I drive my car like my bike...

Klein

Apr 1, 2003
I drive my car like my bike:

--> Try to maximize fuel efficiency just like you do on a bike by:

--> Anticipate and watch closely for stops or decelerations ahead

--> Try to minimize use of brake (downshifting doesn't count)

--> Don't panic and over-accelerate when a vehicle in front of you accelrates. Pull yourself back to safe following distance slowly and consistently

--> Don't draft, though!!!!!

Try it. It's fun! See how many miles you can get out of a tank of gas. You really won't get to your destination any slower.

->I drive behind other cars that are accelerating then slingshot off them as if going for a bunch sprint:D

->I also drive as if im in a bunch ie leave a 2cm gap between/next to my car and another car. Scares the cr@p outta the passenger and other driver.

I generally do this subconsciously and don't realise til my mum/sister/younger brother/father starts abusing me:D

try the first one, try to avoid the second one:cool:

Jonny

- I would like to try and "Bunny Hop" over potholes :D

- Wonder what my Heart Rate would be in a "Bunch" :p

- Where should I put my Waterbottles?

be sure to wear your helmet, gloves, shorts/bibs, and jersey.

I would not recommend clipping in, however, especially if you drive a car with a manual transmission.

Hmm, automatic tranny for my bike..... Nah, that's another thread.

Originally posted by Klein

--> Try to minimize use of brake (downshifting doesn't count)

--> Don't panic and over-accelerate when a vehicle in front of you accelrates. Pull yourself back to safe following distance slowly and consistently

--> Don't draft, though!!!!!

Try it. It's fun! See how many miles you can get out of a tank of gas. You really won't get to your destination any slower.

I always draft on the freeway. I always try to find a convenient simi to draft off of.

other tips:

Never run the AC, it just wastes energy.

Never drive with the windows open as it creates drag. Instead just use the vent fan.

And the number one tip for better mileage: don't use the car for short trips. ride your bike instead. If you can avoid stop and go in town driving you will get much better mileage.

Originally posted by Klein

With around 10 years of experience of city riding, I can't stand riding in a car with someone who puts their foot down on the pedal when they're looking at a red light right ahead. Stop and start again dozens and dozens of times for red lights on a bike and it's painfully obvious how much each full stop costs you, especially if you go for quick acceleration up to full speed every time.

Well that seems like enough ranting for the day...

Originally posted by drmullins
With around 10 years of experience of city riding, I can't stand riding in a car with someone who puts their foot down on the pedal when they're looking at a red light right ahead. Stop and start again dozens and dozens of times for red lights on a bike and it's painfully obvious how much each full stop costs you, especially if you go for quick acceleration up to full speed every time.

Well that seems like enough ranting for the day...
Well, I'm the other way around. I absolutely cannot stand dawdling. Anywhere. Driving, riding, walking, whatever. Stuff efficiency. I'd much rather stop+wait+start all the time than just toddle along.

But then I also wish I could ride my bike like I drive my car... unfortunately the engine just doesn't produce the desired acceleration and the handling's a bit sloppy. ;)

My car is my handle. I drive a Honda Insight gasoline/electirc hybrid.

I tend to drive my car like I drive my bike. Mainly I don't want to waste what little power I can produce with my body so I know that accelerating up a hill takes a lot of extra power.

In my car I see how much my gas consumption goes up when I go up a hill. Accelerating sucks more gas yet. Just as I drive my car for best economy I see the comparison to the way I ride my bike.

Try moving your weight around in a car to corner faster.

At least in a car you never hit the pedals on the ground. :D

i've got a stationary car set up at the gym. i just go and sit in it and make hand gestures at other gym users. did 50k in my stationary car today. was a breeze. sat back and watched mtv. nice. try and similate road conditions by ploughing into the spinning class (i just didn't see them) :)

i drive like i ride, fast & gotta be up front the LT1 modified 350
with 3:73 gears & catback exhaust works good, them low
riders with fart pipes & front wheel drive get dropped
every time.