I get cramps in my side because...

Schwinn

Aug 28, 2003
That is the question. Sometimes I get cramps in my side while riding. I am pretty new to riding. Is this due to dehydration?

Thanks for the help.

i dont know mate , but by the sound of it your best bet is the docor or a physisist ( i cant spell lol). ive been riding for 3 years now and ive never heard of ur complaint, id go get urself checked out dude, make sure everything is hunky dorey

Dehydration usually results in "bonking" or "hitting the wall", so to speak, rather than pain in the side. Your symptoms sound like oxygen debt - which usually happens after sustained hard efforts, particularly if your aerobic capacity is not quite there yet. You need to just spend time on the bike racking up miles to increase your overall level of fitness.

I am a very fit cyclist who gets side cramps from time to time. I have been able to narrow down the cause to the recovery cycle following century rides. For several days following a century, during intense efforts, I get side cramps. I attribute these to a lack of fuel stores (I know there is a large one in the liver, an expert on the forum can expand). The cramps dissappear when I have fully recovered.

Lately, I have taken the recovery cycle much more seriously to head off this and other effects.

Originally posted by Schwinn
That is the question. Sometimes I get cramps in my side while riding. I am pretty new to riding. Is this due to dehydration?

Thanks for the help.

Regardless of how well hydrated a person is, cramps develop after a period of high intensity and time. Muscles can only work up to a point. Conditioning, endurance work, all can help sustain high intensity work as when racing. That is why you often hear people say to train at the same intensity you will be racing, so that your muscles can get condition to the heavy loads. Of course is imperative to keep hydrating, and fueling your body for optimal performance. On the other hand it sound that if you are experiencing cramps on the side of your leg it may be that you may need to check your positioning on the bike; seat height, handle bar reach, saddle aff-for, etc., all these things can affect how your feel while riding.

Best regards.

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."
Dave Edison.