I got little cash, wise to put 70s Record on 2003 frameset?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Paul, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi All

    I have a '73 Cresent(531) all Campy but brakes used on Sunday club rides, otherwise on MTB. I want a
    new frameset but don't have $$ for full bike, wondered if wise to buy frame and swap crankset and
    barends (I like barends) I'll use newer Hbars/stem. My better judgement is to leave the Cresent as
    is and painfully save. I just love the way old Campy works, don't really like brake/shifter combo.
    Any opinions? TIA <paul

    Tags:

  2. "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Bh-
    > I just love the way old Campy works, don't really like brake/shifter combo. Any opinions?

    This has nothing to do with racing -- please don't post this sort of question here. And everyone
    else, please do not respond to this question here.

    Thanks,

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I have a '73 Cresent(531) all Campy but brakes used on Sunday club rides, otherwise on MTB. I want
    > a new frameset but don't have $$ for full bike, wondered if wise to buy frame and swap crankset
    > and barends (I like barends) I'll use newer Hbars/stem. My better judgement is to leave the
    > Cresent as is and painfully save. I just love the way old Campy works, don't really like
    > brake/shifter combo. Any opinions? TIA <paul>

    My opinion is that the swapping the frame will make less difference than the components.

    What is it you hope to accomplish with a new frame? Nashbar did have a smoking deal on new aluminum
    frames which would save you a bit of weight, but you might need to buy a new BB, and you might new
    axles (Or will you?) because the new frame will be spaced wider.

    Note that if you like Campy gear, you can get bar-end shifters even for their latest 9v and 10v
    stuff. They still make this for the TTers and Tri-geeks, so next time you see a triathlete cranking
    along at 70 rpm on a funny-looking bicycle, you be a little grateful.

    If you love how old Campy works, that's perfectly fine, but frames have changed much less than
    equipment. That's why most people put new gruppos on old bicycles

    15-year-old Pinarello, 5-year-old STI,

  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Sorry, both groups next to each other, I click on wrong NG..... <paul>

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Bh-
    > I just love the way old Campy works, don't really like brake/shifter combo. Any opinions?

    This has nothing to do with racing -- please don't post this sort of question here. And everyone
    else, please do not respond to this question here.

    Thanks,

    JT

  5. Paul-<< My better judgement is to leave the Cresent as is and painfully save. I just love the way
    old Campy works, don't really like brake/shifter combo. Any opinions? >><BR><BR>

    If it works, go ride it. Modern 'stuff' won't make you any faster. Remember, 'it's not about the
    bike', but the ride.

  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks guys

    The Crescent works as good as new; I keep it in factory shape, except for few dents & scratches, it
    has a tight front end, toe overlap, when in my 20s and fast I didn't mind now in my forgetful 50s
    slow speed turns can be comical! ;-) I'd like a modern frame just so experience it, I'm great
    climber so always wanted a superlight climbing machine. I do notice that I'm as fast or faster then
    some on 21st century bikes. <paul>

    Peter said: If it works, go ride it. Modern 'stuff' won't make you any faster. Remember, 'it's not
    about the bike', but the ride.

    Peter Chisholm