I got fit for a road bike: Now what?

pythoncharmer

Jan 25, 2004
I'm looking for a road bike and got fitted at my LBS this weekend. The question now is, how do I go about finding a bike that fits? How closely should I adhere to the measurements? I am looking for a road bike to do triathlons (sprint to half-Ironman distance), centuries, and possibly some commuting (though in reality I would probably just use my current MTB for commuting).

The recommended sizes were:
Seat Tube: 48cm
Top Tube: 50cm
Seat Tube Angle: 75
Crank Length: 165 cm
Stem length: 80
Wheel size: 650 cm

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bike this size? I'd prefer a triple between $600-$1600 but I am open to all suggestions! If I find something with a longer top tube, would it 'fit' if the stem was shorter? If I find a bike with a different seat tube angle, wouldn't that throw off the remaining measurements? Since the smallest Giant bikes have 52cm top tubes, are they all too 'giant' for me, or are there other factors to consider?

THANKS A MILLION for your help and input!

That is quite a small frame. Seat tube angle seems a bit steep, but that goes with the overall geometry.

I'm not a big fan of 650 wheels. Less choice in tyres & if you ever need to borrow a tube, you're really cutting down the number of potential donors!

Certainly, within +/- 1cm you can work with stem length & so on. Id suggest you ride a couple of different sized frames to get a feel for it. a 52 top tube might seem HUGE.

Also, if you use it for a tri, you'd have a more time trial position (higher seat, further forward) whereas for a century, you might consider seat a bit lower & further back.

Unless its massively mountainous, I wouldn't worry about a triple. 39 25 (or 27 even) is a pretty low gear.

Originally posted by xc_gumby

I'm not a big fan of 650 wheels. Less choice in tyres & if you ever need to borrow a tube, you're really cutting down the number of potential donors!

Unless its massively mountainous, I wouldn't worry about a triple. 39 25 (or 27 even) is a pretty low gear.
650 wheels are the only way to get correct geometry and a short TT in a small frame. As for gearing,how can you assume what someone else needs,and it's not just all about massive mountains.

Originally posted by pythoncharmer
I'm looking for a road bike and got fitted at my LBS this weekend. The question now is, how do I go about finding a bike that fits? How closely should I adhere to the measurements? I am looking for a road bike to do triathlons (sprint to half-Ironman distance), centuries, and possibly some commuting (though in reality I would probably just use my current MTB for commuting).

The recommended sizes were:
Seat Tube: 48cm
Top Tube: 50cm
Seat Tube Angle: 75
Crank Length: 165 cm
Stem length: 80
Wheel size: 650 cm

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bike this size? I'd prefer a triple between $600-$1600 but I am open to all suggestions! If I find something with a longer top tube, would it 'fit' if the stem was shorter? If I find a bike with a different seat tube angle, wouldn't that throw off the remaining measurements? Since the smallest Giant bikes have 52cm top tubes, are they all too 'giant' for me, or are there other factors to consider?

THANKS A MILLION for your help and input!
Trek and Cdale among others offer WSD bikes with toptubes in your range. Since seattubes are measaured 3 different ways, the 48cm figure is somewhat meaningless. Assuming you have adequate standover in your cycling shoes,TT length and bar height are more important. A 60 stem is about the shortest available.I'd avoid one that short if possible.