Alright, I haven't been cycling for TOO long, so I have never changed my tires and really have never read up on what's good, what works, how to do this or that. BUT I would like to change them to some fun colored tires. I am looking at the Michelin Pro Race, the folded tire.

A) What exactly do I need to know about these tires?

B) Do I need specific materials to change them and/or specific rims?

Thanks!

A. They can be tough to install. No special tools. Just patience. They are good solid, durable tires. I ride over all kinds of **** (not entirely on purpose) and have yet to get a flat.

B. No special rims, or "materials." They just .. work.

I have 3 pairs. Until they start failing, I'm sticking with them. I am your average recreational rider though I ride strong, hard and long. Don't race, so I can't speak to race-specific performance.

My set required significant stretching before installation. I had trouble getting them to seat initially, but they're pretty easy to remove and replace now.

melanie610 said:
Alright, I haven't been cycling for TOO long, so I have never changed my tires and really have never read up on what's good, what works, how to do this or that. BUT I would like to change them to some fun colored tires. I am looking at the Michelin Pro Race, the folded tire.

A) What exactly do I need to know about these tires?

B) Do I need specific materials to change them and/or specific rims?

Thanks!
A) The Pro Race 2 is Michelin's racing tire....just like the name says. It's a fine tire, but is designed for grip and low rolling resistance, not the ultimate in puncture resistance or long tread life. They ride and work fine for normal riding, but in my experience, you'll have to replace them more often. And, like other good tires, they don't come cheap.

Michelin make other tires intended to last longer for normal recreational riding. You can check their website to see the mix of characteristics each of their tires has.

B) All you need to change them is a set of tire levers (2 or 3) and a pump.

I have a blue Felt.
I bought Conti GP4000 tyres.
Blue ones, 'cause the bike is blue. :D

I won a Vittoria training tire as a door prize once (so happens it was yellow, but I see blue on the performance web site right now). I put the thing on and used it on the trainer all winter, plus outside in the nasty wet and grit. The thing is fine to this day - wore like iron and never got a flat. It was very difficult to put on - took both myself and my husband to pull the thing over my rim, so I'm glad I never had to take it off.