I HATE CYCLISTS!

I'd like to add that I do believe that open water swimmers are the toughest of the bunch and they could be categorized as triathlete. I remember seeing a pic on Slowtwitch of a lifeguard on duty for an Ironman competition taking a woman out of the open ocean due to what seemed to me to be 8'-10' swells, well above average adult human height, that were crushing down on the shore and were simply too much for her while others were just hell bent on going right through them, and they did.

I personally have yet to begin swim training of any kind but I remember of seeing that pic being scared, very, and a feeling of being terminally small. Cycling and running have never gotten to me like that.

This is either a pretty stupid thread, or an ignorant (thread starting) post.
I'm assuming it's the second, of course.

The average fat-ass, and the average bicycle (even the cheapest ones) will usually benefit from variable gearing. If someone's unfit, they can use this to make progress easier. If someone's fit, then this can be used to make them faster. The average fat-ass could no more cycle uphill on-road for a mile on a fixie (with high gearing) than he could run the same terrain. You're comparing apples with oranges. (And asking which is the better - they're just different.)

So in answer, the average recreational runner may or may not be fitter than the average road cyclist, and each would probably be more likely to win inside their own comfort zone. Mountain biking on tough terrain is way, way harder than doing the same distance on foot, in my opinion.

Incidentally, I cycle to commute (running would be impractical because of the time taken), and because it's a lower impact activity. I don't enjoy running any more than about a mile (but can do it if it's necessary), but would happily cycle 20 miles as I find it more of a buzz, and enjoy the pace as I'm used to getting a good kick from motorbikes (moving about on foot is pretty dull for me, unless you're getting into free running, which is pretty cool). Each to their own I guess.