I got a new bike! Soon to be an SS commuter

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gman, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Gman

    Gman Guest

    OK, before you start, I know this isn't alt.roadie.scum, but I'm psyched about my classic steel
    Panasonic roadie (soon to be) commuter with full campy.

    A friend cleaning out the garage gave it to me! It's got some near horiz drops too, perfect for SS
    conversion.

    I will need to do something about the sew-up rims/tires, new post/saddle, rip all that unnecessary
    gear crap off there and sell that on Ebay. I'll be cookin' with gas!

    It's exactly what I was looking for for an SS commuter. Got a nice retro look to it.

    Any hints on a good commuter gearing??? Corvus? Pretty flat commute, but I wouldn't mind having the
    capability to ride some mild hills if necessary.

  2. Gman <[email protected]> wrote

    > Any hints on a good commuter gearing??? Corvus?

    Go big! My easy gear on the cross bike is 49x20, and the 49x18 fixed is really very comfortable. 2:1
    is an off-road gear. Go big and find enlightenment.

    CC

  3. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 28 Jan 2003 05:26:13 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK, before you start, I know this isn't alt.roadie.scum, but I'm psyched about my classic steel
    >Panasonic roadie (soon to be) commuter with full campy.

    >A friend cleaning out the garage gave it to me! It's got some near horiz drops too, perfect for SS
    >conversion.
    >
    >I will need to do something about the sew-up rims/tires, new post/saddle, rip all that unnecessary
    >gear crap off there and sell that on Ebay. I'll be cookin' with gas!
    >
    >It's exactly what I was looking for for an SS commuter. Got a nice retro look to it.
    >
    >Any hints on a good commuter gearing??? Corvus? Pretty flat commute, but I wouldn't mind having the
    >capability to ride some mild hills if necessary.

    Nice, have fun on your new one.

    :-]