I got spurs that jingle jangle jingle as I go riding merrily along

bseidner

Nov 5, 2003
A recent orthopedic consultation was not good news to this otherwise fit, 50 year old cyclist. I have osteoarthritis in my toes and have large calcium rings with spurs (looks like a say it with diamonds commercial on the x-ray). My options as I understand them are a painful shot that will have temporary and equivocal results, surgery to remove the spurs but leave me subject to the vagaries of arthritis, or fusion of the joints. I wanted to think of another functional option and need your advise.They are bilateral and on the distal end of the dorsal first metatarsal of my big toes (I just love talking like that). I don't know how much of this is cycling related and how much is just age and genetics. Running is out of the question, but now it is affecting my cycling. I use Sidi Dominator Mega MTB shoes with SPD cleats and there is virtually no platform to my Shimano 747 pedals. All of my cycling weight is focused right there at the juncture of the first metatarsal and proximal phalanges. I cycled for only an hour yesterday and it is as close to being Christ-like as I will get. I would like the nails removed from my feet, thank you very much.

Is there an orthotic anyone would recommend that would distribute the weight differently. I don't mind not running, but I'll be damned if I am going to stop cycling.

Bruce