I had a win ....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bleve, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    It's not a very big deal, as the field was quite small and was mostly D
    graders, but on Sat, at the Blackburn club track meet, I won the C & D
    combined (12 lap) scratch race, and then got second (6pts) in the C & D
    combined points race. The bloke who won the points race solo'ed away
    on the first lap, and being a fat, lazy sprinter *I* wasn't going to
    chase him, but no-one else did either and he got a lap, and then he
    kept going and tried to lap us again. He got 28 points, well done!
    So, the Trek T1 gets a win on its second outing for racing.

    I'm getting the hang of this no brakes, no freewheeling thing, slowly,
    but I'd kill for a shift lever sometimes.... just one more tooth ...
    please ... on the big ring!

    Tags:

  2. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Bleve wrote:
    > It's not a very big deal, as the field was quite small and was mostly D
    > graders, but on Sat, at the Blackburn club track meet, I won the C & D
    > combined (12 lap) scratch race, and then got second (6pts) in the C & D
    > combined points race. The bloke who won the points race solo'ed away
    > on the first lap, and being a fat, lazy sprinter *I* wasn't going to
    > chase him, but no-one else did either and he got a lap, and then he
    > kept going and tried to lap us again. He got 28 points, well done!
    > So, the Trek T1 gets a win on its second outing for racing.
    >
    > I'm getting the hang of this no brakes, no freewheeling thing, slowly,
    > but I'd kill for a shift lever sometimes.... just one more tooth ...
    > please ... on the big ring!

    Well done Bleve! Not a big deal!! mostly D-graders!! Bloomin' 'eck!
    Being a D-grader myself I'm quite impressed! I nearly had a top ten
    finish last week but went too wide on the final corner and lost the
    bunch as the sprint began. Peeved but learnt from the lesson. I'll
    still be in D for a while. :)

    --
    Bean

    "I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket
    A bell that rings
    And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could
    But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  3. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Bean Long wrote:
    > Bleve wrote:
    > > It's not a very big deal, as the field was quite small and was mostly D
    > > graders, but on Sat, at the Blackburn club track meet, I won the C & D
    > > combined (12 lap) scratch race, and then got second (6pts) in the C & D
    > > combined points race. The bloke who won the points race solo'ed away
    > > on the first lap, and being a fat, lazy sprinter *I* wasn't going to
    > > chase him, but no-one else did either and he got a lap, and then he
    > > kept going and tried to lap us again. He got 28 points, well done!
    > > So, the Trek T1 gets a win on its second outing for racing.
    > >
    > > I'm getting the hang of this no brakes, no freewheeling thing, slowly,
    > > but I'd kill for a shift lever sometimes.... just one more tooth ...
    > > please ... on the big ring!
    > >

    > Well done Bleve! Not a big deal!! mostly D-graders!! Bloomin' 'eck!

    Yeah, but I ride B grade road, so really, some could call my racing C
    (& D, combined field) as sandbagging. IMO, it's not (yet ...) but
    that's because I'm a track gumby, and need to learn how to race track,
    as it's different to road (although a scratch race is just a very short
    crit). Given that there was probably only 3 C grade riders in the
    field, and the rest was D grade, the result won't change my grading
    just yet on the track. I didn't nominate my grade, it was given to me
    by the club h'cappers and they decide when it changes, not me.

  4. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Bleve wrote:
    > Bean Long wrote:
    >> Bleve wrote:

    >I didn't nominate my grade, it was given to me
    > by the club h'cappers and they decide when it changes, not me.

    Therefore not sandbagging! Well done anyway.

    --
    Bean

    "I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket
    A bell that rings
    And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could
    But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  5. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher Guest

    Track and Road grades are definitely separate (As well as size of the
    field dependant), I've raced B at both Disc and Blackburn track, never
    above C on the road and crits and C,D,E & F in country carnivals.

    Must dust off track bike...

    PiledHigher

    Bean Long wrote:
    > Bleve wrote:
    > > Bean Long wrote:
    > >> Bleve wrote:

    > >I didn't nominate my grade, it was given to me
    > > by the club h'cappers and they decide when it changes, not me.

    > Therefore not sandbagging! Well done anyway.
    >

    > --
    > Bean
    >
    > "I've got a bike
    > You can ride it if you like
    > It's got a basket
    > A bell that rings
    > And things to make it look good
    > I'd give it to you if I could
    > But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd
    >
    > Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  6. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    warrwych wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    > > It's not a very big deal, as the field was quite small and was mostly D
    > > graders, but on Sat, at the Blackburn club track meet, I won the C & D
    > > combined (12 lap) scratch race, and then got second (6pts) in the C &
    > > combined points race. The bloke who won the points race solo'ed away
    > > on the first lap, and being a fat, lazy sprinter *I* wasn't going to
    > > chase him, but no-one else did either and he got a lap, and then he
    > > kept going and tried to lap us again. He got 28 points, well done!
    > > So, the Trek T1 gets a win on its second outing for racing.
    > >
    > > I'm getting the hang of this no brakes, no freewheeling thing, slowly,
    > > but I'd kill for a shift lever sometimes.... just one more tooth ...
    > > please ... on the big ring!

    > This wouldn't be a pic of you, in true sprinter style, hiding in the
    > bunch now???
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ympfuj

    That's Packer Park, not the BBN velodrone :)

    > congratulations and welcome to the joys of track racing

    It's good training for real racing :)

  7. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    hmph! deleted the message as soon as I posted it cos my brain started to work by then ;-P Doh! and apologies

    Real racing = track racing.. One day you will get it ;-P heh

  8. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    warrwych wrote:

    > Real racing = track racing.. One day you will get it ;-P heh

    12 laps of a 307m track is a warmup, not a race :)

  9. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    only if you haven't warmed up beforehand - I thought you were a sprinter!!!
    :p Did you bleed from your eyesockets? If not, then you weren't going hard enough :p :D :D :p

  10. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I've raced H grade at the Austral back in the day...... old skool...

    Bleve, you're sandbagging in C at Blackburn. Old blokes, chicks and kids..... won't teach you what pain is... (except for the higher risk of crashing).

  11. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009

    Careful Shabby! I train with chicks who deliver huge cans of [email protected] to the a and b grade guys (note: I am NOT one of those, but rather one of the ones you refer to!). There are a couple of old men who do the same.

  12. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    warrwych wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    >> warrwych wrote:
    >>
    >>> Real racing = track racing.. One day you will get it ;-P heh

    >> 12 laps of a 307m track is a warmup, not a race :)

    > only if you haven't warmed up beforehand - I thought you were a
    > sprinter!!!
    > :p Did you bleed from your eyesockets? If not, then you weren't going
    > hard enough :p :D :D :p

    I always wondered how they got blood from mice! I know it can be taken
    from the eye socket, but I didn't know they had to get them on the track
    bike to do it! :)

    --
    Bean

    "I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket
    A bell that rings
    And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could
    But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  13. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Shabby wrote:
    > PiledHigher Wrote:
    > > Track and Road grades are definitely separate (As well as size of the
    > > field dependant), I've raced B at both Disc and Blackburn track, never
    > > above C on the road and crits and C,D,E & F in country carnivals.
    > >
    > > Must dust off track bike...
    > >
    > > PiledHigher
    > >

    > I've raced H grade at the Austral back in the day...... old skool...
    >
    > Bleve, you're sandbagging in C at Blackburn. Old blokes, chicks and
    > kids..... won't teach you what pain is... (except for the higher risk
    > of crashing).

    Two Warny's taught me about pain :)

    I'll move up once the h'cappers say I go up, remember I *am* an old
    bloke anyway!

  14. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    yup, they swap btn the treadmill and the track bike to alleviate boredom (although both go round in circles), and to develop musculature more evenly. Some mice go on to become pro racers. These are used in wind tunnels, and for further testing.

  15. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    warrwych wrote:

    > yup, they swap btn the treadmill and the track bike to alleviate
    > boredom (although both go round in circles), and to develop musculature
    > more evenly. Some mice go on to become pro racers. These are used in
    > wind tunnels, and for further testing.

    Without our trusty mice, where would man be today? For the answer,
    refer to the thread entitled "Sexy". :p

    --
    Bean

    "I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket
    A bell that rings
    And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could
    But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  16. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher Guest

    Bleve wrote:
    > warrwych wrote:
    > > Bleve Wrote:
    > > > It's not a very big deal, as the field was quite small and was mostly D
    > > > graders, but on Sat, at the Blackburn club track meet, I won the C & D
    > > > combined (12 lap) scratch race, and then got second (6pts) in the C &
    > > > combined points race. The bloke who won the points race solo'ed away
    > > > on the first lap, and being a fat, lazy sprinter *I* wasn't going to
    > > > chase him, but no-one else did either and he got a lap, and then he
    > > > kept going and tried to lap us again. He got 28 points, well done!
    > > > So, the Trek T1 gets a win on its second outing for racing.
    > > >
    > > > I'm getting the hang of this no brakes, no freewheeling thing, slowly,
    > > > but I'd kill for a shift lever sometimes.... just one more tooth ...
    > > > please ... on the big ring!

    > > This wouldn't be a pic of you, in true sprinter style, hiding in the
    > > bunch now???
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/ympfuj

    > That's Packer Park, not the BBN velodrone :)
    >
    > > congratulations and welcome to the joys of track racing

    > It's good training for real racing :)

    Two seasons ago it was never ever to track racing, so maybe you'll turn.

  17. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004

    Sandbagger!!! :)

  18. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    .. well there was at least one other B grader (road) in the field - the guy the field let get away in the points race. He is also new to track racing. So you can go bag sand together
    :p :D

  19. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    warrwych wrote:

    > . well there was at least one other B grader (road) in the field - the
    > guy the field let get away in the points race. He is also new to track
    > racing. So you can go bag sand together

    There was really only two of us who would have been able to pull him
    back, and *I* wasn't interested in doing it :)

    After having seen him warmup, I figured he wasn't a threat (not very
    adept at following Simon on the CT110), but he was a decent ITT'er.

  20. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009

    track is as much confidence as skill & fitness. I like it because it looks simple, and easy, and it's not. He took a punt (in the race) and it worked - that's what racing is about ...

    I did something similar to you Bleve last time I raced Glenvale. 10 minutes into it, and a couple of guys attacked - I was at the pointy end and thought nup, no one will be silly enough to chase them this early in the race. Wrong thought and that was my race over. Guess that's the difference between winning and not...