I guess I got an answer

M Nesbitt

Guest
I asked, a while back, whether this place serves a purpose. And, after a most interesting
exchange ranging from diabetes to constipation to mercury amalgam and personal attacks, the
answer has come to me.

This place exists for three different reasons.

For those who strongly favour alternative therapies, it's a free play zone. For those who don't,
it's a game of "whack-a-mole".

And, for the rest of us, it keeps the absolute loonies from both sides busy sniping at each other,
which means we're less likely to ever meet them in real life.

No offence to those with open minds from both sides, but a few voices seem to drown out most of the
actual discussion around here.

Thanks for the lesson...

m nesbitt Cynical Optomists Unite!

The diagnose is obvious. Just block the wacky posters and enjoy what is left. I get 20 posts a day
tops, w/o counting the spam.

"m nesbitt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I asked, a while back, whether this place serves a purpose.

In article <[email protected]>,
Baldrick <[email protected]> wrote:
>The diagnose is obvious. Just block the wacky posters and enjoy what is left. I get 20 posts a day
>tops, w/o counting the spam.

While rotting in the stink of your own reflections -- god forbid you should ever have to encounter a
contrary opinion.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Baldrick <[email protected]> wrote:
> >The diagnose is obvious. Just block the wacky posters and enjoy what is left. I get 20 posts a
> >day tops, w/o counting the spam.
>
> While rotting in the stink of your own reflections -- god forbid you should ever have to encounter
> a contrary opinion.

Good one Dave. I agree with you on that.

I reckon most of the spam dispersed to the pubic is to get them to go along with restrictions on
the internet.

Carole http://www.austarmetro.com.au/~hubbca/media.htm

In article <[email protected]>,
Carole <[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, Baldrick <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >The diagnose is obvious. Just block the wacky posters and enjoy what is left. I get 20 posts a
>> >day tops, w/o counting the spam.
>>
>> While rotting in the stink of your own reflections -- god forbid you should ever have to
>> encounter a contrary opinion.
>
>Good one Dave. I agree with you on that.
>
>I reckon most of the spam dispersed to the pubic is to get them to go along with restrictions on
>the internet.

I sure hope you mean "public" in the foregoing. :)

In any case, I disagree with you -- most of the spam is attempting to sell products of
dubious value.

--
Peter Bowditch
The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

[email protected] (David Wright) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> >I reckon most of the spam dispersed to the pubic is to get them to go along with restrictions on
> >the internet.
>
> I sure hope you mean "public" in the foregoing. :)

Yeah, I meant "public" not pubic. That was a typo.

> In any case, I disagree with you -- most of the spam is attempting to sell products of
> dubious value.

I'm not too sure about that, for a couple of reasons.
(1) Remember back a couple of months ago when that Microsoft spam was doing the rounds with arriving
emails being 157K in size? At the same time all the other spam dropped off, then when the ISPs
figured out a program to screen it out, the other stuff started turning up again.

(2) If the emails are meant to attract people to buy stuff, how come some of them are so poorly
written and put together so seemingly in haste?

There is no doubt a percentage of genuine spam trying to sell stuff, but basically my thinking is
that possibly it is part of a plan to reduce free speech on the internet by getting people to get so
sick of spam, they will agree to some sort of restrictions.

You can't prove I'm wrong, except by saying something like "who is they?" and "you're paranoid" or
something like that.

Carole http://www.austarmetro.com.au/~hubbca/media.htm

[email protected] (Carole) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> (2) If the emails are meant to attract people to buy stuff, how come some of them are so poorly
> written and put together so seemingly in haste?

That's because the real money in spamming doesn't come from spamming for your own products (hardly
anyone makes money that way), it comes from selling spam software and e-mail lists to suckers who
think they can market their own products that way. It's really a lot like MLM, where the money isn't
in product sales, it's in getting other people into the program, and most of the people involved
have no sales skills at all. A sucker spams and his ISP shuts him down, but by the time they do the
people selling spam tools will have found tens or hundreds more suckers.

In article <[email protected]>,
Carole <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] (David Wright) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> >I reckon most of the spam dispersed to the pubic is to get them to go along with restrictions on
>> >the internet.
>>
>> I sure hope you mean "public" in the foregoing. :)
>
>Yeah, I meant "public" not pubic. That was a typo.
>
>> In any case, I disagree with you -- most of the spam is attempting to sell products of
>> dubious value.
>
>I'm not too sure about that, for a couple of reasons.
>(1) Remember back a couple of months ago when that Microsoft spam was doing the rounds with
> arriving emails being 157K in size? At the same time all the other spam dropped off, then when
> the ISPs figured out a program to screen it out, the other stuff started turning up again.

Your version of history is so much more entertaining than the truth. No wonder you prefer
your version.

>(2) If the emails are meant to attract people to buy stuff, how come some of them are so poorly
> written and put together so seemingly in haste?

Because the people who send them out are morons. And I have no doubt that a lot of them can't
deliver what they claim to deliver. I refuse to believe there are *that* many sites selling Vicodin.
Rush Limbaugh would never have had to get his maid to score the stuff for him if that were true.

>There is no doubt a percentage of genuine spam trying to sell stuff, but basically my thinking is
>that possibly it is part of a plan to reduce free speech on the internet by getting people to get
>so sick of spam, they will agree to some sort of restrictions.

Ah, I should have realized you'd manage to drag in a conspiracy.

Never attribute to evil anything that is adequately explained by stupidity. You'll be right a lot
more often that way.

>You can't prove I'm wrong, except by saying something like "who is they?" and "you're paranoid" or
>something like that.

I can't "prove" you're wrong, but you are doing a ghastly job of proving you even might be right.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Carole writ
> >There is no doubt a percentage of genuine spam trying to sell stuff, but basically my thinking is
> >that possibly it is part of a plan to reduce free speech on the internet by getting people to get
> >so sick of spam, they will agree to some sort of restrictions.
>
> Ah, I should have realized you'd manage to drag in a conspiracy.
>
> Never attribute to evil anything that is adequately explained by stupidity.

I thought it was "Never attribute to Alice..." But I don;'t know who she was or who penned
the phrase.

Le M. 3