I Finished My First 15-Mile Ride Today!

KDE, those bikes look amazing. I wish I could afford one. I haven't even seen one at any gym I've been to. I'll have to bring it up to the gym manager that I currently go to /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Sierra, you are an inspiration. I'm just getting back on my bike after a nasty crash last summer. (broken collar bone required a titanium plate and 15 screws to put humpty dumpty back together again). At any rate I was hoping for a little advice. Now that I'm biking again, my sister wants to join me. She has always been heavy so for her to even agree to ride with me is a huge step. She probably weighs between 280 - 300lbs. (she would never tell me) I'm looking to buy her a bike for her birthday so she can start shedding those pounds but I have no idea what kind of bike to get her. As a motivation she has actually signed up with me to do a 300 mile ride in September so I have between now and then to get her in shape. I'm willing to buy her a nice bike but I'm afraid that if I buy her something nice and then she starts breaking spokes or something it would just totally demoralize her. Any tips you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Rhino,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thank you so much! I needed to hear that today, as I'm going through a rough time right now. I really appreciate it. And congratulations on getting back on your bike after such a nasty accident! That's inspiring to ME.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I weighed 285 when I started, so I was right where your sister is. I, too, was freaked out about what bike to get, worried that I would break spokes or even the frame if I didn't get the right bike. I asked the friends here what bike to get, and they were so encouraging and helpful! I was basically told that almost any well-made bike would do. It was suggested that I stay away from the cheapest kind found at Walmart, etc., but that any major brand like Trek, Raleigh, Specialized, Canondale, etc. would be fine at my weight. The most important thing was to get a wheel with a lot of spokes, because they distribute the weight. Wheels with 36 or more spokes were suggested. It was also suggested that even if carbon frames were in my price range (they weren't, lol), that they're not the best for heavy riders because they're so brittle, but either aluminum or steel would be fine. (Oh, and I was also told that even skinny riders break spokes once in a while, so it can having nothing to do with weight at all. That might help with her embarrassment if it happens to her.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I ended up with a Raleigh Calispel I-8 with an 8-speed internal gear hub for $425. I LOVE this bike and how easy the gear hub makes shifting and maintenance! I also liked the Marin San Anselmo when I tried that one, and liked several Cannondales. My final choice ended up being the Raleigh because I have longer-than-normal legs for a woman, and it simply fit me better. The fit, as you probably know, is the most crucial part. No matter what bike you get your sister, she won't love it if it doesn't fit her well. So a trip to the bike shop for her is mandatory, or her biking career will be really short. But make sure she understands that how the bike feels under her is wayyyy more important than how pretty it is. (That was a hurdle I had to get over, lol.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Tell your sister for me that biking to lose weight is one of the smartest moves she can make -- and I got that from a bariatric surgeon who specializes in helping morbidly obese people lose weight. If she's as out of shape as I was, her thighs will KILL her the first few weeks, but that does eventually go away and then she can bike for miles and miles without any discomfort at all. So tell her to start slow with short mileage, and work her way up gradually. Make sure she has a helmet and padded biking shorts and, above all, the right saddle for her. But other than that, just make sure she's having FUN with it. I started out not even measuring how far I was going, just riding along a neighborhood bike trail until I got tired, and then coming back home. My first ride was less than a mile, but I loved it. Tell her she can burn 500 calories an hour doing what's FUN instead of sweating at the gym, and that if she allows her body to work up to its potential, that this will become so addictive she'll never regain her weight. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I am actually excited FOR her, because I know how incredibly helpful cycling will be in her quest to get healthy. And having you as her mentor is a double blessing. Feel free to contact me again or have your sister IM me. I'm thrilled for her, and proud of you for helping her.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Way to go, BOTH of you!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra [/COLOR]

Originally Posted by Rhino40 .

Sierra, you are an inspiration. I'm just getting back on my bike after a nasty crash last summer. (broken collar bone required a titanium plate and 15 screws to put humpty dumpty back together again). At any rate I was hoping for a little advice. Now that I'm biking again, my sister wants to join me. She has always been heavy so for her to even agree to ride with me is a huge step. She probably weighs between 280 - 300lbs. (she would never tell me) I'm looking to buy her a bike for her birthday so she can start shedding those pounds but I have no idea what kind of bike to get her. As a motivation she has actually signed up with me to do a 300 mile ride in September so I have between now and then to get her in shape. I'm willing to buy her a nice bike but I'm afraid that if I buy her something nice and then she starts breaking spokes or something it would just totally demoralize her. Any tips you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 64Paramount
Thanks to everyone on this thread and others for your advice and kind words. Sierra, I see a new career as a motivational speaker for you :) I went in and spoke to a lady at my LBS (she actually sold me my MTB or as I like to call it, "bone crusher" and low and behold she used to be heavy as well, you would never know it to look at her now. At any rate she is empathetic to my sisters situation and so has promised to take extra good care of her. She is even ordering in some plus sized bike shorts and knickers just for her. The bike she recommended without meeting my sister is the Trek Lexa LS triple
http://trekaf.com/product/trek-lexa-sl-triple-73111-1.htm
She said it would handle the weight no problem but it is still light enough and yes, even pretty enough that my sister will like it. So we have set the date. On Feb 15th I am kidnapping my sister for what she thinks is a lunch date and instead we are heading to the bike store. I think she will be so surprised. ( we will get lunch after) I'm going to outfit her with the bike, the shoes, the padded pants, the helmet, some cool sunglasses the whole nine yards. I can't Waite :)

PS> Sierra, just so you know, men like pretty bikes too. Sure, we will stand around bikes and grunt in a manly fashion and tell you all about why we went for the bike we did because the crank set was 10grams lighter or the frame was carbon fiber, but really we wanted the bike that looks the most like the bat mobile or possibly a fighter jet. Tell us the bike can be outfitted with an after market flux capacitor and we are sold. Yet one more piece of evidence that boys never really grow up.

Here is the one I'm buying :)

http://trekaf.com/product/trek-madone-3.1-73935-1.htm

The flux capacitor mounts to the upright water bottle cage lugs. Now if I can just get this baby up to 88 miles an hour.

Rhino,

You crack me UP! I nearly spewed my coffee on the computer when I read about the flux capacitor. Now I know why Dear Hubby chose the bike he did. I love it!!!

Your sister is one lucky sibling. That bike you're buying her is gorgeous -- and to outfit her with the clothing and everything else required is just going so far beyond the norm it almost leaves me speechless. And by the way, that bike shop you found deserves a place in the Hall of Fame. Anyplace where they will voluntarily order in special sizes for specific customers will always HAVE customers, and lots of them. It's hard to find that kind of business savvy these days. They would be my one and only place to shop, were I your sister. (Speaking of which, I'm available for adoption, lol. Both my brothers are older than me -- and both are moochers who want me to support THEM and their families financially so they can collect welfare and watch TV all day.)

Just a word of warning for your sister, bike-clothing wise. Since she wasn't there for the sales lady to take measurements, ordering plus-size garments still may not result in a fit. I originally ordered the largest plus-size biking clothes I could find, which were size ***. In regular clothes, I was wearing XX and ***, which amounts to about a size 22-24, and they fit fine. It turns out that cycling clothing is WAYYYYY differen in sizing. A *** jersey in cycling wear is a size FOURTEEN. I couldn't even get it on! That was pretty demoralizing, and I shed a few tears those first weeks while trying to find jerseys and capris to fit in the cycling lines. I finally had to go to wearing MEN's cycling clothes, because they come in larger sizes. That takes some adjusting, too, because obviously they're cut differently, and tend to have more room in the waist and less in the booty area. So it may take your sister a while to see what works for her. I did my first 3 months of cycling in jeans and a T-shirt because I couldn't find cycling clothes that fit. I loved it, just the same, and so can she. I really am excited for her!

YOUR bike, Rhino, is just plain s-e-x-y. I've always loved the look of the Madones. You and your sister are gonna be stylin'!

Please keep us posted on how it goes for the two of you. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when she sees that bike. I'm smiling, just thinking about it. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

Sierra

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= #0000ff]We're leaving Monday for Phoenix for a couple weeks, so will be looking for beginner bike trails in that area. He helpfully points out that there are bike trails over the mountains there.... but since I've never done anything but flat terrain, I doubt that I'm ready for that yet. I need to find some 'molehills' here in this area to practice on, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It's supposed to actually be sunny for several days in a row, now, so I can't wait to get back on her![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a good one, y'all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]
Right in the middle of Phoenix you have North Phoenix Preserve and Phoenix Mountains Preserve/Piestwa Peak Park. I stayed near there for a couple of weeks in the middle of last year and there seemed to be a bunch of trails around there that I could see from my hotel. Unfortunately, due to work/course demands, I didn't get out to check them out but it looked like there was something in there that'd be fun to ride - as long as you avoid the big hill in the middle ;)

If you're having issues of the rear kind and are looking for a different saddle - Terry make some nice womens specific models and were the first company to specialize in womens specific bike kit. Specialized have some womens specific saddles too.

The flux capacitor mounts to the upright water bottle cage lugs. Now if I can just get this baby up to 88 miles an hour.

I found it better to make the frame a little longer and got the FC to replace the seat tube. Not sure what the wife will say about missing half the dining room table but I wanted to go for the Miafia Boss meets beach cruiser look... 1000W transfered via the mystic ether to motor in the back wheel.

There's a slight issue with that power transfer in the rain. The 'ol boys' get zapped from time to time...

I machined the chainring from the center of some pimp daddy's custom car wheels. Lowrider all the way baby...

Thanks to everyone on this thread and others for your advice and kind words. Sierra, I see a new career as a motivational speaker for you :) I went in and spoke to a lady at my LBS (she actually sold me my MTB or as I like to call it, "bone crusher" and low and behold she used to be heavy as well, you would never know it to look at her now. At any rate she is empathetic to my sisters situation and so has promised to take extra good care of her. She is even ordering in some plus sized bike shorts and knickers just for her. The bike she recommended without meeting my sister is the Trek Lexa LS triple
http://trekaf.com/product/trek-lexa-sl-triple-73111-1.htm
She said it would handle the weight no problem but it is still light enough and yes, even pretty enough that my sister will like it. So we have set the date. On Feb 15th I am kidnapping my sister for what she thinks is a lunch date and instead we are heading to the bike store. I think she will be so surprised. ( we will get lunch after) I'm going to outfit her with the bike, the shoes, the padded pants, the helmet, some cool sunglasses the whole nine yards. I can't Waite :)

PS> Sierra, just so you know, men like pretty bikes too. Sure, we will stand around bikes and grunt in a manly fashion and tell you all about why we went for the bike we did because the crank set was 10grams lighter or the frame was carbon fiber, but really we wanted the bike that looks the most like the bat mobile or possibly a fighter jet. Tell us the bike can be outfitted with an after market flux capacitor and we are sold. Yet one more piece of evidence that boys never really grow up.

Here is the one I'm buying :)

http://trekaf.com/product/trek-madone-3.1-73935-1.htm

Good on you, Rhino!

That's a wonderful thing you are doing for your sis and that Madone sure looks sweet... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Edited to add: Swampy your bike looks pretty cool too.......for dry weather only though! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Well done slim, I find it very difficult to cycle in such weather so I take my hat of to you. I have done a couple of 30 mile races, one 55mile and one 70mile race since the start of the year, but lucky/not so luck for me it is summer over here. Got very bad sunburn with the 70mile.

Its always difficult to start early in the year right after the holidays. Keep up the good work and hope that you have a few sunny days coming your way.

Sierra: LOL, consider yourself an honorary family member, the reunion is in July. Our family slogan is: welcome to the reunion where we put the "fun" in "disfunctional" :)

That is really good advice about the clothing. I'm hoping that Kris "thats the lady at the LBS" will have an appreciation for the size of bike clothes my sister will need. I have one other question for you. When you started biking did you go right in for the clip in shoes or did you just use normal peddals? I'm a big fan of clip in shoes but I think everybody has at least one time where they can seem to remember how to unclip and they just timber over like a tree. I dont' want that to happen to her. If your a skinny kit and that happens, well it's just funny, but if your a 50ish person with a real weight problem you could really get hurt. That said, It is so much easier to get power and distance out of your bike when you are clipped in. I'm a little torn on this one.

Well, my next update will likely be after the big day, I will let you know how it goes.

Take care and keep on peddaling :)

Swampy,

That bike may be the sexiest thing I've seen since my honeymoon! A-w-e-s-o-m-e. (And thanks for the Phoenix links. Will check them out next time I'm there.)

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Quote: Originally Posted by Rhino40 .

I found it better to make the frame a little longer and got the FC to replace the seat tube. Not sure what the wife will say about missing half the dining room table but I wanted to go for the Miafia Boss meets beach cruiser look... 1000W transfered via the mystic ether to motor in the back wheel.

There's a slight issue with that power transfer in the rain. The 'ol boys' get zapped from time to time...

I machined the chainring from the center of some pimp daddy's custom car wheels. Lowrider all the way baby...

Hi, Guy!

Thanks a bunch! It is a nice goal to finally reach for me, but it's just the first of many goals I have, so will work at hard at catching up to you and your 30 miles next. Way to go!

We are finally having a week of sunshine, and -- wouldn't you know -- I wrecked my bike and Dear Hubby is out of state, so I need to find a way to get it to the LBS. Will work on that quick. It's supposed to start raining again on Monday. SIgh....

Have a good one!

Originally Posted by guy231 .

Well done slim, I find it very difficult to cycle in such weather so I take my hat of to you. I have done a couple of 30 mile races, one 55mile and one 70mile race since the start of the year, but lucky/not so luck for me it is summer over here. Got very bad sunburn with the 70mile.

Its always difficult to start early in the year right after the holidays. Keep up the good work and hope that you have a few sunny days coming your way.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Ok, Rhino, prepared to be called Dad, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]That would be our family slogan, too... except that most of the people in my family can't SPELL dysfunctional, LOL. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I started in biking on normal pedals -- and am still there! I'm debating working over to clip-ons or straps or something before my bike tour in June, but as nervous as I was about biking, I didn't want anything that would make it even more stressful than being seen in public at my size on a bike when I first started, so I just kept the ones that came with the bike. I am only now beginning to really consider changing them out. Up til now, I haven't done enough miles (or any hills, for that matter) that I thought it would make much difference. But last week, negotiating a tricky curve, my feet slipped off the pedals and I thought, "Hmmmm.... that wouldn't have happened with clip-ons, probably." Of course, with my regular pedals I'm not likely to fall over at any stop lights, either, lol. And as you say, it's easier to get hurt when you weigh more, in spite of all the padding!! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]You mentioned in talking about clip-ons that it would be easier to get power and distance with them. Unless you're 150 pounds overweight, you have no idea how much power it will take for her just to go a few blocks, clip-ons or no! So be sure that you're not riding her into the ground those first few weeks. Dear Hubby THOUGHT he was riding slowly enough for me, and made a crack about my "only" going 3 miles at that pace... but I thought I was gonna die! Put a 150-pound pannier on your bike and go for a ride (seriously!), and it may enable you to see how much you'll have to back off your regular pace for her. You are being SUCH an awesome brother for doing all this for her, I just want you two to be able to both enjoy your rides. (If you need to sweat out your muscles, you can take another, faster ride after she's collapsed back at home, lol.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]If she's as self-conscious as I was/am about riding in front of people, maybe you could find a less-traveled area for her to get started on. Fortunately for me, there's a bike path a couple blocks away that has almost NO use during the day, and that's where I was able to go, unembarrassed by onlookers, for most of my first rides. I had my first wreck in FRONT of people last week, and of course it had to be high-school kids who thought it was the most hilarious thing they'd ever seen. But (much to my surprise) I survived both the wreck and their laughter relatively unscathed, and it should be easier from here on out.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I can't wait to hear how your surprise goes! Give her a high-5 for me and tell her I wanna know if she's naming her bike after you.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra [/COLOR]

Quote:

Sierra: LOL, consider yourself an honorary family member, the reunion is in July. Our family slogan is: welcome to the reunion where we put the "fun" in "disfunctional" :)

That is really good advice about the clothing. I'm hoping that Kris "thats the lady at the LBS" will have an appreciation for the size of bike clothes my sister will need. I have one other question for you. When you started biking did you go right in for the clip in shoes or did you just use normal peddals? I'm a big fan of clip in shoes but I think everybody has at least one time where they can seem to remember how to unclip and they just timber over like a tree. I dont' want that to happen to her. If your a skinny kit and that happens, well it's just funny, but if your a 50ish person with a real weight problem you could really get hurt. That said, It is so much easier to get power and distance out of your bike when you are clipped in. I'm a little torn on this one.

Well, my next update will likely be after the big day, I will let you know how it goes.

Take care and keep on peddaling :)

I can tell you this, my times weren't anywhere near what I would have liked it to be. SLOW, comes to mind. Sorry to hear bout your bike, what happened?

[COLOR= #0000ff]Guy,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It wasn't a big wreck by any means. Midway through my ride, I always stop to take a drink and a breather. There's a place I stop in the shade that has a curb that I can stop beside and just put my foot on the curb and sit on the bike. Somehow, I fell over as I attempted to do that (which I've done dozens of times before). I'm not even sure what happened, whether my foot missed the curb or I didn't come to a full-enough stop or what. I and my bike were just suddenly on the ground. I wasn't hurt at all, other than my pride, and originally didn't think the bike was, either. But as I got riding again, it began to make this noise from the rear wheel that I had never heard before. The noise was constant, speeded up when I sped up, and slowed down when I did, so it's definitely something to do with the wheel. I checked it out as best I could with my limited mechanical ability, but couldn't see anything wrong, nothing sticking into the tire tread, no broken spokes, etc. But I'm afraid that something is bent/grinding against something that it shouldn't be, and that further riding until it is fixed will cause more damage than is already done. The bike shop I use is 20-25 miles away, and I have trouble getting my bike into the back of our van (which doesn't have a bike rack yet), so I have just been procrastinating loading it up and making the drive because I don't have Hubby's muscles to help me out, lol. (I'm spoiled, sorry.) [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]On the phone he suggested that maybe the fender was just pushed into the wheel, so I need to see if I can tell if that's the case, and if it is, see if I can straighten it out. That had not occurred to me, and I was worried that the internal gear hub may have been damaged or pushed out of joint or something. All in all, I just need to get on the stick and get it looked at so I can head out again.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for the inquiry! Happy pedaling.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Many riders come as teams of 3 or 4. It helps because they can support each other in pulls and in opening up lanes of attacking. And when some of the stronger riders break free, the other can cause the rest of the group to slow by suddenly changing position and opening the wind to the group, or by blocking. It's pretty hairy at times. Riders are constantly yelling, "watch your line, hold your turn". It's really exciting. Last lap is called out and riders are going hard the whole loop.

swampy1970 said:
 I found it better to make the frame a little longer and got the FC to replace the seat tube. Not sure what the wife will say about missing half the dining room table but I wanted to go for the Miafia Boss meets beach cruiser look... 1000W transfered via the mystic ether to motor in the back wheel. There's a slight issue with that power transfer in the rain. The 'ol boys' get zapped from time to time... I machined the chainring from the center of some pimp daddy's custom car wheels. Lowrider all the way baby...
I'm new at this but I would love to have this bike. Where can I get one?