i had cold and flu after cycling

stevechow

Mar 11, 2006
i have been cycling for 2 years. i cycle at least once a week. i used to cycle a lot before that.

one thing i noticed is after cycling i will get cold and flu the next morning. how to prevent it? :eek: it gets better after rest and sleep. anyone can share or relate to this experience? i love cycling but i always had cold :D

stevechow said:
i have been cycling for 2 years. i cycle at least once a week. i used to cycle a lot before that.

one thing i noticed is after cycling i will get cold and flu the next morning. how to prevent it? :eek: it gets better after rest and sleep. anyone can share or relate to this experience? i love cycling but i always had cold :D
You're saying that each and every time you ride a bicycle you come down with a cold and the flu the following morning???? That's sure what your post sounds like but that can't be accurate. Are you saying you catch colds more often after cycling or have had an unusual number of bouts with the flu since taking up cycling? That would at least be plausible.

First, you need to come into contact with the cold virus to catch a cold. Getting cold or chilled will not give you a cold regardless of what myths you've heard. Now if you get overly tired out or don't eat well or expend a lot of energy shivering or cycling long miles or crash dieting or a number of other things your immune system may be compromised making it more likely to catch that cold instead of sucessfully fending off yet another viral exposure. So are you eating well, sleeping well and working up from easy cycling to longer and harder rides? Or are you missing out on something your body needs to be healthy and then piling on long or hard rides without building up to it first?

Take care of yourself first, ease into cycling and if you really do get an excessive number of colds or frequent bouts with the flu you should seek medical or dietary attention because something other than cycling is giving you trouble.

Good luck

What symptoms are you getting the next morning? How much rest and sleep are we talking about before they go away?

matagi said:
What symptoms are you getting the next morning? How much rest and sleep are we talking about before they go away?
symptoms are running nose and shivering(which is rare) and often i had to take flu pills to get rid of it. it takes a day or two before it goes off. not only cycling gives me this problem even other games that sweats. i noticed when i sweat a lot then i will get cold and flu next day. i believe if i do mild cycling that is alright. i am taking 500g of vit C daily started recently plus cod liver oil on alternate days.

Okay, what you are describing is not a cold and it most definitely is not a flu. I think you should go and see your doctor, describe what is happening and see what he/she says.

Hmm..having colds and flu after biking seems illogical. There must be a reason for the illment but not due to biking.

dangerousbiker said:
Hmm..having colds and flu after biking seems illogical. There must be a reason for the illment but not due to biking.
this two days i cycled i didn't had cold or flu. i think it is because of the special drink i made, which i mixed half a litre of milk with honey, salt, lime and glucose. a lot of salt actually..do you all feel unable to sleep very well after a hard ride. i slept for like 5-6 hours then i will wake up and my body feels uncomfortable to sleep again :D this usually happens after i sweat a lot. i feel like my body's nutrients are drained out..

How far are you biking? I read an interesting article today which said that if you over exercise (or do an endurance type race/training), your immune system becomes low, so if you have a cold lying dormant it is likely to surface after the intense exercising. This may be your problem, but no guarantees, and I don't really know what to do about it sorry.

stevechow said:
symptoms are running nose and shivering(which is rare) and often i had to take flu pills to get rid of it. it takes a day or two before it goes off. not only cycling gives me this problem even other games that sweats. i noticed when i sweat a lot then i will get cold and flu next day. i believe if i do mild cycling that is alright. i am taking 500g of vit C daily started recently plus cod liver oil on alternate days.
If I have cold / flu symptoms (never related to cycling as far as I know), I take about 2000 mg of vitamin C per day. But as suggested here, i'd see a doctor.