I finally got my Rhoades Car fixed so I can tell you guys how it rides

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Russell Kanning, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. I recently bought a used Rhoades Car which needed a few repairs like a new wheel. I want to use my
    bike for errands/commuting and social riding, so I have been looking at large trikes and quads like
    the ones Lightfoot Cycle offers. I want to be able to carry plenty of cargo so I am giving up the
    speed that most of you guys enjoy. As you all know these cycles can be very expensive, so I jumped
    at a used quad that was lingering in a Phoenix garage. Since many people want to know what a quad
    rides like I will give you a sample of my experience. First I employ the almost eternal 'bent grin I
    can't help it. Kids on scooters/bikes/trikes stop and stare and say 'cool bike' and beg for rides
    (my quad has 2 seats). The little kids can't reach the pedals so sometimes they stand on the back
    bumper and hold on to the seats for balance. I have already had 5 passengers on my bike so far. It
    can hold 1000 lbs so that is my only limit. They keep thinking of new ways to ride the bike. A girl
    yesterday sat on the front bumper and tried to pedal with me backwards! It didn't work well :( The
    older kids say 'tight ride' and it is all around good fun. When I drive my bike to the basketball
    court, I can't keep the kids off the bike while I play :) I have to warn them about the long messy
    chain and have to put all the shifters back in position before I back up or try to pedal away. The
    bike is seriously slow, but I am getting a little faster and need to keep tweeking the bike. Mine
    fits 2 people and we each have seperate freewheels and gears so the passenger can help me as much as
    they want and at their own cadence. They have 2 sets of 6 gears so it has a pretty good range. I
    need stump pulling gears when I am stopped uphill and loaded. My quad is not the most efficient one
    out there probably. I really like Lightfoot's models, but they were even more expensive. All you
    trike guys know how nice it is not having to balance your bike or take your feet off the pedals and
    going downhill is fun! I only wish I had suspension. Speed bumps are cruel since I can't avoid them
    like my old bike. For some reason most Rhoades Car owners seem to 'selling' the cycle not just
    explaining, so I hope I can be helpful. I know I had a lot of unanswered questions before I picked
    up my bike. Lots of people want to know where to get one of these, but I know they are just curious.
    They would not actually buy one, so why should I try to get a commission off of them, this is all
    just fun. Some kids say they will ask their parents for a 4 wheeled bike next time. I don't have the
    heart to tell them that a trike or quad is $1500-$4000 or more. I also am using all the commuter
    tricks to make my quad look nasty and unfit to steal. It is big and 120lbs, but I left all the flaws
    from the last owner (dog chewed armrests etc.) and even replaced the banana'ed wheel with a mag so
    it doesn't look expensive. But the kids love it and I don't have to baby the thing worrying about
    the paint and such. The novelty of the bike will wear off in the neighborhood, but I know I smile at
    'bent riders still, so the fun will continue. Russell

    Tags:

  2. "Russell Kanning wrote
    > I recently bought a used Rhoades Car which needed a few repairs like a new wheel. I want to use my
    > bike for errands/commuting and social riding, so I have been looking at large trikes and quads
    > like the ones Lightfoot Cycle offers. I want to be able to carry plenty of cargo so I am giving up
    > the speed that most of you guys enjoy. As you all know these cycles can be very expensive, so I
    > jumped at a used quad that was lingering in a
    <snip> I've been riding Lightfoot trikes for 5 years and enjoy driving them for loaded touring and
    fitness as well as supporting my car-free lifestyle. My main ride can be seen @
    http://community.webshots.com/user/barrydavidson I should be unpacking my new quad (Lightfoot
    Microcar) very shortly. I plan to use it for an in-town utility vehicle where I can pick up the wife
    AND the groceries. My dog helps pull my trikes in town and it will be the same with the quad. It's
    the same width as the trikes (42") and I will set up the cargo area same as my Courier. The
    passenger seat will be removable for when I pick up long items (lumber, pipes etc.) @ Home Depot. I
    may even try it touring! Barry Davidson "There is more to life than increasing it's speed." -Gandhi
    --
    Cyclotec HPV--Recumbent Bikes Trikes and Quads 'Canadian dealer for Lightfoot Cycles'
    www.lightfootcycles.com 548 Albert St. Peterborough ON CA K9J 4N7 Ph.705 749 2859 [email protected]

    TransportationCyclist --cycling as primary transportation

  3. >"Barry Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message I've been riding Lightfoot trikes for 5 years
    >and enjoy driving them for loaded touring and fitness as well as supporting my car-free lifestyle.
    They sure do look very useful. I am thinking about getting a 'pedalcab' from them if I move near a
    tourist center.

    > My dog helps pull my trikes in town and it will be the same with the quad.
    The neighborhood kids do like to push my car down the road, but they don't have the endurance or
    the loyalty of a dog to get me places without pedaling ;) I would have to supply treats every
    block. :) Russell

  4. Barry I saw your Warsaw pics and that gravel road in Dummer Twnsp...what tires & p.s.i. are you
    using on your Delta. Also can one cycle from Lindsay to Peterborough on the Jackson Park Rail Trail
    (does it extend all the way to Lindsay)??
    -------------------------------
    "Barry Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Russell Kanning wrote
    > > I recently bought a used Rhoades Car which needed a few repairs like a new wheel. I want to use
    > > my bike for errands/commuting and social riding, so I have been looking at large trikes and
    > > quads like the ones Lightfoot Cycle offers. I want to be able to carry plenty of cargo so I am
    > > giving up the speed that most of you guys enjoy. As you all know these cycles can be very
    > > expensive, so I jumped at a used quad that was lingering in a
    > <snip> I've been riding Lightfoot trikes for 5 years and enjoy driving them for loaded touring and
    > fitness as well as supporting my car-free lifestyle. My main ride can be seen @
    http://community.webshots.com/user/barrydavidson
    > I should be unpacking my new quad (Lightfoot Microcar) very shortly. I plan to use it for an
    > in-town utility vehicle where I can pick up the
    wife
    > AND the groceries. My dog helps pull my trikes in town and it will be the same with the quad. It's
    > the same width as the trikes (42") and I will
    set
    > up the cargo area same as my Courier. The passenger seat will be
    removable
    > for when I pick up long items (lumber, pipes etc.) @ Home Depot. I may
    even
    > try it touring! Barry Davidson "There is more to life than increasing it's speed." -Gandhi
    > --
    > Cyclotec HPV--Recumbent Bikes Trikes and Quads 'Canadian dealer for Lightfoot Cycles'
    > www.lightfootcycles.com 548 Albert St. Peterborough ON CA K9J 4N7 Ph.705 749 2859
    > [email protected]
    >
    > TransportationCyclist --cycling as primary transportation

  5. Gary Herbst

    Gary Herbst Guest

    [email protected] (Russell Kanning) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >"Barry Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message I've been riding Lightfoot trikes for 5
    > >years and enjoy driving them for loaded touring and fitness as well as supporting my car-free
    > >lifestyle.
    > They sure do look very useful. I am thinking about getting a 'pedalcab' from them if I move near a
    > tourist center.
    >
    > > My dog helps pull my trikes in town and it will be the same with the quad.
    > The neighborhood kids do like to push my car down the road, but they don't have the endurance or
    > the loyalty of a dog to get me places without pedaling ;) I would have to supply treats every
    > block. :) Russell

    Just saw my first Rhoades car Sat. the 28 in Columbus, OH at the Comm. Fest. Really neat. It was a 4
    person with more chain and gears than I have ever seen. It was being riden by a family very slowly
    on flat land. Looked like fun. GBENTH

  6. "Joshua Goldberg"wrote:
    > Barry I saw your Warsaw pics and that gravel road in Dummer Twnsp...what tires & p.s.i. are you
    > using on your
    Delta.> -------------------------------

    The 20' front tire is a Flatlander 90PSI. Good tire , a bit heavy but lasts forever. On the rear I
    usually use 26" IRC Metro Duros 100 PSI but right now I'm running Kenda Kwest 65 PSI. It's a tougher
    tire but slower. Last year when I was touring fully loaded, I had a brand new Duro blowout and put a
    hole in the side (sidewalls are pretty thin), so thought I'd try something else. We don't have a
    large selection of tires to choose from in a small city. Someday I'll order some Schwalbes on the
    net. The long wheel base of the trike gives me a certain amt of suspension so I prefer HP tires for
    low rolling resistance. I do about 25-30% dirt roads.

    >Also can one cycle from Lindsay to Peterborough on the Jackson Park Rail Trail (does it extend all
    >the way to Lindsay)??
    Yes. The RR trestle just west of Orange Corners has been resurfaced and is now open. From
    Peterborough to Atchison Rd there is crushed limestone. After that it's double-track, a bit rough in
    places. In Lindsay the Victoria railtrail is very nice going through Fenelon Falls north to Kinmount
    and beyond. Rode it 2 yrs ago.

    Barry Davidson
    --
    "There is more to life than increasing it's speed." -Gandhi
    --
    Cyclotec HPV--Recumbent Bikes Trikes and Quads 'Canadian dealer for Lightfoot Cycles'
    www.lightfootcycles.com 548 Albert St. Peterborough ON CA K9J 4N7 Ph.705 749 2859 [email protected]
    --
    Be Visible...Be Predictable...Be Aware Obey the rules of the road

  7. [email protected] (Gary Herbst) wrote in message
    > Just saw my first Rhoades car Sat. the 28 in Columbus, OH at the Comm. Fest. Really neat. It was a
    > 4 person with more chain and gears than I have ever seen. It was being riden by a family very
    > slowly on flat land. Looked like fun. GBENTH

    The 4 person would be neat, but I don't think I would use it much. The rear passengers don't
    pedal either :( It would be very slow going uphill. Yea, my bike has 36 gears so it does look
    a little crazy. I had 5 kids and a dog on the cycle today, with other kids shooting us with
    water hoses. You should see us skid to a stop on wet pavement and kids hanging on for dear
    life. Russell