I got my first bike!!! Newbie questions! You know you wanna help!!

justo316

Apr 26, 2003
It's like christmas!!

Finally decided on a Mongoose Rockadile LED. Tried out the full sus Wing Comp, had a blast, but figured it was not worth it. Equal price, but LED just had much better gear on it. It was worth a grand, but I got it for $630AU. Couldn't pass it up.

My missus got a Giant Boulder SE. She wanted the Rockadile ALX (which we were originally both gonna get), but they didn't have her size.

How do I adjust the suspension? There's little turning things on my shocks, but I don't know what they are actually doing...

My bike also has mech disk brakes. They seem really weak. The bike shop guy said they would wear in, and provide more braking power, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

My butt hurts.....the seat is too hard....

Tell your wife the Giant ROCKS too!!

Which fork do you have? You could be adjusting the rebound damping - it controlls how fast the shock rebounds after impact. Rule of thumb is to start exactly in the middle and adjust for personal preference one click at a time.

Disk brakes do take awhile to break in (no pun intended). One day you'll be riding along and you'll jam on the brakes and launch yourself because they've finally worn in. :)

Yeah my GF only wanted a Mongoose because of the colour schemes. The Giants don't look as good.

Re the shocks: Where is the middle? do I just keep turning it either way, and find the end points?

My disc brakes were making a scraping sound which I guess was the disc rubbing the pads. I adjusted the front so it is silent, but the rear is still making the sound. I can't spread the pads any further. Will this stop once the pads wear a little?

Ok the most likely adjustment for the top of the forks at a bike of that level is not damping but preload

this means as you turn the knob/adjuster clockwise you increase the amount of preload on the spring/elastomer stack and make the fork stiffer.

most forks come out of the factory set for a 70-75kg rider so if you weigh more you may want to crank up the preload. if both legs have adjusters then adjust both equally until you find a comfortable level

as for the disks, yes they will "bed in" and the cables will stretch so after a month of riding have them serviced by the shop to adjust all the cables

often disks are a little weak to start with until the factory finish on the discs and pads wears off and then they get very bitey, BE WARNED!!!!

Ahhhh....it's all fitting into place now.....

Now...with the seat, it's really hurting me...I've seen some seats with what looks like a shock absorber underneath. Is it worth getting one of these if I keep complaining?

Originally posted by justo316
Ahhhh....it's all fitting into place now.....

Now...with the seat, it's really hurting me...I've seen some seats with what looks like a shock absorber underneath. Is it worth getting one of these if I keep complaining?

If you ever want kids - don't mess with that area - go get a new seat!

do you mean a suspension seat post? they are a waste. just go get a good saddle that doesn't hurt your butt.

Well, I went for a decent pathway ride today (14kms) and I adjusted my saddle so it points downwards. Much more comfortable, but now I feel like I'm constantly gonna slip off. Just means have to have hands on handlebars all the time (which I should anyway.....).

There's some sort of fluid coming out of my shocks, is this normal?

oookaaaay.....is it perhaps some sort of lubricant thats working its way outside? Is that a possibility?

I dont know what's inside my shock. It's an RST Gila something or rather....

if your **** is hurting just go buy some **** seat they are a lot more comfortable. i just swapped my new iron horse g-out seat with my 5 year old huffys seat and the huffy is a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Actually the seat is a lot more comfortable to ride now. I tilted it forward quite a bit. It means I have more pressure on my arms and cant just "cruise" around, but a lot better than before.

I really want a suspension seatpost....

When you get your suspension fork checked out at the store, tell them about your comfort issues, they should be able to take a look and see if there are any adjustments that might help out. That might just be all you need.

the seat angle should be flat. How long have you been riding bikes? your bumb might just need to be worn in

It was flat, my ass hurt way too much and was putting me off riding. I'm sure I will get used to it, but it's just easier (less discomfort) to angle it forward.

Are you riding in street clothes? If so go and buy yourself some riding shorts.