General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I hate electric ranges

Started by Stan Horwitz · · Last activity · 144 posts · 3,135 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 January 2006
Last activity
21 January 2006
Original author
Stan Horwitz
Posts
144
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,135
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 144
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. sf said:
    Ken Davey said:
    sf said:

    On 2 Jan 2006 05:17:49 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > I'm sorry about your burned meatballs, and I understand your


    issues. >>

    Quoted message said:

    > Did I ever mention, that I hate gas ranges and all other gas
    > appliances? If my home had a gas range, I would never ever cook
    > until it had been replaced with an electric range.
    >
    > There are devotees to both fuels. Live and let live.

    I love electric and distrust gas too. The only thing I think gas


    is > good for is great percolated coffee.

    Sorry bud, there is no such thing as great' percolated coffee.
    And - my vote is for gas.


    Get your head out of your ass for once.

    Eh?

    en.

    --
    http://www.rupert.net/~solar
    Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
    http://www.spammotel.com

  2. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Mon 02 Jan 2006 01:12:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

    Quoted message said:
    Kathy in NZ said:

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 22:57:52 -0500, Stan Horwitz <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    >Did I mention, I hate electric ranges? Whomever thought up the idea of
    >an electric range out to be slaughtered and forced to eat my burned
    >meatballs!

    Sorry for your loss! I have always had electric ranges. In a perfect
    world I would choose gas hobs but electric oven.


    I know what you mean. If I ever remodel here or design a kitchen in a
    new house, I'd have at least one gas burner. They are always good for
    really fast or really hot... plus I hear their design is better now so
    they don't have hot spots on low. My ideal would be four electric,
    two gas and an indoor grill. The other plus is that gas is charged at
    the same rate as my furnace. Electricity is more expensive.

    If you have an all-electric home and high-efficiency appliances (which we
    do), you usually get a discount from the electric utility. Electricity is
    a given in any home, while gas is definitely an option. If I had both, my
    overall costs would be greater.

    That's not necessarily true. The discount given for all-electric homes
    is miniscule compared with the difference in cost between gas and
    electric, which is significant... propane is like 1/3 the price of
    electricity, natural gas is about 1/6 the cost of electric... so even
    if you're given a 15% discount (which is extremely generous, usually
    it's more like 5%) you're still not even close to equal. I already
    looked into it... if I'd switch from my propane heat to electric heat I
    couldn't afford to live here, well I could, just couldn't afford to eat
    nearly as well... electric heat would run me about $6,000.00/yr more
    than my propane. I would like electric heat, it's much cleaner, and
    maintenence free then burning fossil fuel... but $500/mo buys a lot of
    groceries. All electric is fine for a small cabin in the woods if you
    only use it occasionally... or if you live in a hot climate where you
    don't need heat... but if you use air conditioning gas A/C is far less
    costly then electric, substantial if you live where A/C is used all
    year. I really only use A/C about four months but if I used it all
    year I'd switch over to a propane unit in a NY second.

    The only real argument when comparing electric cooking to gas cooking
    is about how important professional style cooking is to the
    individual... it's just not possible to cook like a professional with
    an electric cook top... cost is really not the issue.

  3. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 02 Jan 2006 12:09:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ignorance is a big issue when folks have cooking failures when cooking
    on something unfamiliar. What gets me is that they blame the equipment
    rather than their ignorance of how to use it. I can effectively cook
    on either gas or electric and occasionally cook on friends' gas ranges
    without a problem. I simply don't like to cook with gas and would
    consistently refuse to have it in my home.

    Based on your opinion, I'm going to re-think my issues with electric
    cooking. I've not yet cooked with the flat tops, though I hope to get a
    new stove this spring. I'm still in the dark about these stoves. But
    with some research I hope to make a proper decision.
    Dee Dee

    Yes, do look at the smoothtop ranges/cooktops. The first one I had was a
    Frigidaire back in 1994. I fell in love with one "pot boil". It had
    great
    features and was very easy to cook on. It boiled a big pot of water
    faster
    than either coils or a gas burner. When we moved in 2000 to AZ, I got a
    GE
    Profile. It had more advanced features and was wonderful. With every
    year
    the manufacturers seem to add nuances that enhance ease of control and
    better cooking. You might consider a model that has at least one halogen
    element, which gives you the ability of "instant on/instant off". I think
    when you've had time to explore what's available, the choice will be
    clear.

    Oh, another advantage of smoothtop models is that even less heat escapes
    into the kitchen compared to coil elements and especially gas burners.
    This is a big plus in my book.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Thanks, Wayne -- filed for reference in my 'stoves' file.

    Oh, BTW what is this I am reading [teasing!]
    "'Back in 1994..." Tee Hee
    Dee Dee

  4. "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Sun 01 Jan 2006 08:57:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Stan
    Horwitz?

    Quoted message said:

    > minutes later, meatballs are bubbling away, so I turned off the


    heat. I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > realized I was late picking up a friend from a nearby train station,


    so

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I asked my sister to check on the meatballs

    Sounds like your sister didn't do a very good job of checking on them.

    Since I thought the heat elements were turned off and I told her so
    before I drove over to pick up my friend, she had no reason to doubt me
    ... until the burned smell started to waft through her kitchen!


    [snip...]

    How old is the electric range?

    The reason I ask is because I have a Hotpoint electric range that has what I
    consider two different safety features.

    1. The dial has to be pushed in to move from the OFF position to any heat
    position.

    2. A red light on the dial console labelled Surface Unit lights up when any
    of the burners is in any heat position.

    As such, turning a burner off results in an audible click as the dial pops
    out and locks in the OFF position, and the Surface Unit light turns off when
    all burners are in the OFF position. By extension, if any dial doesn't click
    out and lock, it's not fully in the OFF position, and the Surface Unit light
    will remain lit.

  5. "sf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    As for percolated coffee, I used to like it back in the late 1960s, but
    haven't even tasted it since then.

    Nor have I Wayne. I was taught how to brew it by a local Arabic
    coffee vendor and it's still the best coffee I've ever tasted, by far,
    additionally everyone I served that style of coffee absolutely loved
    it.


    As I recall percolated coffee was never made strong (ly). I think most of
    the coffee I used was was probably made with Maxwell House or S&F or
    something similar; at any rate, nothing but canned ground coffee. In the
    early 60's, we used to always take a tin/aluminum percolator coffee maker
    when camping. It was heaven at the time.
    Dee Dee

  6. On Mon 02 Jan 2006 02:30:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 02 Jan 2006 12:09:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:

    > Ignorance is a big issue when folks have cooking failures when
    > cooking on something unfamiliar. What gets me is that they blame the
    > equipment rather than their ignorance of how to use it. I can
    > effectively cook on either gas or electric and occasionally cook on
    > friends' gas ranges without a problem. I simply don't like to cook
    > with gas and would consistently refuse to have it in my home.

    Based on your opinion, I'm going to re-think my issues with electric
    cooking. I've not yet cooked with the flat tops, though I hope to get
    a new stove this spring. I'm still in the dark about these stoves.
    But with some research I hope to make a proper decision.
    Dee Dee

    Yes, do look at the smoothtop ranges/cooktops. The first one I had was
    a Frigidaire back in 1994. I fell in love with one "pot boil". It had
    great features and was very easy to cook on. It boiled a big pot of
    water
    faster than either coils or a gas burner. When we moved in 2000 to
    AZ, I
    got a GE
    Profile. It had more advanced features and was wonderful. With every
    year the manufacturers seem to add nuances that enhance ease of control
    and better cooking. You might consider a model that has at least one
    halogen element, which gives you the ability of "instant on/instant
    off". I think when you've had time to explore what's available, the
    choice will be clear.

    Oh, another advantage of smoothtop models is that even less heat
    escapes into the kitchen compared to coil elements and especially gas
    burners. This is a big plus in my book.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Thanks, Wayne -- filed for reference in my 'stoves' file.

    Oh, BTW what is this I am reading [teasing!]
    "'Back in 1994..." Tee Hee
    Dee Dee

    Sometimes it seems like forever ago. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    __________________________________________________________________
    And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

  7. "Wayne Boatwright" wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes, do look at the smoothtop ranges/cooktops. The first one I had was
    a Frigidaire back in 1994. I fell in love with one "pot boil". It had
    great features and was very easy to cook on. >>> --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Thanks, Wayne -- filed for reference in my 'stoves' file.

    Oh, BTW what is this I am reading [teasing!]
    "'Back in 1994..." Tee Hee
    Dee Dee

    Sometimes it seems like forever ago. <g>

    Wayne Boatwright

    Wait until you get older, Wayne. It'll seem like only yesterday. ;-(

    Dora

  8. On Mon 02 Jan 2006 03:01:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it limey?

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Yes, do look at the smoothtop ranges/cooktops. The first one I had
    > was a Frigidaire back in 1994. I fell in love with one "pot boil".
    > It had great features and was very easy to cook on. >>> --
    > Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Thanks, Wayne -- filed for reference in my 'stoves' file.

    Oh, BTW what is this I am reading [teasing!]
    "'Back in 1994..." Tee Hee
    Dee Dee

    Sometimes it seems like forever ago. <g>

    Wayne Boatwright

    Wait until you get older, Wayne. It'll seem like only yesterday. ;-(

    Dora

    Alas, I've already been touched by that, Dora. Like when I remember a
    movie I saw, a song I heard, people I knew, or a certain family gathering,
    and I think (sigh), was that really 35 years ago? Seems like yesterday!
    :-(

    My reference to "back in 1994" was mainly because a huge number things
    have occurred and changes in my life in that relatively short 11-12 years.
    It seems like it had to be longer ago than that for all those things to
    have happened.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    __________________________________________________________________
    And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, do look at the smoothtop ranges/cooktops. The first one I had was a
    Frigidaire back in 1994. I fell in love with one "pot boil". It had great
    features and was very easy to cook on. It boiled a big pot of water faster
    than either coils or a gas burner. When we moved in 2000 to AZ, I got a GE
    Profile. It had more advanced features and was wonderful. With every year
    the manufacturers seem to add nuances that enhance ease of control and
    better cooking. You might consider a model that has at least one halogen
    element, which gives you the ability of "instant on/instant off". I think
    when you've had time to explore what's available, the choice will be clear.

    Seconded. I have had an Italian flattop for about 5 years now, "DeLonghi" with
    1 halogen element and this is easily the nicest stove I have ever cooked on.

    The thing is, you need flat pots and pans. Which brings me to the following:

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, another advantage of smoothtop models is that even less heat escapes
    into the kitchen compared to coil elements [snip]

    Argh. I had a coil elements stove in this house when I bought it. The damn
    thing has bent and buckled all my top grade pots over the years.

    When I bought the first flattop I found it wouldn't work -- because the buckled
    pots didn't conduct the heat off very well the thermostat in the elements would
    turn the power off every few seconds. Frustrating to say the least.
    I ended up giving all those pots to friends with gas stoves and replacing them.
    <sigh> Everything is dandy with the new pots though (and the new stove; I_who_
    had_become_we didn't like the first one which had unbelievably low
    manufacturing standards "Fisher and Paykel" - burned out 3 switches in the
    first year!!!).

    'nuff rambling: the Boss says I've gotta go out & do some carpentry -P.

    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

  10. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    Wayne, do you use this technique: When you want to get your pot a boilin',
    then you want the pot ingredients to die down to a simmer, do you set the
    pot off the stove while the burner temperature is lowering, or do you have
    another lower temperature burner waiting to set it on for simmering. This
    is my biggest complaint about cooking with electric and it drives me to a
    frenzy.
    Thanks,
    Dee Dee

    Ceramic cooktops are much more responsive than the solid element electric
    ranges. The only time I shift from one element to another is if I want to free
    up the fast front element for another pot (and set the rice to keep warm on the
    back burner). You can also half move a pot off the element to reduce heat even
    more quickly if something is frothing up.

    Actually, this is a consideration: the ceramic ranges come in two styles:
    buttons on the cooktop and buttons on a different panel - the latter have much
    more space on the cooktop to move pots around. The extra space is a big plus on
    our second one, come to think of it.

    -P.

    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

  11. Dee Randall said:


    Quoted message said:

    I've had the oppportunity to use a Viking as compared to the crappy
    apartment stove we have now.

    I loved it. Constant and even heat, didn't suffer from anemia, and was a
    full 36" model.

    Total cost: $800 - which is solidly in the infield of my ballpark. It's
    just that I don't want to haul it when we move.

    A viking for $800? or am I mis-reading?

    Dee Dee


    That's what I thought too. Maybe it was used?

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  12. "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    About a year ago, my sister and her boyfriend (now husband) moved into a
    home with an electric range in their kitchen. So, last night (New Years
    Eve), I was up until around 1:30am making food for my dad's birthday
    party, which my sister and I made at her house tonight.

    I cook with gas appliances; always have. So, the meatballs turned out
    great. I tried a few for breakfast. Delicious! This afternoon, I loaded
    the pot of meatballs into my car along with numerous other food items
    and drove to Jan and Rob's house. I got there right on time.

    I proceeded to put the pot of meatballs on my sister's range to warm
    them up. I cranked up her electric range to about 75% of maximum. A few
    minutes later, meatballs are bubbling away, so I turned off the heat. I
    realized I was late picking up a friend from a nearby train station, so
    I asked my sister to check on the meatballs, then I drove over to pick
    up my friend. I also did the same thing with the pot of homemade mac &
    cheese I made this morning.

    My sister calls me on my cell phone just as I arrived at the train
    station. Jan told me the meatballs are incinerated! I asked Jan to taste
    one. She does. Disgusting. While I was looking for my friend at the
    train station, Jan and Rob tried to wash off the meatballs, thinking it
    was the sauce that was burnt. No go. Fortunately, the train station is
    adjacent to a nice supermarket. My friend Jen and I went into the
    supermarket and I picked up three of those roasted chickens, and a roll
    of paper towels (that my sister requested).

    I got back to Jan and Rob's a few minutes later and Jan showed me that I
    must have not turned off the burner, as I thought I had. It was still
    on, but not on the high setting. I had no idea because the red color of
    the burner element went off, so I thought it was reasonably cool. If it
    was gas, I could have easily seen that the burner was not off.
    Fortunately, I did not make that mistake with the pot of mac & cheese,
    so it came out fine and it was a big hit at the party.

    My sister consoled me and she said it took her a while to get used to
    her electric range. Rob, the philosophy teacher (literally), also tried
    to console me, by explaining that the outcome was the same either way,
    in that we all got to enjoy some great food and nice company and we all
    had a nice time. But I would have much preferred not to have to spend an
    extra $20 on dinner (which my sister thanked me for), and I would have
    preferred those meatballs go into the guests' tummies rather than a
    garbage disposal. I will deal with the burnt pot tomorrow!

    Did I mention, I hate electric ranges? Whomever thought up the idea of
    an electric range out to be slaughtered and forced to eat my burned
    meatballs!

    I imagine how you view an appliance depends to a great extent upon the
    appliances and cookware you used when you learned to cook. I find no
    difference in gas and electric and wood when using most of my pans (no thin
    aluminum anywhere). Gas takes as long to heat my heavy commercial skillets
    and cast iron as does electric.

    However, I learned to cook with heavy cast iron and heavy top-grade
    commercial pans - I suppose I then learned to control the heat actually
    going into the food by using something other than a knob.

    ---------
    Gas has its advantages, but IMHE only occasionally in the actual cooking
    itself and never if you are using heavy pans: it has an advantage in net
    cost of installation, especially in large BTU commercial kitchens; it has
    the advantage in commercial operations in rapid control of multiple dishes,
    e.g., where ten dishes using ten gas burners allow ten adjustments separated
    without the attention to heat in each as is required of ten pans on a slow
    reacting slab; and we- found gas tops easier to clean/more forgiving of
    small spills in commercial kitchens. Electric has fewer clothing fires and
    grease flares - and no combustible gases.

    --------
    I cook with heavy pans on gas, electric (all three kinds), wood stove, and
    open fire without any noticeable problem switching.
    It also seems that my friends who use gas at home also seem to prefer
    thin aluminum pans.
    They can't cook water using an wood fire or wood stove without burning
    the pan. They have no clue about heat control when around an electric stove
    or when camping, and they are forever sticking pans and hands into the
    flames instead of using coals-and-logs, and poking sticks to change the
    flame.
    They have lost their knob, and with it went their cooking skills.

    --------
    Technically, when you turn the burner to 1200 BTU, the gas meter and the
    electric meter spin as soon as you turn the knob.
    A 1200 BTU gas burner and a 1200 BTU electric burner put the same amount
    of heat into the food and the pan.
    It takes the same amount of time to heat the pan and its contents
    completely when you use the same BTU source .
    In modern electric appliances, there is a few seconds lag while the element
    cover heats. In wood stoves, there is a significant lag in the damper
    adjustment

    What IS missing from electric heat sources is the visual feedback - turn
    up the electric, and you have to trust. Turn up the gas, and you instantly
    see more flame.

    -----------
    It also seems that people who can cook with gas and not with electric
    become very frustrated when the pan doesn't sizzle immediately after they
    turn the knob -
    Do they realize that the burner heat takes time to get to the middle of
    the food, and all they are seeing is the outside getting hot?
    I also swear that cooks who use gas stir food a lot more. I don't know
    if its because they have to, or if its their nature.

    fwiw

  13. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Mon 02 Jan 2006 10:02:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bill?

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:34:18p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

    > On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 22:57:52 -0500, Stan Horwitz <[email hidden]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > You never see an electric cooktop in a restaurant kitchen. They are
    > always gas.

    I'm not cooking in a restaurant kitchen.

    go Wayne...you tell em!

    Quoted message said:


    > These chefs know what's best - so there's no argument.

    What is arguable is whether what is best in a restaurant kitchen is also
    best for a home kitchen.

    ah...keep going Wayne...you know come to think of it....every
    restaurant kitchen I have ever been in had a gas range...there's got
    to be a logical reason for this?

    One of the reasons is economy, as gas is much cheaper to use commercially.
    If I'm not mistaken, ocean liners use electricity primarily for safety
    reasons, and they easily turn out huge volumes of generally excellent food.

    All the years I lived at home my parents had gas ranges. I never really
    liked cooking on them, and especially didn't like baking in the gas oven.
    I didn't fully realize how much I disliked it until I had my first
    apartment and had an electric cooktop and wall oven. When my mom helped me
    cook a holiday meal in my apartment, the following week she bought an
    electric range. Neither of us ever went back to gas.

    Why? I've cooked with both and can't imagine why someone would run
    out and buy an electric range after cooking on one, especially the
    cooktop.

    In a previous message you said:

    "If my home had a gas range, I would never ever cook until it had been
    replaced with an electric range. "

    The differences are not so great as to cause such hysteria.

    Could you be specific on what your problem is with gas ranges? I
    really don't understand.

    Sue(tm)
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

  14. Dee Randall said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon 02 Jan 2006 10:40:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it notbob?

    Quoted message said:

    On 2006-01-02, Stan Horwitz <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Did I mention, I hate electric ranges? Whomever thought up the idea of
    > an electric range out to be slaughtered and forced to eat my burned
    > meatballs!

    Ya' gotta be smarter than the tool.

    nb

    It's usually operator ignorance that causes problems.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Wayne, do you use this technique: When you want to get your pot a boilin',
    then you want the pot ingredients to die down to a simmer, do you set the
    pot off the stove while the burner temperature is lowering, or do you have
    another lower temperature burner waiting to set it on for simmering. This
    is my biggest complaint about cooking with electric and it drives me to a
    frenzy.
    Thanks,
    Dee Dee

    I have used electric stoves all of my life. I only take a pot off the
    burner if it is about to boil over. If you pay attention, you know
    when to turn the heat down.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974

  15. On Mon 02 Jan 2006 04:03:32p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Curly Sue?

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Mon 02 Jan 2006 10:02:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bill?

    Quoted message said:

    On 2 Jan 2006 06:42:58 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:34:18p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?
    >
    >> On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 22:57:52 -0500, Stan Horwitz <[email hidden]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> You never see an electric cooktop in a restaurant kitchen. They are
    >> always gas.
    >
    >I'm not cooking in a restaurant kitchen.

    go Wayne...you tell em!
    >
    >> These chefs know what's best - so there's no argument.
    >
    >What is arguable is whether what is best in a restaurant kitchen is
    >also best for a home kitchen.

    ah...keep going Wayne...you know come to think of it....every
    restaurant kitchen I have ever been in had a gas range...there's got
    to be a logical reason for this?

    One of the reasons is economy, as gas is much cheaper to use
    commercially. If I'm not mistaken, ocean liners use electricity
    primarily for safety reasons, and they easily turn out huge volumes of
    generally excellent food.

    All the years I lived at home my parents had gas ranges. I never really
    liked cooking on them, and especially didn't like baking in the gas
    oven. I didn't fully realize how much I disliked it until I had my
    first apartment and had an electric cooktop and wall oven. When my mom
    helped me cook a holiday meal in my apartment, the following week she
    bought an electric range. Neither of us ever went back to gas.

    Why? I've cooked with both and can't imagine why someone would run
    out and buy an electric range after cooking on one, especially the
    cooktop.

    In a previous message you said:

    "If my home had a gas range, I would never ever cook until it had been
    replaced with an electric range. "

    The differences are not so great as to cause such hysteria.

    Could you be specific on what your problem is with gas ranges? I
    really don't understand.

    I'm sure a gas stove user will object to my reasons, but here goes. I find
    gas combustion on any appliance to add certain levels of soil to the house.
    Gas burners allow far more heat to escape the pan bottom around the edges.
    Many, if not most, gas ranges have tipsy grates that lack the stability of
    a solid top. Gas cooktops are more difficult to clean. In general, gas
    ranges increase the room temperature in a kitchen more than electric.
    There is less chance of fire when there is no exposed flame, and certainly
    no chance of exploding gas. Lastly, why should I put up with even one of
    these negatives when I can cook perfectly well on an electric range.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    __________________________________________________________________
    And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

  16. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Mon 02 Jan 2006 10:19:04a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve Wertz?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If the burner was red while you were re-heating your meatballs,
    then it was too high to begin with. You should only see red when
    boiling something.

    [Assuming these are the external coil element burners]

    You can also see the red from the elements under a glass cooktop.

    Elements under glass are sometimes an exception. That's why I
    noted it. They can be red and still not produce heat enough to
    cook with.

    -sw

  17. On Mon 02 Jan 2006 05:26:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
    Wertz?

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Mon 02 Jan 2006 10:19:04a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
    Wertz?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If the burner was red while you were re-heating your meatballs, then
    it was too high to begin with. You should only see red when boiling
    something.

    [Assuming these are the external coil element burners]

    You can also see the red from the elements under a glass cooktop.

    Elements under glass are sometimes an exception. That's why I
    noted it. They can be red and still not produce heat enough to
    cook with.

    When the elements under the glass of my range glow read they are definitely
    hot enough to boil water. It must depend on the individual range.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    __________________________________________________________________
    And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

  18. "Peter Huebner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:


    Wayne, do you use this technique: When you want to get your pot a
    boilin',
    then you want the pot ingredients to die down to a simmer, do you set the
    pot off the stove while the burner temperature is lowering, or do you
    have
    another lower temperature burner waiting to set it on for simmering.
    This
    is my biggest complaint about cooking with electric and it drives me to
    a
    frenzy.
    Thanks,
    Dee Dee

    Ceramic cooktops are much more responsive than the solid element electric
    ranges. The only time I shift from one element to another is if I want to
    free
    up the fast front element for another pot (and set the rice to keep warm
    on the
    back burner). You can also half move a pot off the element to reduce heat
    even
    more quickly if something is frothing up.

    Actually, this is a consideration: the ceramic ranges come in two styles:
    buttons on the cooktop and buttons on a different panel - the latter have
    much
    more space on the cooktop to move pots around. The extra space is a big
    plus on
    our second one, come to think of it.

    -P.

    Thanks so much fyi. Are you able to use (if you have them) cast iron
    skillets or dutch oven; if so, do you have to pick them up to move them, or
    can you scoot them to one side of a ceramic cooktop element.
    Dee Dee

  19. hob said:
    Stan Horwitz said:

    Did I mention, I hate electric ranges? Whomever thought up the idea


    of

    Quoted message said:

    an electric range out to be slaughtered and forced to eat my burned
    meatballs!

    I imagine how you view an appliance depends to a great extent upon the

    appliances and cookware you used when you learned to cook.

    I can still remember the joy me mum expressed when her wood fired
    kitchen stove was replaced with electric back in the late 1950's.
    Getting electric light and a hot water heater was nice also but she was
    particularly enamoured of the electric stove. One of her least
    favcorite things to do was to get up early, before everybody else, and
    build a fire in that stove on a cold winter morning.

    Some relatives still maintain that the food does not taste as good
    cooked by electricity as it does by a wood fire and with fresh baked
    bread i think there might even be something to it, a bit of flavour
    being imparted by the wood fire.
    ---
    JL

  20. On Mon 02 Jan 2006 06:52:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    Quoted message said:


    "Peter Huebner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:


    Wayne, do you use this technique: When you want to get your pot a
    boilin', then you want the pot ingredients to die down to a simmer, do
    you set the pot off the stove while the burner temperature is
    lowering, or do you have another lower temperature burner waiting to
    set it on for simmering. This
    is my biggest complaint about cooking with electric and it drives me
    to a frenzy. Thanks,
    Dee Dee

    Ceramic cooktops are much more responsive than the solid element
    electric ranges. The only time I shift from one element to another is
    if I want to free up the fast front element for another pot (and set
    the rice to keep warm on the
    back burner). You can also half move a pot off the element to reduce
    heat even more quickly if something is frothing up.

    Actually, this is a consideration: the ceramic ranges come in two
    styles: buttons on the cooktop and buttons on a different panel - the
    latter have much more space on the cooktop to move pots around. The
    extra space is a big plus on
    our second one, come to think of it.

    -P.

    Thanks so much fyi. Are you able to use (if you have them) cast iron
    skillets or dutch oven; if so, do you have to pick them up to move them,
    or can you scoot them to one side of a ceramic cooktop element.
    Dee Dee

    All of my cast iron cookware is Le Creuset, but most of the bottoms are not
    enamelled. They work great on a smoothtop, however my preference is to
    pick them up insteading of sliding them. No point in tempting fate to have
    the glass scratched. In fact, I pick up all pans to move them.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    __________________________________________________________________
    And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.