I GAVE AWAY a bike, today

dahut

May 13, 2010
When I inherited my dads house, I found an old Sears 3-speed step-through, probably made by Huffy or Murray decades ago. It had a chrome frame, fenders and a white vinyl seat. It was in shabby shape, or so I thought. I was in a hurry to move in and had no time for such stuff, so I wrote it off outright and tossed it on the porch.

I put the bike on Freecycle this past week, offering it to anyone who wanted to come get it out of my way. The tires were flat, it was dusty and tarnished and, frankly, I had no aspirations for it. Well, I got a taker and she was coming today to get it.

Out of courtesy, I got it out and took a close look. As I thought, it looked neglected and haggard, but I pumped up the tires, anyway. What do you know - they held air, with a decent sidewall and good tread showing. So I did what any crankhead would do... I took it for a spin.

And you know what? It was an nice ride! It was adjusted all wrong for my size, but the gear shifter worked and changed the gears, the brakes in front stopped it and both wheels ran true. Aside from knocking a mud daubers nest out of the fender well and a rear brake that only worked half-@assed - it was pretty sweet.

Alicia, the new owner, came and got it this evening and was thrilled. She recently had debilitating back surgery and riding an upright bicycle is about all she can do, physically. If all works out, the bike will be her stepping stone to recovery; she hopes to one day soon be running again.

I was pleased that the bike might be put to such beneficial use. But I did task that if she found the bike was no longer needed at any time, to please call me. In fact, I was going to call her myself, from time to time, and check on her progress. Hopefully, she WON'T need it for long and I can get it back!

Sorry to hear about your Dad... There is something special about a vintage bike I wish my wife was willing to buy a vintage tire for her's but she wasn't and we gave it away.

wiredued said:
Sorry to hear about your Dad... There is something special about a vintage bike I wish my wife was willing to buy a vintage tire for her's but she wasn't and we gave it away.
I hadnt thought of it as "vintage"; not until I rode it, of course. After that, I could envision all sorts of town commutes it could fulfill.
In fact, there is a guy down my street who could use it, too. He walks everywhere, and might like something like that. Maybe I could start a non-profit charity, providing bikes to people who need them. ;)

Get it back? And you're going to call her from time to time?

Are you serious?

Yojimbo_ said:
Get it back? And you're going to call her from time to time?

Are you serious?
No. It was just a fleeting feeling after having ridden the bike and it was spoken in jest. I'm not going be a "taker backer."

I'll probably see how she is doing after her surgery, though and to see how she is enjoying the bike.

That was a great gesture. Not only have you spread human happiness to a fellow traveller you have helped in some small way to keep the planet green by recycling a bike.. well done.

decca234uk said:
That was a great gesture. Not only have you spread human happiness to a fellow traveller you have helped in some small way to keep the planet green by recycling a bike.. well done.

Thanks.

In my later years, I've concluded that it is the small things we do that make most of the difference. Sure we all want to be part of something big, or to perform the one great act that changes the world.

But we most often live within our individual circles, in our own corners within the greater whole. Most often, the thing we can have the greatest effect upon is ourselves and, with luck, those few immediatley surrounding us.

Whether we change the world - or just our little corner of it, I always recall what Mahatma Ghandi suggested many times over: never underestimate the power of the single individual who isn't afraid to act.