i got a new 'used' w/ shimano 600 crank 172.5mm , but I need a shorter crank

SinnerDC2

Apr 20, 2010
i got a new 'used' w/ shimano 600 crank 172.5mm crank arms , but I need a shorter crank. I really need a 165mm crank for my inseam length. What all brands can I use? I dont want to replace the gear, just the crank arms if possible. What are my options?

Thanks
Nick

First of all, you can get cranks in 170.0mm if you want.

Secondly, Nearly all major brands (Shimano, Sram, Truvativ, etc.) make cranks in a 165mm length.

If you don't want to replace the gears, you're going to have to find another crankset with the same bolt pattern. Keep in mind, there are 4- and 5- bolt chainrings with different bolt circle diameters (ex. 104mm, 110mm, 130mm).

If I were you, I'd go to my local bike shop with your old crankset. Tell them you're looking for a shorter crankset with the same bolt pattern. Ask them if they have anything used that's for sale. If they don't, see ask about buying a new crankset.

Bama

There's no reason that you can't find a new crankset with the same gear sizing in 165mm and then sell the one you have currently. Selling a crank with chainrings attached is much easier than selling a ringless one.

I also agree with:
If I were you, I'd go to my local bike shop with your old crankset. Tell them you're looking for a shorter crankset with the same bolt pattern. Ask them if they have anything used that's for sale. If they don't, see ask about buying a new crankset.
Dealing with bolt patterns will be too cumbersome. Let the pros at the LBS handle it so you can spend time enjoying your bike.