I got my first flat

Tw00sh

Aug 1, 2009
Was out riding at 4AM this morning and got my frist flat in over the whole year I have been riding. I had to walk back about 3 miles.

Now, I am wondering if I should even try to change it myself (It's the rear tire) or take it to my local bike shop and have it replaced and tuned. I kinda think the wheel might need to be tuned a little sense I rode on it for a little bit up hill before I realised it was going flat.

I am also considering getting new tires? What is the normal wear out on them. I have about 1000 miles total on my bike and my tires are 700 x 23 and looking pretty flat.

Well, you just found out why every cyclist should carry a spare tube, levers, and a pump or CO2 inflator. Good thing you were only 3 miles from home. Fixing a flat is an easy job at the side of the road; shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Perhaps your shop or a cycling friend can show you how to do it, so you'll be ready next time.

Concerning tires, it's normal for the rear to wear flat in the center. Some people let them go all the way down until the casing threads are showing, but most change before then. If the rubber is paper-thin, you may be more prone to punctures. Puncture-resistance depends a lot on the tire you buy: some have strong casings, others (race tires) are designed to be thin, light and flexible for lowest rolling resistance and best ride and roadholding.

Tw00sh said:
Was out riding at 4AM this morning and got my frist flat in over the whole year I have been riding. I had to walk back about 3 miles.

Now, I am wondering if I should even try to change it myself (It's the rear tire) or take it to my local bike shop and have it replaced and tuned. I kinda think the wheel might need to be tuned a little sense I rode on it for a little bit up hill before I realised it was going flat.

I am also considering getting new tires? What is the normal wear out on them. I have about 1000 miles total on my bike and my tires are 700 x 23 and looking pretty flat.

Yes, you should learn how to change a tire. It's not as hard as you would think. Most bike shops offer classes about bike maintenance including tire changing. It will take less than 5 mins to do so on the road and beats walking 3 miles. They will also fix you up on the tools you will need to carry with you - extra tube, patch kit, tire levers, pump or CO2 cartridges (I carry both) where the pump is my backup.

You should be fine at 1000 but it depends on the riding surface. If they look worn, replace them that's when flats start happening. If it makes you feel more comfortable take it in and ask the bike shop and check on if they have and classes.

If you are going to be riding any distance, it helps to know how to handle some of the simple stuff, the rest the bike shop can take care of. Learning to change a tire is a must.

I got my first flat yesterday, also the rear tyre... So typically xD Rain in Denmark!
Anyone got a nice guide? Just dismount the tyre and start pulling off the tyre from the wheelframe thingie, ? xD

Scream said:
I got my first flat yesterday, also the rear tyre... So typically xD Rain in Denmark!
Anyone got a nice guide? Just dismount the tyre and start pulling off the tyre from the wheelframe thingie, ? xD

Here's a good link for many issues regarding nutrition, maintenance, training, etc. I use the articles to send out to new riders on our team and to refresh the vets.

bikebarn.com

:)

I remember weeks when it seemed like I walked beside my bike more than I road it, because I always got flat tires.

Like the other folks said, be prepared and carry the tire changing levers, a spare tube, and a Co2 inflation kit.

Or buy a set of bullet proof tires, I've been running Bontrager RaceLight HardCases for about 4 years and haven't had a flat yet.

I'm not saying you should buy that brand of tire, I'm just saying if you want a really strong puncture proof tire with low rolling resistance, I believe they are there to be had.

You'll probably give up some grip in the turns, but I've never had any problems.

Tw00sh said:

Punctures happen and you should carry a pump, a tube and a patch kit. Keeps from walking 3 miles.

Fixing flats is an essential part of being a cyclist, IMHO.

Duckfeet said:
Here's a good link for many issues regarding nutrition, maintenance, training, etc. I use the articles to send out to new riders on our team and to refresh the vets.

bikebarn.com

:)

bike barn. i've had nothing but hillbilly issues with those hillbillies. too bad too cause i know they have some good riders, it's just the shops that i have no respect for.

an if you don't like it, too bad.

everyone else go to West End Bikes, that's who WB once rode for and rode with Dave Boyd (Primal Quest triathlete) at their rides. You must know the one i'm speaking of, right duck face? if not, it's the one all the bike barn riders and employees go to to get fast. anything like that ever happen with bike barn? didn't think so.

and west end has real riders and mechanics with real experience and they go out of their way to get you want you want and make sure the customer is happy and that customer becomes their life long riding friend, from what everyone else i've ever ridden in houston has said and how they have treated me, with respect and decency. can't say the same for bike barn so i won't. i shoulda bought my bike from West End. that is where the bike that i purchased from bike barn goes for it's fixings.

if not for that kind of store with that kind of dedication to cycling, i might just have quit riding altogether by now as all hope is not lost as me being me, i hang on only by a thread of hope.

*disclaimer, WB holds no opinion about any bike store as he likes them all, those are just MY words and beliefs. phuck bike barn.

i also like how i came out to ya'lls kirby experienced riders sat or sunday ride only to offer to you guys employees that i would stay back with two women who it was their first time out on any group ride and did not know that it was an experienced riders ride to be given a sh!t ass look by some weak punk kid of ya'lls who thought he was a bad ass. i didn't know you all only hire gays.

i'm a pretty easy going guy and believe it or not i hold kindness dear to myself and where i find it. no wonder i can't stand bike barn or teamsmack.

corporate hillbillies and i'm sure that that is not how the owners intended it, it's the managers and the non knowledgable, money hungry sales staff that have overun it with uselesness, regardless of what events that you all put on, regardless.

i never got an explanation about how or why my bike was switched but i'm pretty sure it had something to do with some managers vacation fund needs or some unintelligable sales guys' bonus commison check.

hire come real cyclists and maybe i'll change my mind. i won't hold my breath.

that's Preston, but you know this already and if you don't know way i look like, i'll be the one blowing your guys out of the water. twenty four tattoos and a blue and white specialized tarmac elite but you know that already too, don't you? and i'll be in WB's orange colonel's jersy, if you need further recognition.

see you around, Houstonian.

How about taking your paranoid delusions off line? The thread is about someone getting their first flat. If you want to complain about something as you are, take it to the Soap Box. If you want to whine about how persecuted you claim you are, start a freakin' blog. It's patently obvious that you can't get along with other folk without insulting them, cursing them, threatening them, all mixed in with non-stop boasting about what you imagine you can do and what a he-man you think you are.

You should have the doctor increase your meds.

wonder if you took tyre off every few weeks and cleaned the inside fully of all debris would it reduce the risk of punctures ,,,,just a thought.

roadhouse said:
bike barn. i've had nothing but hillbilly issues with those hillbillies. too bad too cause i know they have some good riders, it's just the shops that i have no respect for.

an if you don't like it, too bad.

everyone else go to West End Bikes, that's who WB once rode for and rode with Dave Boyd (Primal Quest triathlete) at their rides. You must know the one i'm speaking of, right duck face? if not, it's the one all the bike barn riders and employees go to to get fast. anything like that ever happen with bike barn? didn't think so.

and west end has real riders and mechanics with real experience and they go out of their way to get you want you want and make sure the customer is happy and that customer becomes their life long riding friend, from what everyone else i've ever ridden in houston has said and how they have treated me, with respect and decency. can't say the same for bike barn so i won't. i shoulda bought my bike from West End. that is where the bike that i purchased from bike barn goes for it's fixings.

if not for that kind of store with that kind of dedication to cycling, i might just have quit riding altogether by now as all hope is not lost as me being me, i hang on only by a thread of hope.

*disclaimer, WB holds no opinion about any bike store as he likes them all, those are just MY words and beliefs. phuck bike barn.

Roadhouse, I was offering their site as a reference because they do have a good section on articles for people who are just getting started. I remember 6yrs ago being out on that limb. I'm not affiliated with them and I don't ride their Saturday/Sunday rides but instead ride with another group who are lots of fun. I will agree they have some issues but it's not going to stop me from dropping in if I need some Gu or a spare tube.

I'm a Cannondale fan myself and btw I'm female and you were quite rude and this thread is about helping each other out. Share the knowledge not the hate.

Duckfeet said:
Roadhouse, I was offering their site as a reference because they do have a good section on articles for people who are just getting started. I remember 6yrs ago being out on that limb. I'm not affiliated with them and I don't ride their Saturday/Sunday rides but instead ride with another group who are lots of fun. I will agree they have some issues but it's not going to stop me from dropping in if I need some Gu or a spare tube.

I'm a Cannondale fan myself and btw I'm female and you were quite rude and this thread is about helping each other out. Share the knowledge not the hate.

well you'll have to just excuse me for not believeing that you are who you say you are. if i am wrong about you, than of course it is my fault and i'm terribley sorry but as i have already stated, i don't buy it.