I found one that works

oberlaenderm

May 31, 2003
I just wanted to add, that after trying a number of different racing bikes, I did end up with the Fuji Finest women's specific bike. I also test drove a KHS bike with almost identical specs and similar frame size and found that the stem length of the frame was much longer than in the Fuji bike. Since I am short and short-waisted, I went for the more comfortable frame. Don't know if this will help anyone making a similar buying decision, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Now, how long does it take to adjust from the relatively upright body positioning of a hybrid bike to the more curved one of a racing one? I feel like a bow after my maiden voyage. Any advice on stretches, etc., to make the transition easier would be appreciated.

More sore than I expected to be. . .

Originally posted by oberlaenderm
I just wanted to add, that after trying a number of different racing bikes, I did end up with the Fuji Finest women's specific bike. I also test drove a KHS bike with almost identical specs and similar frame size and found that the stem length of the frame was much longer than in the Fuji bike. Since I am short and short-waisted, I went for the more comfortable frame. Don't know if this will help anyone making a similar buying decision, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Now, how long does it take to adjust from the relatively upright body positioning of a hybrid bike to the more curved one of a racing one? I feel like a bow after my maiden voyage. Any advice on stretches, etc., to make the transition easier would be appreciated.

More sore than I expected to be. . .

Ahh, the change to a road bike. I just bought one this summer, like you, I went from the upright to the curved.
For stretching ideas, check out topics on the web. Do some searches for stretching techniques, your bound to find some you can apply daily.
Here's some that I do:
the back- stand with your knees slightly bent, hands between your thinghs. Arc your back and pull your shoulders inward while dropping your head towards your chest at the same time. Hard to explain but you will feel it.
also, sit upright in a chair with your back straight, both arms at your sides. Push your right hand downwards while tilting your neck to the left. Then switch to the other arm. Feels great to loosen those neck muscels.
for your back end/lower back- lie on your back, bend one knee up in a triangular fassion, and pull in close into your chest while pulling towards the floor some with your lower back. I find this to help not only your buttocks but your lower back muscles as well.

I have found that doing regular stomach exercises helps to support your torso on rides. Its amazing the difference you will feel. So, push the sit-ups!!

I hope that helps some. I am not so good at typing instructions. Again, I suggest searching stretching online.

Thanks for the stretching advice. I couldn't quite picture all of it, but will try to print out your instructions and give it a whirl. Now that I've been riding the road bike for about 1400 miles, the upper torso bowed feeling is not really a problem any more.

This one, however, is:

Does anyone have good suggestions regarding numbness in the feet?

I have received a number of bits of advice and have yet to combat this problem. I got new mountain bike shoes that are large in the toe box and are laced relatively loosely to accommodate swelling of the feet during a long ride.

But still, the numbness persists.

Then, I tried experimenting with the positioning of the seat, since someone suggested that maybe I'm compressing a muscle in my bottom that reaches down to my feet, thereby causing numbness. From adjusting the seat further back to actually trying my cushy comfort bike seat on my road bike, I've tried several variations, all without major success.

I have yet to try forking over $55 to be "properly" fitted for the road bike, but that may be my next course of action.

Other than that, trying new saddles is all I can think to do.

I'd really like to solve this problem, since my feet are so numb by the end of a 30+ mile ride, that I fear I won't be able to go much further than that.

Any help is welcome! Thanks, Michaela

I looked in google, and found the following:

Foot discomfort is often the result of inappropriate footwear, specifically shoes with soft soles that concentrate the pedal pressure on isolated parts of the foot. It can also be related to riding in a too-high gear, which results in more pressure of the foot against the pedal.
Some cyclists are hypersensitive to having their feet overheat while riding. An excellent solution to this is to wear cycling sandals. Cycling sandals are a fairly new development, and most people's initial reaction to them is "what a goofy idea." In practice, however, they are very comfortable in warm weather. For longer rides with sandals, you should wear socks to protect against chafing.

good luck

Thank you, Leslie. Cycling sandals actually sound good to me -- I may check them out. In our warm Florida climate, they ought to be good almost year-round.

I'm also trying a gel pad for my seat, just in case it makes a difference.

If I find a solution that seems to work, I'll post it here. Meanwhile, thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.

Michaela :)

I actually know someone who swears by his cycling sandals. I would have thought it would be hard to get this snug enough to not slip - but I guess that's not a problem. Cycling in Florida in the summer must really be beastly hot. It's warm enough in Michigan for me in the summer :)

You go early in the morning or in early evening, that's for sure. Although it hasn't broken 95 here this summer, so I bet Michigan's temps can get up there also.

I'll look at the cycling sandals when I get a proper bike fitting on Monday -- maybe that'll help, also.

The gel pad thing didn't work at all. Now I'm exploring remedies for chafing. :)

I was just talking to a female rider friend this morning, and she says that Bag Balm does the trick for her. - use it before the ride. Since I've gotten a woman's seat ( an inexpensive one from Performance bikes - it cost less than $20), I haven't had a problem with chaffing, so haven't needed to try this remedy. - but she rides A LOT, so think she knows what she's talking about. - good luck